Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Commercial Salmon Fishing

Options
  • 16-09-2010 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Any one else ever see this:

legal netting... tag only the big ones... and sell the small ones on the side...

fillet the salmon at sea... and bring the filets to the local smoker ... no need to put a tag on a filleted fish...

Iv seen boxes of filleted salmon come off a boat and straight to the smoker.... no tags...

If someone has a licence to commercially fish, would they kill more than there quota to feed there family and pay all the bills and more... hhhhmmm... nnnnoooooooooo .... this country is not greedy .... LMAO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

legal netting... tag only the big ones... and sell the small ones on the side...

fillet the salmon at sea... and bring the filets to the local smoker ... no need to put a tag on a filleted fish...

Iv seen boxes of filleted salmon come off a boat and straight to the smoker.... no tags...

If someone has a licence to commercially fish, would they kill more than there quota to feed there family and pay all the bills and more... hhhhmmm... nnnnoooooooooo .... this country is not greedy .... LMAO

oh god no they would not do any of that......i am horrified by your allegation.....dont say anything thats not PC or you get slap on the wrist ..............they are nice boys and they would not dream of even doing the slightest thing illegal.........tut tut.....from the high moral ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Can i just say, you are as mad as a bag of spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Rycn wrote: »
    Can i just say, you are as mad as a bag of spiders.

I would nearly go as far as a box of frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A bucket of badgers:eek:

the animal rights activists will be on to ya..............the poor spiders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Your mad for the poaching/illegal stuff at the moment. I'm afraid its just a fact of life (and probably even a touch of Irish greed). There will always be poachers/illegal activity, no matter what area you are in let alone the fishing area.
    Just be careful one of these lads don't give ya a box for asking them "are those illegal Salmon" or getting caught pulling some fella's nets from the river. Just get onto the local fisheries board and ask them to investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

the animal rights activists will be on to ya..............the poor spiders

the animal rights activists will be happy to know that because there are less commercial salmon fishermen there are more seals now...

why...

cus they shot them all

syboit wrote: »
    Your mad for the poaching/illegal stuff at the moment. I'm afraid its just a fact of life (and probably even a touch of Irish greed). There will always be poachers/illegal activity, no matter what area you are in let alone the fishing area.
    Just be careful one of these lads don't give ya a box for asking them "are those illegal Salmon" or getting caught pulling some fella's nets from the river. Just get onto the local fisheries board and ask them to investigate.

ill pull every net i see and so should every one else and ring the gards before you do it... so they know where you are and may provide protection while you do it... if you think you need it....;) ... this poaching lark has gone on long enough... its the people who fish legally should protect the rivers..

the more information you send to the board of fisheries the more successful they will be with there limited time and funding..

and yes im not to happy about all the poaching stuff after watching a river all summer and the poor thing is nearly dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

oh god no they would not do any of that......i am horrified by your allegation.....dont say anything thats not PC or you get slap on the wrist ..............they are nice boys and they would not dream of even doing the slightest thing illegal.........tut tut.....from the high moral ground

[RANT]
    by any chance....are you using .... multiple accounts.....???

Your posts would be much easier to follow if you used some punctuation and checked your spelling.
    [/RANT]

fiacha wrote: »
    [RANT]

Your posts would be much easier to follow if you used some punctuation and checked your spelling.
    [/RANT]

lmao... now who is getting paranoid... i think ironbluedun might be insulted to be called a fish beater....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I agree with the lads there are more geniune bona fide anglers on our rivers than poachers, but unfortunately in Ireland there is a tradition of poaching that has been passed on from one generation in a family to the next.

Regarding nets personally I like tear big fcuking holes in them and nail a big log to them & put them back so that when mister poacher comes back to check on his net to his delight he finds it "laden down with salmon" & spends half an hour trying to pull out a big log.
    Simples!!!

TimMac wrote: »
    I agree with the lads there are more geniune bona fide anglers on our rivers than poachers, but unfortunately in Ireland there is a tradition of poaching that has been passed on from one generation in a family to the next.

Regarding nets personally I like tear big fcuking holes in them and nail a big log to them & put them back so that when mister poacher comes back to check on his net to his delight he finds it "laden down with salmon" & spends half an hour trying to pull out a big log.
    Simples!!!

could not agree more....something has to be done.

fiacha wrote: »
    [RANT]

[/RANT]

hello fiacha.... You are very much mistaken in your questioning.... regular posters here will know that …..but no offence incurred…..you were not to know...

with regards to spelling etc....it does not matter that much...i think its better to post, debate and contribute rather than to be silent and worry what others think about your spelling etc........

lmao... now who is getting paranoid... i think ironbluedun might be insulted to be called a fish beater....:)

Certainly....... considering your attitude to C&R and conservation…..well what can you say……

Fellas have to be careful too Ironbluedun I live right next to the river.
    The vast majority of these poachers have absolutely no conscience when it comes to fish or humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

ill pull every net i see and so should every one else and ring the gards before you do it... so they know where you are and may provide protection while you do it... if you think you need it....;) ... this poaching lark has gone on long enough... its the people who fish legally should protect the rivers..

the more information you send to the board of fisheries the more successful they will be with there limited time and funding..

and yes im not to happy about all the poaching stuff after watching a river all summer and the poor thing is nearly dead...

