Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH & Perceived Sexism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Are you going to ask me if I have my period now?

I had mentioned in a post that I agreed with some of your initial post. I've removed that now, because I think what you posted afterwards completely and utterly discredits your points. This is all getting a bit ridiculous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

This is all getting a bit ridiculous tbh.

It's mad that the thread has run for so long and with such intensity on both sides. It clearly touches some kind of nerve for quite a few posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

phasers wrote: »
    Now you're trying to make this about your being female?

Seriously?

Dramatic is not usually a term applied to things that men say. Like hysterical, it's a label reserved for something a woman says, or a fag.

Yeah yeah, I was being over dramatic, liah was hallucinating, right. That is part of the point and part of the problem.

Just because you cant or wont see what someone is talking about, doesn't make them the one who is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Dramatic is not usually a term applied to things that men say. Like hysterical, it's a label reserved for something a woman says, or a fag.

Yeah yeah, I was being over dramatic, liah was hallucinating, right. That is part of the point and part of the problem.

Just because you cant or wont see what someone is talking about, doesn't make them the one who is wrong.

Whut??? I had no way of knowing whether you were male or female by your post, yet I still thought it was dramatic and hyterical.

I really don't know what you're trying to say with this post :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OK now I think you're trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yeah yeah, I was being over dramatic,

Correct
    liah was hallucinating, right.

Not correct, and if you read the last few posts before you waded in you would realise that the thread was approachig a rather positive end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Post reported for using a derogatory term.

(wish you could report a post for being blathering nonsense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That was actually the definition of dramatic in my dictionary :rolleyes:

So now liah's gone all the animosity switches to metrovelvet? It seems like there's consistently been a minority for a majority to turn on in this thread and the one that inspired it.

snyper wrote: »
    thread was approachig a rather positive end

There you have it. Pause your sky plus boxes here. Then wait for George Hook to come with a big lock screaming "I LOOOOOOVE HAPPY ENDINGS. I WOULD LIKE TO SHAKE THE HAND OF THE PERSON THAT INVENTED HAPPY ENDINGS"
    Then we all go back to AH and remember to report posts.

Yes? No?

Please somebody stop the madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

There you have it. Pause your sky plus boxes here. Then wait for George Hook to come with a big lock screaming "I LOOOOOOVE HAPPY ENDINGS. I WOULD LIKE TO SHAKE THE HAND OF THE PERSON THAT INVENTED HAPPY ENDINGS"
    Then we all go back to AH and remember to report posts.

Yes? No?

Please somebody stop the madness

I think it needs a Gerry Springer moment of reflection instead:D

So now liah's gone all the animosity switches to metrovelvet? It seems like there's consistently been a minority for a majority to turn on in this thread and the one that inspired it.

If i post something along the lines of "FF are not responsable for the downturn of our economy, it's not the bankers either, its useless dole scroungung bastards and single mothers milking the system that are killing us" What do you think the majority reaction would be?

Can i expect that i will be defended in equal measure? This point im making has nothing to do with the main topic at hand but more to specifically reply to your post. If metro is goind to be dramatic and post nonsence and offensive words like "fag" most people wont defend her/him/whatever.

Yeah I think so. I think, on balance, we all know what's right. We all like to laugh at bold jokes. Half of the fun is in the boldness and none of us want AH sanitized. It's true that the laziest target, the easiest laugh, is women. Having read a few threads over the past few days it seems most of the male posters see this too, in other words, they know a lame sexist joke when they see one.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Post reported for using a derogatory term.

(wish you could report a post for being blathering nonsense)

I was being ironic.

If i post something along the lines of "FF are not responsable for the downturn of our economy, it's not the bankers either, its useless dole scroungung bastards and single mothers milking the system that are killing us" What do you think the majority reaction would be?

Can i expect that i will be defended in equal measure? This point im making has nothing to do with the main topic at hand but more to specifically reply to your post. If metro is goind to be dramatic and post nonsence and offensive words like "fag" most people wont defend her/him/whatever.

I think if you look at the context she used the word purposefully. Sexist and homophobic jokes are a cheap laugh, which seems to be half the point of AH (!) and she was connecting the two on purpose. She was not being homophobic.

I was being ironic.

Thats not Irony

Thats not Irony

But you don't think she meant it sincerely?

Hopelessness of all written communication .. no tone ..

I think if you look at the context she used the word purposefully. Sexist and homophobic jokes are a cheap laugh, which seems to be half the point of AH (!) and she was connecting the two on purpose. She was not being homophobic.

no she wasn't. She was making an accusation about me without saying it because if it was directly aimed at me, I could report her for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's definitely an air of ganging up. I'm not surprised liah is overwhelmed. Who could stand up against such an onslaught?
    I've been known to on occassion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats not Irony
    Which would make that... Irony?

• Advertisement

no she wasn't. She was making an accusation about me without saying it because if it was directly aimed at me, I could report her for personal abuse.

Dramatic much?

You two got in a heated exchanged. IMO it's pretty evenly weighted.

Overheal wrote: »
    I've been known to on occassion ;)

I'll have to dredge through you history for your confirmation, but if you've managed to battle through the bones of a thousand posts over two pages .. eh, fair play :confused:

I fully agree there, the one thing i dislike about the internet

This is the nastiest thread I have ever come across on boards. Its actually more disgusting than anything I've read on AH

However Anny, there is no tone needed there - to say that this thread is nasty and disgusting is been dramatic. It has been a heated debate, frustrating at times, but ive enjoyed the discussion and think its unfair to label it such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

I fully agree there, the one thing i dislike about the internet

When you put some thought into it, tone is easily expressed via the written medium.

:rolleyes:

However Anny, there is no tone needed there - to say that this thread is nasty and disgusting is been dramatic. It has been a heated debate, frustrating at times, but ive enjoyed the discussion and think its unfair to label it such

But as you said Snyper, and I think it was a very good point, things get heated on a lot of threads .. on the politics threads .. on the threads in which sexual orientation becomes an issue .. on the "class/scumbag" threads .. to name but a few .. Metro was standing up for liah and, I think, probably felt embattled. It's so tempting to take a few steps further when we're trying to make a point. Her intentions were good. I've been with this thread since the start. I got too tired from the first day and only returned now, and my opinion of the male boardsies has improved a lot in the interim. I do now think that the vast majority is light hearted banter and most people spot the bad apple. I also think that the place might be a wee bit better off for this .. exhausting .. thread, well hope so anyway.

It has been a heated debate, frustrating at times, but ive enjoyed the discussion and think its unfair to label it such

I don't know if I enjoyed it but liah made some good points that were answered before they got lost in the flurry of posts and thread went off on a tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Metro was standing up for liah and, I think, probably felt embattled.

liah was well able to stand up for herself and certainly doesn't need help from a troll

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    liah was well able to stand up for herself and certainly doesn't need help from a troll

Ah now .. sure wasn't she saying she was ill by the end. And I wouldn't be surprised. After the first day I was exhausted and swore I wouldn't return *shakes fist*

I don't know why I'm bothering at this stage.
    Metro was standing up for liah and, I think, probably felt embattled. It's so tempting to take a few steps further when we're trying to make a point.

Round of applause for Metro for standing up for liah. If Metro read liahs original post, Metro would see that liah asked for silly references to sexism to be put on the back burner for a while.

So, why does Metro come and say something like this:
    Are you going to ask me if I have my period now?

It completely highlights Metro in the exact opposite way to what she wants to be seen as.

I make points, but if I'm making a point during a direct discussion with a girl, I don't turn around and say "Are you going to ask me if I want to get in your knickers now?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah, to be fair Kaiser, even if you viewed Metrovelvet's comments as trolling, she isn't a troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement