Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

String Trio or Quartet ?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to hire a Student String Quartet or Trio for about 2 hours playing at a small function around the end of October. I made initial enquiries at the Cork School of Music and so far made contact with one professional quartet/trio who were a little out of my budget range. I was hoping there might be a student group out there who could do it for a little less, PM me if necessary. I hope this thread is not in breach of Boards terms etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'll be honest with you - most of the musicians who play in string quartets start doing paid gigs from the age of about 15/16 up. There are no real "student" quartets around.

Any quartet these days will be charging 400 minimum for the church part of a wedding, about 1 hour. That is cheap believe it or not.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for at small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What the previous poster said. I played in quartets for years, and even when I was 15, I was getting at the time 60 pounds, so about 100 now sounds right. TBH, the type of music a quartet plays, any classical musican will have mastered by the aged of 12/13 - hence most quartets charge similar amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Might be worth your while ringing the UCC School of Music Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

hmmm, ok thank you for the input. I was hoping to have a little bit of something special, maybe some mozart before the party proper gets into full swing, I wasn't expecting it for nothing, I just didn't think students would be expecting 100-130 euro per hour.

Not looking too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Probably not. I could hook you up with a Guitar player who does all sorts of ambient music, classical included - he plays in a restaurant in town every week for the diners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I know of a quartet who are aged between 15 and 17 and are very talented.

I'm not sure price wise they haven't done many events only the odd wedding but if you'd be interested PM me and I'll pass on their number.

Hi m&s,
    Yes I am interested, some details are; I am planning a small party (150) on the 30th October, would like 1.30-2 hours of Strauss, Mozart, hoping people might waltze, the event is being held at the Cork County Cricket Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Gosh! Six weeks to learn to waltz :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What the previous poster said. I played in quartets for years, and even when I was 15, I was getting at the time 60 pounds, so about 100 now sounds right. TBH, the type of music a quartet plays, any classical musican will have mastered by the aged of 12/13 - hence most quartets charge similar amounts.

Aye I've only done a couple gigs but the others were more experienced and what we charged, 400, would be at the lower end I should think
    It's not just the hour you're paying for, more the skill as well really, like an elec call-out charge or something :)

Listen guys thanks for all the input and advice, but I think I've got it sorted, at last.

Yesss Dan git yer dancin shoes shone, I'll have invites sorted soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement