Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH & Perceived Sexism

Options
  • 16-09-2010 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

A lot of arguments made here (once you get past the usual AH bs): http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056033100

I'm not going to rehash everything, but as a summary for those who aren't aware, there was a thread recently which spawned a few misogynistic attacks towards a few female AH posters, including myself. The remarks in question are quoted a few times in the above thread if you care to search them, you can also find them in my post history if that's easier.

Basically, a lot of girls are upset about the general attitude towards women that seems to be increasing in AH. The majority of the women's opinions is basically that light-hearted jesting is fine (e.g. "Get in the kitchen! :p") but personal attacks on posters who have done absolutely nothing to trigger it (e.g. dismissing posts with what amounts to "you're an ugly manhating feminazi" while ignoring any valid points a female poster has made) are unacceptable.

A few of us feel that while racism, sexuality, religion, and politics are incredibly well moderated and kept as clean as possible, remarks against women tend to be greatly overlooked.

Personally, my desire is to simply make things equal for all groups. I believe snide, snarky remarks clearly intended to offend should not be made towards anyone, not only women, but because I am female and this issue has currently come up it's what the focus of this thread will be on, so hopefully it will not end up in a "well what about OUR group?"-- if you feel that way, start your own thread, but please do not turn this into a men vs. women or women vs. anything debate or "my group has it just as bad as/worse than yours" pissing contests.

Hopefully the other women will share their personal views, as I can't speak for everyone.

Edited to say, can anything be done about the juvenile references to the matter at hand in various threads cropping up around AH? It's incredibly demeaning that us trying to stand up for ourselves is met with mockery and a slew of new snide in-jokes. Really doesn't help encourage other women to express their views and kind of makes a point for the ones who were making references to feeling intimidated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

gb2kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Winters Post above reported, anyone else who think's it's out of line in this thread please report it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Chrissake.

You know what? I give up. This obviously will never be taken seriously (this is Feedback, not AH ffs), I don't know why on earth I thought that it would.

Can you like, just not make a joke for once? Just once? When I'm trying to actually start a real discussion on something that concerns a large amount of boards users?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Jokes about, or made at the expense of, women are treated far more leniently than other areas of prejudice. The thread liah flagged was an extreme example of this, and should have been caught by a Mod earlier. There are clearly a number of female boardsies who feel their voices aren't respected. I'm not advocating censorship of AH, but I think Mods could step in a bit more often when comments about female posters become overtly derogatory. The lack of patrolling or discipline has led us all to believe that sexism of various shades of seriousness is acceptable. This should be clarified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Jokes about, or made at the expense of, women are treated far more leniently than other areas of prejudice. The thread liah flagged was an extreme example of this, and should have been caught by a Mod earlier. There are clearly a number of female boardsies who feel their voices aren't respected. I'm not advocating censorship of AH, but I think Mods could step in a bit more often when comments about female posters become overtly derogatory. The lack of patrolling or discipline has led us all to believe that sexism of various shades of seriousness is acceptable. This should be clarified.

umm.. you are advocating censorship of AH. That is exactly what you are advocating. There's not even any wriggle room about it.

• Advertisement

liah wrote: »
    Chrissake.

You know what? I give up. This obviously will never be taken seriously (this is Feedback, not AH ffs), I don't know why on earth I thought that it would.

Can you like, just not make a joke for once? Just once? When I'm trying to actually start a real discussion on something that concerns a large amount of boards users?

Liah those two are ex mods and trolls by any other name.
    Don't let them get to you, and don't let them goad you into getting into a tit for tat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'd like to second what Liah has said. Much of AH is lighthearted banter and that's what makes it fun but the concept of 'attack the post, not the poster' doesn't always appear to apply if the original poster is female. It'd be great if this wasn't allowed to slide. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

liah to answer your question, personal attacks are NEVER acceptable.

The kitchen thing is funny (from a fellas POW) but if you, or any other FM poster feels like this, report the crap out of it :)

To illiterate:
    'Liah, get in the kitchen' IS abuse
    'woman, get in the kitchen' is an attempt at humour, and should be seen as nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Liah those two are ex mods and trolls by any other name.
    Don't let them get to you, and don't let them goad you into getting into a tit for tat with them.

I actually legally changed my middle name to "Troll".

AH is AH, a hey mix of random spouted idiocy with added idiocy. Why not have a similar thread on a more respectable forum where more logical and higher class posting is carried out in?

umm.. you are advocating censorship of AH. That is exactly what you are advocating. There's not even any wriggle room about it.

And you're speaking without actually having a clue about anything the thread is about. You're what we're sick of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Can I restate what I said in the other thread, as I feel it was lost in the crossfire?

If a sanitized general discussion forum is desired, why isn't one created? Attempts to change AH will not work.

Tallon wrote: »
    liah to answer your question, personal attacks are NEVER acceptable.

