Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 12: "Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck" Thread *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm flabbergasted at that decision. The fight was a lot closer that Rogan made out, and in all the replays all they showed was Phan's offence, but he definitely deserved to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Loved joes rant there bout the judges, and with that im off ta bed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Grove and Maia is on now. Anybody watching this or was it already on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wow. Brookins has a granite chin... The shots he took in that first round were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Check out Garcia's previous few fights he has got some extremely strange judging scores, winning against korean zombie when he got smashed, Mark hominick destroyed him for 3 rounds and only wins a split decision? Seriously check out his last few fights it is ridiculous.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Brookins looked sooo rocked in the first round, i was really impressed that he came back after those punches. Good wrestling match but i found myself hoping that Johnson gets a shot at the UFC too. He looked a 100 times better than he did in the House.

Thought Nam Pham had done enough to secure a victory but in the last round his timidity lost him the fight, his opponent was out on his feet practically but he refused to go in for a KO. He left it in the hands of the judges...

Speaking of judges does anyone think that after the Rampage fight and this fight, that maybe they have been told to take the "octagon control and aggression" part of the scoring a bit more seriously to counter this new style of stay-back-and-counter-punch that seems to be emerging?? No bad thing if so imho...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DeVore wrote: »
    Speaking of judges does anyone think that after the Rampage fight and this fight, that maybe they have been told to take the "octagon control and aggression" part of the scoring a bit more seriously to counter this new style of stay-back-and-counter-punch that seems to be emerging?? No bad thing if so imho...

Thwe UFC have essentially no influence on the judges so don't see how this could happen really.

was somebody thrown off this year ? I saw in the previews there was a punch at the house but i some how missed it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

was somebody thrown off this year ? I saw in the previews there was a punch at the house but i some how missed it .

Yeah I seen that at the start but they did not show it on TV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I still can't believe the McKenzie v Wilkinson result. I was sure Wilkinson would beat him and I was sure that he would not get caught in the most predictable submission in the history of mma. I hope Wilkinson gets another chance in the UFC, I think he's a lot better than he showed in that fight. Great win for Brookins, I think he showed great composure.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think Wilkinson has been terrible since the first fight against Johnson when Johnson was nothing like the fighter he became.

Every other fight he was destroyed (even though he got the guillotine against Stevens).

the Nam Pham decision was the worst I've seen yet. Watch the fight replay and watch Greg Jackson's face when Garcia turns to him after the decision.
    Everyone in the house knew that result, and guess what - Cecil Peoples was one of the judges again. They need to fire that guy fast. I honestly don't know who he knows in the Nevada state athletic commision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

jayteecork wrote: »
    - Cecil Peoples was one of the judges again. They need to fire that guy fast. I honestly don't know who he knows in the Nevada state athletic commision.
    Tonny Weeks, Adalaide Byrd, and Junichiro Kamijo were the judges for the garcia pham fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Kamijo got it right though :p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Tonny Weeks, Adalaide Byrd, and Junichiro Kamijo were the judges for the garcia pham fight.

lol, shows how much I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Just watched this now, cannot believe the decision made by the judges. Talk about one of the worst in the sport. Will anything become of it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't blame the judges as much as the system. The system allows for a close round to be scored the same as a dominant round, especially due to them being very reluctant to give 10-8 rounds

If you score the fight as a whole then Phan wins it. So realistically, he should be the winner

The first round was close, third round not as close in my eyes but close enough for two judges to think that Garcia won it. But both of those rounds were given to Garcia by the same score that Phan got for his very dominant second round

Some judges and referees (Nelson Hamilton, Herb Dean and John McCarthy off the top of my head) have been lobbying recently for the introduction of a half-point scoring system. Under that sort of system the judges could have scored it something like Garcia-Phan 10-9.5, 9-10 and 10-9.5, which would add up to 29-29, but their proposed system doesn't allow for draws and as far as I know the deciding criteria would favour Phan

You've got to change the system to make it harder for a judge to make the wrong decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

unknown13 wrote: »
    I had that 29-28, Nam. No way Garcia won that fight though.

totally, I was shocked by it

Fozzy wrote: »

Some judges and referees (Nelson Hamilton, Herb Dean and John McCarthy off the top of my head) have been lobbying recently for the introduction of a half-point scoring system. Under that sort of system the judges could have scored it something like Garcia-Phan 10-9.5, 9-10 and 10-9.5, which would add up to 29-29, but their proposed system doesn't allow for draws and as far as I know the deciding criteria would favour Phan

If the base unit is either 1/2 or 1 it makes no difference really. Being more lax with giving out 8 pts and less achieves the same (a 10/9 round under half point is the same as a 10/8 under normal scoring).

They just need to drop more points when a guy is nominated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

scudzilla wrote: »
    Don't be too happy about that

When Setanta went tits up, Zuffa had to go with ESPN as it was a quick deal and they were willing to slot UFC events into there schedule at short notice.

As soon as the contract with ESPN is up expect Zuffa to move over to Sky, and also expect to pay extra for 75% of Main events as they'll put them on Sky Box Office
    Sky wont put any of the UFC cards on PPV :rolleyes:. That would be stupid considering how little the UFC'S pulling power is in the UK. Unless the UFC creates some sort of british mega star, then the fights will not be on PPV. just look at the boxing. The big ENGLISH stars are PPV (amir khan,david haye) , but the best boxer in the world (manny pacquiao) is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sky wont put any of the UFC cards on PPV :rolleyes:. That would be stupid considering how little the UFC'S pulling power is in the UK. Unless the UFC creates some sort of british mega star, then the fights will not be on PPV. just look at the boxing. The big ENGLISH stars are PPV (amir khan,david haye) , but the best boxer in the world (manny pacquiao) is not.

Well said.

The UFC will only ever appear on Sky Box Office if the UFC negotiates for that to happen. They aren't that stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Mellor wrote: »
    If the base unit is either 1/2 or 1 it makes no difference really. Being more lax with giving out 8 pts and less achieves the same (a 10/9 round under half point is the same as a 10/8 under normal scoring).

They just need to drop more points when a guy is nominated.

The judges are conditioned under the current system not to award 10-8s unless someone totally dominates. But if they did begin to use it more then we would be seeing more draws, which doesn't really benefit anyone. The new system is going to be used for amateur fights in California soon to see how it goes

At first glance it does appear to be the same but when you're stuck with boxing judges who are used to a boxing scoring system and they will just always give 10-9 scores then the 10-9.5 scores really help

The UFC's goal is to get on PPV everywhere they can. It's where the money is. I don't think that they could do it here and in the UK right now but that is what they are working towards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Just saw Dana Whites video blog. He talked to Nam after the fight, and said he would pay him full whack cuz he won that fight, deservedly so too.

WP Dana imo, I think the judging is something that still really gets to him. It's totally out of his hands and he's a fan on some level.

Just saw Dana Whites video blog. He talked to Nam after the fight, and said he would pay him full whack cuz he won that fight, deservedly so too.

Yeah I seen it. Pham also asked for fight of the night too. Brass balls :pac: Fair play all the same, really decent thing for Dana to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dana always seems like a cool guy any time I see him interviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Watched the whole of the event last night.... Why on earth did Wilkinson keep his neck firmly shoved under the armpit of a guy who has won almost all his fights with his signature guillotine!? Wow.

He has great standup so why the hell didnt he stand and bang with Cody, its the only way he has been beaten to date (by Nam Pham).

DeV.

Advertisement