Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbies to the halo franchise?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭

hi what do newcomers think of reach? i have fallen in love with it im so ashamed i hgad never played a halo game before this:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually, the good part of that is now you can play Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3 and ODST - Halo actually picks up exactly where Reach leaves off, on the Pillar of Autumn heading towards the Halo ring world. The only negative thing, naturally, would be that the graphics are a bit dated now, though it's still an awesome game. Myself and the housemate are going to play the first two games again after Reach. They don't do a whole lot new, really, but the Halo games are stellar. One thing - they're good in single player, but system link co-op is absolutely incredible (I really dislike split screen). Worth doing if you've got a friend to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive played halo 1,2 and 3 but would still consider myself new to it. This is the first halo I bought. Im playing it on legendary and my god is it hard.

Can anyone tell me is their any way of getting headshots that are a one shot kill or will the shields always come into effect? The sniper rifle is basically useless unless you can fire off 3-4 rounds in a row without reloading. Wondering about this for the single player and multiplayer.

Anyone else playing it on legendary? Do you find yourself basically dying every 5 minutes? Once you come up against a few elites its nearly impossible to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

hi what do newcomers think of reach? i have fallen in love with it im so ashamed i hgad never played a halo game before this:o

Didn't you have a thread slating the statue saying it looked cheap?? If you were new to the franchise then Bungie weren't aiming the Legendary edition at people new to the franchise, more to people who were into the Halo universe lulz

But yeah man, they're whopper games. Obviously the previous games are now pretty dated graphics-wise but if you play the campaigns you'll get into the story a lot more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Halo 1 is pretty ropey. Halo 2 still looks pretty good though; if you have a PC or Laptop, it's actually worth playing both games on them instead with the 360 controller as the graphics are infinitely better (high res and textures). Halo 2 also has achievements on the PC, which you obviously won't getting playing it on the 360.

joe123 wrote: »
    This is the first halo I bought. Im playing it on legendary and my god is it hard.......Can anyone tell me is their any way of getting headshots that are a one shot kill or will the shields always come into effect?

Use the "Noob Combo". Charge up a plasma pistol and get in close so the reticle turns red, and goes from 3 points to 6, this will lock your shot on. Release the plasma shot and immediately switch to a magnum or DMR and pump some bullets at your opponent's dome. The plasma shot will drop their shield, and from there a single headshot from a ballistic weapon will drop them.

FYI, plasma weapons are better at depleting shields, ballistic weapons are better at getting kills once the shield is gone.
    The sniper rifle is basically useless unless you can fire off 3-4 rounds in a row without reloading. Wondering about this for the single player and multiplayer.

The sniper rifle is still excellent in multiplayer, not as good in single player but still good. The thing to remember is always be reloaded with a full clip. The last thing you want to do is engage someone with a sniper and then have to reload after 1 shot. You'll lose the kill. Reload after EVERY time you engage somebody, as soon as it's safe to do so, and if it's not, switch to your backup until it is. Aim for the head, Ideally 1 or 2 shots will drop an enemy, but if you stay reloaded you'll have up to 4 tries.
    Once you come up against a few elites its nearly impossible to survive.

See "noob combo" above. It's by far the best way to engage the elites, regardless of which ones you encounter.

There are very specific uses for different weapons in halo, you'll get to figure them out, but when elites are nearby try to always have a plasma pistol handy. Concussion rifles are good too, if you drop one of the tougher elites he'll often have one, pry it out of his cold dead hand and use it to dust some of his buddies.

Don't underestimate the needler either, once the reticle is red, the needles will home in on your prey. Hit the mark with enough needles and it's a kill, regardless of shields, even on the elites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I'm a complete noob to halo and a relative noob to gaming in general. Got into the cod series last year as a way of chilling out without going to the pub. Picked up halo reach on monday to see what the fuss was about. LOVE IT!! It's just fun. While the cod games are brilliant etc. it's pretty stressful going (it is war i guess).
    But the halo multiplayer experience is just fun. Even the way you've got to pace your shots makes it a far less stressful experience than the cod games.

I fcukin suck right now but am enjoying it immensely, and am kicking myself I didn't get into the halo multiplayer world before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just pick this up half an hour ago. Never played a Halo game before.It's just finished installing. Can't wait to get stuck in. First impressions in a few hours.

Advertisement