Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBS03 and Exchange with outgoing mail issues

• 16-09-2010 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hello all, Bit of a head wrecker here. Been working remotely to fix this issue and called in to the location today.

So the system is a Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange standard edition.

All internal mail is working ok. Sending and receiving, however mail from external sources is ok but mail being sent to external sources will not send (outgoing) In the event log I get a error 7002 coming up lots. With this as the description of the error:
    This is an SMTP protocol warning log for virtual server ID 1, connection #121. The remote host "*.*.*.*", responded to the SMTP command "rcpt" with "421 Service Temporarily Unavailable ". The full command sent was "RCPT TO:<*@something.net> ". This may cause the connection to fail.

Ok so I replaced the hosts ip addy with stars and the email address of the receiver of the mail. But all pending mails are writing errors like this. So its not like its just the one external server.

After a number of searches, I found the problem relating to IP addresses being assigned incorrectly for the external link on a router. But this isn't the case here. the router and firewall are all correctly configured. I checked the external IP address to see if it was black listed but again, it was ok.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Sorry just to add, in the ESM under server and queues, on mails going to external sources I get two different messages under the additional queues info sections.
    The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.
    An SMTP protocol error occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

How is the SMTP setup? Smart host or dns?

Its setup to use DNS

Why is it always the simplest of things, thanks ronkmonster, changed it to use a smarthost and it is working fine now. Heres hoping eircom dont get black listed again.

That said, the ip address of the company isn't on any blacklists and the domain/mail server isn't ether. Any thoughts as to why this would have happened when it had been working ok all along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Thats what I would have said to do, always change between dns and smarthost for troubleshooting

then go from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

sutty wrote: »
    That said, the ip address of the company isn't on any blacklists and the domain/mail server isn't ether. Any thoughts as to why this would have happened when it had been working ok all along?

Maybe because your ISP decided to block outbound SMTP? What smarthost are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

sutty wrote: »

No idea, I don't know much about exchange. Just had same problem last year. You might change it back tomorrow and it could work again.

bhickey wrote: »
    Maybe because your ISP decided to block outbound SMTP? What smarthost are you using?

Just went with mail2.eircom.net. Dont know if you'd call it "smart" Hosting. But it seems to be working.

Advertisement