Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horticulture in Rush, Is there a future?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Since its been hinted that alot of posters in here live in Rush or come from the area I thought I would start this topic to allow people to reexamine a way of life they grew up with. Now if you read any of my history posts you will notice like alot of villages and towns Rush has gone through periods of dependency on different industries some of which have overlapped, fishing in the 1800s, horticulture and tourism in the 1900s. Now horticulture remains the major industry in the town but there has been a steady decline from a Horticulture based local economy to a communter belt town economy.

In previous years it was easier for residents of Rush to relate to the horticulture industry because they would have had some experience themselves working within the industry in full or part time jobs but now with the industry in decline, labour laws, the high level of new residents and mechanisation local understanding has declined. So my question is will Rush be better off without the horticulture industry in the future? Can what is left of the industry co-exist together with the residents like in the past?

Pros of the end of the industry in Rush
    Less Chemicals(pesticides, fertilizers) in local enviroment- the town doesn't have one organic farm.
    Less traffic disruption from farm machinery and mud on roads
    Less noise disturbance - from machinary(bangers) tractors in early mornings
    Better visual appearance to the town- not much you can do with a 1970s Venlo glasshouse to make it look good looking. Sundrive rd south shore rd
    Less pollution to the ground water, streams and soil from pesticides, soil sterilisation.
    Frees up land banks in poorly planned parts of the town that could be used by FCC to better plan the town.

I didn't do the negatives as I know somebody will mention them.

Advertisement