The kitchen thing is funny (from a fellas POW) but if you, or any other FM poster feels like this, report the crap out of it :)

To illiterate:
    'Liah, get in the kitchen' IS abuse
    'woman, get in the kitchen' is an attempt at humour, and should be seen as nothing more

Funny how if you mirror that with the line "men are bastards" it get up male posters noses in ah, same with the "men are rapists".

I don't need you to tell me what I am or am not advocating. I'm advocating fair modding, not censorship.

And you're speaking without actually having a clue about anything the thread is about. You're what we're sick of.

I have been following this controversy for a full four minutes.

Can I restate what I said in the other thread, as I feel it was lost in the crossfire?

If a sanitized general discussion forum is desired, why isn't one created? Attempts to change AH will not work.

Because the admins have said no time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liah if there is a thread about this in After Hours already, why did you feel the need to come here to talk about the exact same subject?

I don't need you to tell me what I am or am not advocating. I'm advocating fair modding, not censorship.

so you want the mods to clamp down on speech you find unacceptable, but you don't want censorship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Light-hearted jokes about women, even 'sexist' ones should stay. Along with other topics. I'd hate to see another whittling away of previously-allowed funnehs.

Clearly some of the posts in the Sexual Harassment thread were nasty - the 'feminazi' ones already alluded to were the pits: even more so for me because they were aimed at a female poster that I respect a lot. That said: to me they breached more general boundaries anyway: personal attacks and trolling, for example

so you want the mods to clamp down on speech you find unacceptable, but you don't want censorship?

It depends how you define clamp down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It depends how you define clamp down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I remember posting in AH about something reasonably serious and the well thanked response was they were going to stick a finger in me.

The sheer volume of posts and one-liners would never be trotted out to the same extent advocating discrimination against race or physically harming another race or whatever because it would be accompanied by a ton of bricks waving a ban-stick, that's the annoying thing.

Okay, I've bolded and put in red the exact type of sexism we're upset with.

How can you possibly argue that that sort of sexism is okay?

And stop with the "don't take away AH's jokes!" We're not! We still make jokes about gays, men, women, poles, brits, etc. etc. without being offensive. The problem is, when offensive comments are made TO gays, men, poles, brits, etc. etc. the issue is usually resolved within a matter of minutes. When it's in reference to women, it's seen as completely fine.

I don't understand why this is so unbelievably unreasonable to some of you and I think it's kind of frightening how hard some men are fighting for their "right" to be offensive towards women.

Last time:
    JOKES = FINE
    OFFENSIVE MISOGYNISTIC ATTACKS = NOT FINE

Not sure how many more times I'm going to have to say it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't think this thread is about 'woman' but more about the abuse that certain woman posters are subject to, and in turn, pawned off as general feminist slagging

no, it really doesn't

there is quite a bit of censorship on AH. racism, travellerism, romaism. if you want censorship, just come out and admit it. we can at least have a discussion about that, but so long as you're outright refusing to be straight with us I don't see how this can proceed much further.

I feel given the current scandals I should point out I didn't intend to be homophobic when i asked that you 'be straight' with us.

--edit

damnit all, stop posting until i've had a chance to reply to the post I wanted to reply to

super-rush wrote: »
    Liah if there is a thread about this in After Hours already, why did you feel the need to come here to talk about the exact same subject?

Because it was suggested by multiple people within the thread to start one in feedback. So I did. Is there a problem? I just felt the matter might be taken more seriously over here, although apparently I was wrong. Move it wherever you wish I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Funny how if you mirror that with the line "men are bastards" it get up male posters noses in ah, same with the "men are rapists".

Ahem.... you're wrong, and I bet there wasn't one reported post, nobody on thread complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Because it was suggested by multiple people within the thread to start one in feedback. So I did. Is there a problem? I just felt the matter might be taken more seriously over here, although apparently I was wrong. Move it wherever you wish I guess.

The AH Mod team are taking this very seriously.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I remember posting in AH about something reasonably serious and the well thanked response was they were going to stick a finger in me.

The sheer volume of posts and one-liners would never be trotted out to the same extent advocating discrimination against race or physically harming another race or whatever because it would be accompanied by a ton of bricks waving a ban-stick, that's the annoying thing.

Just so you know. I think I may have thanked this post for COMPLETELY different reasons to the other thankers.

Sound.

no, it really doesn't

there is quite a bit of censorship on AH. racism, travellerism, romaism. if you want censorship, just come out and admit it. we can at least have a discussion about that, but so long as you're outright refusing to be straight with us I don't see how this can proceed much further.

I feel given the current scandals I should point out I didn't intend to be homophobic when i asked that you 'be straight' with us.

--edit

damnit all, stop posting until i've had a chance to reply to the post I wanted to reply to

I would admit it if I did, but I don't. This I interpret to be trolling, ie intentionally derailing the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thats a bit unfair don't you think. I've read back through the thread and you have been listened to and Mickey D has been cleaning up the thread as quickly as he can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement