Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother, Mummy, Mum, Mammy, Mam, Ma, Mama . . . .

Options
  • 16-09-2010 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all you lovely Mum's, so just for a bit of lighthearted fun, what term term do you use in your house? By what term do your children call you? What do you call your Mother?

Its just a bit of fun, enjoy . . . .

Hopefully most (if not all) permutations are included this time! Vote away . . .

What term do you use in your family? 164 votes

Mother
    0% 0 votes
    Mummy
    0% 0 votes
    Mum
    3% 5 votes
    Mammy
    17% 29 votes
    Mam
    17% 28 votes
    Ma
    35% 58 votes
    Mama
    6% 11 votes
    Mommie/y
    4% 8 votes
    Mom
    2% 4 votes
    1st name
    9% 16 votes
    Other
    3% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

My daughter calls me 'Mom'. It's obviously not in the American sense but rather the irish pronounciation 'Maim'.
    I never told her or asked her what to call me, she started herself when she was about 2 :)

Personally I can't stand 'Mum' (Very British).

I call my mother 'Mam' We all do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

My little fella calls me mam, which I quite like:)

I called mine Mother - but she was elderly and it was seen as respect (I think) to call her that. My pals at the time, all called theirs Ma or Mam and called me really old fashioned for referring to her as Mother. But everyone called her that in our house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Mommie. Because he is small. As he gets older this will probably change to mom.

We are Americans, not Irish people trying to be American btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What about mamo my youngest use to call me that when she was small

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I get called mammy and ma by my husband!! :eek: as in go tell your mammy blah blah.. or if we're having a tiff and he needs to ask me something.. he'll use the child phone(i wonder will mammy go/do/need :rolleyes:)

The girls call be mam, mammy if they're trying to wheedle something out of me..

My eldest will call me mother when i embarrass her which is more and more frequent now that she's a tween..the baba just calls me ahh or waaaahhhhhhh for now.. in various different tones pitches and volumes depending on his needs at the time:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my daughter calls me mammy, with varying acoustics depending on what has happened/what she wants! :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Our 4 always use Mam and Dad but as long as I remember Ive always called my dad by his first name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

I use Mam but my little guy calls me Mum

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

MOM

I call my mom MOM and my kids call me Mommie or MOM, or Mooooooooooooom

(I'm English by parentage, Irish by birth)

My husband (Irish) calls his mom MUM.

my kids have to call his mom Mamie (not granny or nan)

Found this in wiki Turns out thats where my parents are from the west midlands- i only spent 7 years there.

Mother. Mom is sporadically regionally found in the UK (e.g. in West Midlands English). Some British dialects have mam[19], and this is often used in Northern English, Irish English, and Welsh English. In the American region of New England, especially in the case of the Boston accent, the British pronunciation of mum is often retained, while it is still spelled mom. In Canada, there are both mom and mum; Canadians often say mum and write mom.[20] In Australia and New Zealand, mum is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

that's hilarious !!!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Incase anyone s interested

The proverbial "first word" of an infant often sounds like "ma" or "mama." This strong association of that sound with "mother" has persisted in nearly every language on earth, countering the natural localization of language.

Familiar or colloquial terms for mother in English are:

Mom and mommy are used in the USA, Canada, South Africa, Philippines, and the West Midlands of England.
    Mum and mummy are used in the UK, Canada, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland.
    Ma, mam, and mammy are used in Netherlands, Ireland, the Northern areas of the UK, and Wales; it is also used in some areas of the US.
    Maa,aai, amma, and mata are used in India and sometimes in neighboring countries, originating from the Sanskrit matrika and mata

The Hindu mother goddess Parvati feeding her son, the elephant-headed wisdom god GaneshaIn many other languages, similar pronunciations apply:

mamá, ma, and mami in Spanish language
    mama in Polish, German, Russian and Slovak
    māma (妈妈/媽媽) in Chinese and Japanese
    máma in Czech and in Ukrainian
    maman in French and Persian
    ma, mama in Indonesian
    mamma in Italian, Icelandic and Swedish
    mamãe or mãe in Portuguese
    Ami in Punjabi
    mama in Swahili
    em (אם) in Hebrew
    ima (אמא) in Aramaic
    má or mẹ in Vietnamese
    mam in Welsh
    eomma (엄마, pronounced [ʌmma]) in Korean
    In many south Asian cultures and the Middle East, the mother is known as amma or oma or ammi or "ummi", or variations thereof. Many times, these terms denote affection or a maternal role in a child's life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We all called my mother mam, rarely mammy once we hit the teens. My lad calls me mama when he can be bothered putting a name to me (he's only 13 months) and I'm guessing this will become mam too, although I quite like being mama. My husband refers to me as mummy when he's talking to our son ("where's mummy" etc) and I deck him every time he does it, it just sounds so wrong. He calls his own mother 'mum' so I guess that's where it comes from (he's Scottish).

Like mariaf24, our pronunciation of mam is closer to maim/mom than 'maahm'. It's a short 'a', not a drawn out one. Makes all the difference to your sanity when you have a toddler swinging out of you repeating it 20 times a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

+ 1 for Mama...
    I adore it, but imagine that in time it'll turn into Mam which is what we used, Mama is a bit cutsie as they get older. I just melt when she says it but she's just 1 so it's not very often yet:o we use it and Dada when referring to each other. Short 'a' like Cat said not like the posh 'Mamawh' that Prince Charles uses:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its always been 'Mum' in our family, or Mummy when I was very little, and now with our little ones growing up its the same again with 'Mummy' being the choice, and I guess in time that will change into Mum when they grow up, each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I called my mother - 'Mom', we were brought up in the West with no american influences so I don't know where that came from. My children call me 'Mom' or 'Mommy' or 'Mooooooom' ( LOL) or Mama or Maman ( French dad). Basically I will answer to anything.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My son calls me "mama" but I hope that he will use the term mummy, as I do with my mummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Auld one. Ma
    Auld fella. Da

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

we always used mom too, growing up in west. I am mommy, mom, mama, honey, or sometimes even my firstname if they are cheeky and my 2 are under 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

me , my brother and sister call our parents maso or daso.. dont know where we got that from!! Other than that its ma, or da.. never been mam or mammy for us!
    I get called mam or mammy myself though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Mine call me mammy mainly sometimes mam, I call mine mam or ma but no way would I let them call me ma, I hate it and its just a habit I try not to say ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I always used Mum.

Our two year-old says Mammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I'm Mammy, even now that she's 13 she still calls me that :D

Used to confuse the life out of her friends when we lived in the UK, but I hate Mummy, sounds like an egyptian thingy lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

When my two-year old was a baby I referred to myself a mummy or mommy quite a bit, but neither of them got through and I am now "mam". Not "mammy" or mamma which I think is rather funny as I kinda view "mam" as for older kids when they realise that mammy sounds a but babyish. But I call my mam mam so I think that's where it strengthens...

He has two Gran's: Grandma (himself's mam) and Granny (my mam). Hubby and his brother's call their mam "Ma" and that's what my little fella calls her too! And he seems to realise that the two grannies are the same kinda thing cos he calls my mam "ma" too - although she's never been called Ma by any of us.....

It never ceases to amaze me just how much these little people like saying (whatever word they use for) "mam". My little fella sits there looking at me at the breakfast table/in the car/out in the buggy:

Him: Mam
    Me: Yes Baby
    Me: Yes?
    Me: Yes
    Me: What?
    Me: Aaaaahhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I get called mum or when she was younger mummy, but I was bought up in the UK and mum was the norm.
    Husband and wife calling each other mum and dad to me is a no no, my parents always referred to each other by name and we called them mum and dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

im 'mam' to my two anyways

i use mam for my mother too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We're 'Mama(n)' and 'Daddy'. My own parents where Mammy (later Mam) and Daddy (later Dad).

We use these names to refer to one another when talking to the children but not to one another; that would be a bit creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

Mam here too !

Often its Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam !

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

My little fella is 3 and nearly always calls me mamma .. unless he is cross then its moooom. i call my parents mom and dad.
    my little fella calls his grandparents nana and granda and his great grandparents he calls Mop and Pop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I call my parents mam or ma and dad or da...

My little one calls me Mammy and it's sooo cute... going to have to record it one day but it's exactly like LashingLady's description of it!!

Addison: Mammy?
    Me: Yes baby?
    Addison: Mammy
    Me: What honey?
    Addison: My mammy
    Addison: My mammy! (while giving me a huge hug).

So cute...

Advertisement