Have to agree with you there, about protecting the rivers, but doing it in a safe/legal way. Dunno about protection from the gardai but defintely ring them so people don't think your the poacher :).

Love the idea about nailing a log to the net, imagine the look on some guys face dragging it in, priceless.

Fellas have to be careful too Ironbluedun I live right next to the river.
    The vast majority of these poachers have absolutely no conscience when it comes to fish or humans.

That’s very true indeed, I heard a about a case of poaching from the river fane recently and what the guys did in the days after the event (about two - three weeks ago) was totally disgraceful and utterly disrespectful….the details of which are too sick to discuss here….the point is these people are nothing short of savages and I don’t say that lightly or flippantly…….

well there have been instances where older fellas have been angling on rivers in west cork & have been told to **** off out of it by a group of younger men because they wanted to net it, I mean thats uncalled for its bad enough netting the but intimidating genuine anglers.

I had one experience last year with poachers fishing late one summers evening last year on a river in west cork. I was just packing up my gear it was dark at this stage. when two fellas arrived on the opposite side of the river smoking & talking. one of them took out his mobile & gave directions which went like this
    "ya we are straight across from the church I have the nets"

At this point I discreetly rang the baliff who said he was on his way, am still waiting for him to arrive!

iv had the same experience at night... lads trying to bully me off a pool... ill have none of it... ill sit there till dawn all i can say is F them:D

Certainly....... considering your attitude to C&R and conservation…..well what can you say……

everything in moderation... :)

• Advertisement

Oh im exactly the same but they wouldnt dare say it to a young fella its the old lads they prefer to hassle, fcuking cowards.
    iv had the same experience at night... lads trying to bully me off a pool... ill have none of it... ill sit there till dawn all i can say is F them:D

Oh im exactly the same but they wouldnt dare say it to a young fella its the old lads they prefer to hassle, fcuking cowards.

what makes you think im young.... :) .. flattery will get you everywhere LMAO

to be totally honest those guys are as scared of you as you are of them... in the dark....

i freak them out... as i am not worried... :)and they can hear it in my voice... and they bugger off... and how do they know that my other mates are not a stones throw .... heheheheheh bullies stay in groups... in the dark they cant even see each other... they are chicken....

they are doing something illegal... you are there just to fish... they are a lot more worried....

Yera the idoits will be too busy pulling lumps of trees out of the river to even notice little ole me!!!:)
    right im outta here going to actually do a bit of fishing instead of talking about it.
    How did ya get on in the blackwater at the wekend?
    what makes you think im young....:) .. flattery will get you everywhere LMAO

to be totaly honest those guys are as scared of you as you are of them... in the dark....

i freak them out... as i am not worried... and they can hear it in my voice... and they bugger off... and how do they know that my other mates are not a stones throw .... heheheheheh:)

Yera the idoits will be too busy pulling lumps of trees out of the river to even notice little ole me!!!:)
    right im outta here going to actually do a bit of fishing instead of talking about it.
    How did ya get on in the blackwater at the wekend?

did not pull a salmon, only gave it a few hours..., conditions were not the best

did you go yourself?

no I heard the water was poor, plus my fly reel is after packing up after only a few months reckon ill keep my money in my pocket & invest in a good one for next season.
    did not pull a salmon, only gave it a few hours..., conditions were not the best

did you go yourself?

no I heard the water was poor, plus my fly reel is after packing up after only a few months reckon ill keep my money in my pocket & invest in a good one for next season.

sure the salmon that are running in the low water are so small you would not even need a reel...

hope there will be a small flood soon, but doubt it......i think everyone is waiting for next season... as this one was the worst ever seen on the Blackwater

this one was the worst ever seen on the Blackwater

oh was it that bad??

oh was it that bad??

depends what location you were.... but it was slow... i did not get a pull at all...

i only did 3 hours.... was on orders from MISS DFF LOL ... got ta keep the lady happy... :)

sure once the final salmon count per rod days comes in ... we will see how crap it was... well that does not tell the full story as most people did not bother going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

My eyes are sore looking at all the ....................

• Advertisement

My eyes are sore looking at all the ....................

go to specsaver:D

instead of turning those blind eyes....:cool:

Advertisement