Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running into a bit of trouble guys

Options
  • 16-09-2010 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

well i finally put my pc together last nite and it went fairly easy for my first time but for some reason when i attach a monitor to it im not getting any signal, the pc powers up ( a load of leds switch on as well as the fans) but no output :( any really simple things i might have missed (i have the mobo 8 pin and 24 pin in), also how much pressure do you have to put down on the cpu latch? i was fairly nervous at that point as i didnt know whether i was breaking the cpu or not :o
    Specs: i7 930
    gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard
    OCZ 1600Mhz Ram
    Antec 1000 W PSU
    gigabyte GTX 460 1 gig
    HAF 922

Any ideas guys im fairly disappointed it didnt work first time :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Did you connect the power to the graphics card?
    The arm on the cpu holder should slide under a small latch, presuming it is the right way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i did get the cpu arm under the latch and i know the cpu was in the right orientation as the two little triangles lined up as well as the two notches that are on the sides of the cpu as well its just that i had to put a bit of pressure to get the latch down (is this normal?) ive given it to a computer reapair and assembly guy i know anyway so i guess il find out whether its a broken component (fingers crossed its not) or just my incompetence :)

cork45 wrote: »
    Did you connect the power to the graphics card?
    The arm on the cpu holder should slide under a small latch, presuming it is the right way around.

also ya i attached the 2 six pin connectors onto the GPU (gtx 460)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Unplug those 2 6pins connections. I think nvidia cards will make a beeping noise if power is needed but not plugged in.
    Test if the card is functioning at that low level

Unplug those 2 6pins connections. I think nvidia cards will make a beeping noise if power is needed but not plugged in.
    Test if the card is functioning at that low level

ive a professional guy looking at it right now so im sure he will let me know if the GPU is dead would really suck if it was the case, hate when this crap happens took my sweet time building it up till around 2 o clock this morning only for it not to work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It's always handy to have a spare old graphics card to double check, even an old pci card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

...any really simple things i might have missed...

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Is the card seated properly?

Is the video cable connected at both ends?

Is the monitor switched to the correct source input?

Have you checked that everything is seated properly?

And last but not least - is one of your RAM modules dead? Try using just one stick in different slots, then do the same with the second. Was there any beeps from the mobo?

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Is the card seated properly?

Is the video cable connected at both ends?

Is the monitor switched to the correct source input?

Have you checked that everything is seated properly?

And last but not least - is one of your RAM modules dead? Try using just one stick in different slots, then do the same with the second. Was there any beeps from the mobo?

if this guy cant get it working for me il try all of these, im pretty sure there were beeps coming from the motherboard but then again the last time i tried was 2 o clock this morning so :D all i know is that all the mobo leds where on as well as all the system fans and the cpu fan, of course i forgot to check the GPU fans :) its probably something really small that i forgot because i even managed setting all the front panel connectors properly (part i was dreading the most) if its a faulty gpu whats the procedure for an RMA (bought everything from pixmania); also is it normal to S***t yourself when putting the cpu arm into place, i was so afraid id break something doing it :D (same with the cooler actually)

just letting ye know that my problem was mainly from not having my RAM seated properly (could have sworn i clicked it in on both ends for the 3 pieces :confused: ) and he also said my fans weren't in properly?? is there a difference when you connect 1 fan to say sys fan 1 2 or 3? i think he might have been on about the cpu fan myself as i had some trouble getting it on the board and that seems like it would stop me from booting as case fans wouldnt

just letting ye know that my problem was mainly from not having my RAM seated properly (could have sworn i clicked it in on both ends for the 3 pieces :confused: ) and he also said my fans weren't in properly?? is there a difference when you connect 1 fan to say sys fan 1 2 or 3? i think he might have been on about the cpu fan myself as i had some trouble getting it on the board and that seems like it would stop me from booting as case fans wouldnt
    Yeah as a rule of thumb, booting up for the first time should be done with the case open.

• Advertisement

well installing windows now so i should be all good :)

Thanks for all the help guys ive got everything up and running as of right now :D just ran crysis at 1900x1080 all very high with 2x aa and it was very smooth so im delighted

Thanks for all the help guys ive got everything up and running as of right now :D just ran crysis at 1900x1080 all very high with 2x aa and it was very smooth so im delighted
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334204

il throw some picture up as soon as i can, im going to try and do some cable management before i do though.....oh damn i just realized how to turn the red led on my front fan on classs

Advertisement