Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filter

Options
  • 16-09-2010 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Can anyone recommend a good filter for a 200 lt aquarium? Really not happy with the one I have at the minute.
    Its for a terrapin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Best thing i ever bought

jbl_cristalprofi_e900_kulso_akvariumszuro.jpg

JBL Cristalprofi e900 :D ftw

Available on Zoo Plus and Ebay

I bought my from Zoo Plus Germany it was cheaper

All reviews from Any Aquatic website praize it .

Technical data JBL CristalProfi e900:
    for aquaria from 90 up to 300 litres content
    Power connection: 230 V/50 Hz 15 W
    Pump output max.: 900 l/h adjustable
    max. pump height: 1.8 m/WS
    Filter volume: 7.6 litres
    Filter insets: 3 filter baskets with prefilter
    Dimensions: 180 x 210 x 405 mm (length x width x height)
    (height incl. Hose connections)

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/jbl_external_filters/146499

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

WIZE wrote: »
    Best thing i ever bought

315b882fb2ccc057e3f426c6c37af12e.image.350x437.jpg

JBL Cristalprofi e900 :D ftw

Available on Zoo Plus and Ebay

I bought my from Zoo Plus Germany it was cheaper

All reviews from Any Aquatic website praize it .

Technical data JBL CristalProfi e900:
    for aquaria from 90 up to 300 litres content
    Power connection: 230 V/50 Hz 15 W
    Pump output max.: 900 l/h adjustable
    max. pump height: 1.8 m/WS
    Filter volume: 7.6 litres
    Filter insets: 3 filter baskets with prefilter
    Dimensions: 180 x 210 x 405 mm (length x width x height)
    (height incl. Hose connections)

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/jbl_external_filters/146499

Just bought it there!!! Thanks Wize.
    Just wondering - I have pebbles in the tank that seem to get really dirty. My Terrapin is 9 months old and Im afraid he'll eat them. Im going to take them out but what could I put in its place in the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I use Aquatic Sand

127822.jpg

127823.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good call on the JBL and from what Ive read here taking advice from WIZE is a very good plan.
    I got an Eheim filter
    Eheim-Pro-II5.jpg
    Mainly because at the time I found others I had tried couldn't pump a half full tank which is the case with turtles. Plus it has a built in heater element which means no glass heater in the tank itself. Turtles can be little buggers for smashing them. They're bloody expensive though and I've heard really good things of the JBL ones. And good plan re the big external filter whitelightrider. The little internal ones are only any use for very small turtles and few of them. The external canister filter saves a lot on time cleaning too.

As for substrate for turtles. From what Ive read many expert types run with no substrate at all as turtles are messy eaters and..... well what comes out the other end... :D WIZE has it spot on for softshells, just make sure its rounded sand not sharp as they bury in the sand and sharp sand can cause tiny scratches and fungal infections which they're prone to.

If they're the usual hard shelled fellas I would strongly advise against sand of any kind. With the waste products turtles generate it will quickly become fouled(and is one reason softshells can be hard to keep alive as adults) Gravel is OK but like you say it gets dirty. The other issue with gravel can be ingestion by the turtle. They will sometimes swallow small pebbles to grind up the food in their stomachs(just like dinosaurs and some birds :)). Slider turtles can be right buggers for this. Problem is the pebbles can impact internally, often killing them. You hear of this warning a lot, but TBH It's never happened to me in 30+ years of keeping/rescuing/rehoming over 15 turtles so I only mention it for completion (Im not that old, just started very young at 4 :p). One idea is to get bigger gravel, pebble sized that they cant swallow and are easier to clean.

One filtration trick I tried. Rather than just cycling and filtering the water another plan is to build an oversized undergravel filter from 1 Cm plumbing pipe and L joints drilled along its length with holes. Bury it in the gravel and hook it up to the intake of your external filter. With the output running back into the water near the surface to get some oxygen going. Sounds harder to build than it is. Dirt cheap too. It sucks the crap down through the gravel where good bacteria will usually set up shop. Just a thought anyway.

Here's attached a (blurry) pic of what I mean.
    filtero.jpg

EDIT. The very first thing I ever posted on this site was about turtles. If I only knew what I know now and if Boards knew they should have sitebanned me on general principle. If nothing else for taking up way too much space on the servers. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement