Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kids left in the cold

• 15-09-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi, just wanted some opinions on this.

My daughter is in senior infants and last week her teacher was 10 mins late taking them inside to class (they have to line up in yard before class). It was lashing rain that morning and there are not enough shelter for the school in the yard.

Some parents complained to the principal about the children getting wet and her answer was the teachers dont start work till nine so all children must wait in yard till then. She was asked cant we bring them into class when its raining and the answer was no.

Also the teacher got held up talking to another teacher and that's why the class were left in the rain for the 10 minutes. I am not impressed with this what do you think.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

dangerus06 wrote: »
    Hi, just wanted some opinions on this.

My daughter is in senior infants and last week her teacher was 10 mins late taking them inside to class (they have to line up in yard before class). It was lashing rain that morning and there are not enough shelter for the school in the yard.

Some parents complained to the principal about the children getting wet and her answer was the teachers dont start work till nine so all children must wait in yard till then. She was asked cant we bring them into class when its raining and the answer was no.

Also the teacher got held up talking to another teacher and that's why the class were left in the rain for the 10 minutes. I am not impressed with this what do you think.

Whatever about being 10 minutes late, I imagine the children aren't allowed in due to insurance reasons about being left in the school on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

hi i understand about the insurance issue ,i only problem i had was my daughter was left out in the rain ,most of the parents wait till the teacher gets the children anyway.we offered to go into the classroom till teacher got there but we were shot down saying we werent police checked /which i understand but there our own children.they should let us in or supply some shelter from the weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I'm a bit confused by your post - you said that the children were let in ten minutes late, but then you said that the principal said teachers don't start work til 9. Do you mean the children were outside ten minutes early or they were only let in at ten past nine?

Children are not insured in the classroom without staff present. If the children were left in there would probably be people complaining that their children were left unsupervised.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What time does school start and what time were they brought in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

sorry i wast clear, they start at 9 she came out at 9.10 i understant staff do be late but she must have noticed the rain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the other children were gone in as school had started, then there should have been no problem bringing the children to the classroom. I don't understand how the principal could then say teachers didn't start until 9 if it was well after nine. The only time our teachers get held up is when parents insist on stopping a teacher "for a word" without appt. and if it were to be wet another teacher or the principal would ensure no class were left out in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thats just the way it is I think. I remember being left out in all weathers-rain and snow!! In pinafores no less! Just make sure she's wearing a rain jacket and heavy shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I remember this happening to us all the time when I was at school. My parents started work early so I'd be at the school a half hour before it started and left out in the rain/cold or whatever type of weather it was while the teachers relaxed inside. I realise it's an insurance issue but it's still a disgrace really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

id hardly call it a disgrace. teachers cant help if your parents went to work early. in our school parents would drop children at 7.30am if they thought teachers were there to supervise their children. therefore the doors open at 9.15 which is 5 mins before school begins. if you dont want your child getting wet drop them as near as you can to the time the door opens.
    dangerus06, you mentioned the teacher got held up by another teacher. so i imagine it wont be a regular occurance and wont happen again. esp if the principal was made aware of it and mentioned it to the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

PC nation once again...**** sake when I was in primary school there was a receptionist there from 8am and if there was no door unlocked you waited near reception where you could be kept an eye on.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    I remember this happening to us all the time when I was at school. My parents started work early so I'd be at the school a half hour before it started and left out in the rain/cold or whatever type of weather it was while the teachers relaxed inside. I realise it's an insurance issue but it's still a disgrace really.
    Tell me, would you expect your doctor to leave you in a half an hour before surgery opened?Or indeed to go to the bank branch half an hour before it opened??
    Not the school's fault if your parents chose to leave you in the rain,teachers are not babysitters, why didn't you ask your parents to pay a babysitter for that half an hour?? The OP is talking about after school official start time,a different ball-game altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Tell me, would you expect your doctor to leave you in a half an hour before surgery opened?Or indeed to go to the bank branch half an hour before it opened??
    Not the school's fault if your parents chose to leave you in the rain,teachers are not babysitters, why didn't you ask your parents to pay a babysitter for that half an hour?? The OP is talking about after school official start time,a different ball-game altogether.

I agree.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

If school is supposed to start at 9am then it should start at 9am and not 9:10am.

If the teacher was genuinely late with good reason then fair enough, but if the teacher was busy chatting for 10 minutes past the official start time then that is just inconsiderate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

It was most unfortunate that children got wet. However I too have seen parents who expect teachers to be babysitters dropping them off miles too early. This is negligence on a parents part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I don't understand why the Deputy or a LST or whoever else is free didn't take the children in! That's what happens in my school. Were they unsupervised in the yard for these 10 min? I'd be more concerned about that then about the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Major question is : were children dropped off by parents EARLY to a yard that they should know would be unsupervised. Schools should not have to take responsibility for children dropped off early and collected late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Major question is : were children dropped off by parents EARLY to a yard that they should know would be unsupervised. Schools should not have to take responsibility for children dropped off early and collected late.

Based on my understanding of what the OP has posted this issue isn't about dropping off kids early.

I think the original issue for discussion here was having the kids standing about in the rain for 10 minutes past 9am when they were supposed to be in the classroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

10 mins in the rain is not going to kill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

It will in 2010 :p

As parents, we don't like to see our children getting wet. The original heading for this was, 'Kids left in the cold'. We're talking about September and a warm September at that.
    There are a number of issues. A teacher may genuinely have been detained or delayed but it seems unusual that the chilodren would have been there for 10 minutes in the rain. Are we sure it wasn't just a couple of minutes?
    The matter of leaving children in before time is a significant one for insurances reasons. Unfortunately, some parents abuse the situation up and down the country. Some, who are happy to drop young children before 8 a.m., unsupervised while others are happy to go into the school and would happily spend a half an hour in the classroom, when the teacher needs to be getting on with the day. Sadly, there are others who would happily keep the teacher chatting or strike up a big conversation with another parent but this is inappropriate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

a bit of rain never killed anyone, it's Ireland, it rains a lot.
    the school has to protect itself from claims, that is why the children cannot go into the classroom without a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - Question:

How did you know your child was out in the rain for 10 mins? Were you standing there with him/her waiting for their entry into the school? And if so, were you also wet or did you have a car/umbrella?

Also, if it's 9am, shouldn't there be more than 1 teacher and/or administrator around to watch the kids inside the building? Even 1-room schools have more than 1 adult present at any given time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

dangerus06 wrote: »
    sorry i wast clear, they start at 9 she came out at 9.10 i understant staff do be late but she must have noticed the rain

The school are clearly in the wrong then. If the teacher was late for any reason someone else should have been made responsible for bringing them in from the playground and supervising them.

Okie Doke, this thread is starting to go around in circles. I'll lock it soon if no one has anything new to add to preceding :)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Okie Doke, this thread is starting to go around in circles. I'll lock it soon if no one has anything new to add to preceding :)

I don't think that would be such a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

I agree with D4Rk ONION on this one. Definitely seems to be going around in circles and surprised it hasn't been locked before now.:mad:

And that's the end of that. Thanks for the input on the discussion everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement