Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother, Mummy, Mum, Mammy, Mam, Ma, Mama . . . .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

My 2 call me mam or mommy. As a teenager myself and my siblings called my mother 'mother' which was eventually shortened to mo ... Now my kids call my mother nana mo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i always used mum, i was hoping Emma would do the same, but unfortunately my sister grew up on Barney, American tv shows and now the Disney channel and she calls my mum 'mom' and my brother then copied her, and Emma's now copying her too so 'mom' it is i guess :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I tend to call them "mammy" and "daddy" if talking to them, or "my mam/mum and dad" if talking about them, most of my family just call them "mum" and "dad" though! Although I do have one sister who sometimes calls my mother "mummy" - I always think it sounds very English or something! Also I sometimes call them "mother" and "father", if I'm annoyed at them ... and all of us often call my father by his first name ... they get called pretty much anything really! I don't think they mind though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

i voted 'other' as my little one calls me 'Ba' or 'Ba-he' - he cant pronounce his m's! i actually love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Was watching Heartbeat last night, (set in Yorkshire in the 60s), and I heard 'Mam' used in relation to the characters Mother at least twice during the episode, interesting that Mam is common in the North of England too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

My 14 month old calls me mamam. I really don't like mammy so I usually refer to myself as mommy to him.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Here in Cork it seems to be viewed as a class thing :

"Do they call their mother Mum or Mam ?" is often used to figure out what side of the river or road they come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

cmrm wrote: »
    i voted 'other' as my little one calls me 'Ba' or 'Ba-he' - he cant pronounce his m's! i actually love it!

lol my youngest used to call hubbie bab.

Seriously though, once upon a time mammy was the cutest name I have ever heard from my childs mouth, nowadays I wish it was never invented:D you know those days when you've heard it a thousand times and all you want is a moments silence.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My mother is mum, my mother-in-law is mam and I get mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy. :cool:

My mam is mam.
    I was momma (more a softer version of mamma) but recently that's changed to mummy or mum - not sure why but I'm not too bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I call my mother ma, mam and mammy (not all at once obviously lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My mum alternates between mum/mom/mother in my mind, it was mom predominantly for a long time, then it shifted mainly to mum and then mother occasionally when I was 15 or so.

I have no idea where I got it from :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Mamo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

alex73 wrote: »
    Mamo!

My partner is Dado!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Im mommy, or mom to my older fella, although I always tried to encourage 'momma':D. I was brought up in the West and spent a few years in the States. My own mother was Dublin, she hated being called 'mam' and was always called mom. My mother in law refers to me as 'mammy' to my kids and it does my head in, but we've enough to disagree about without me bringing up that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Mummy here, I call my own mother Mum. I hate the sound of Mammy, it sounds very hard or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The empty child; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01EQZ0d4Qb4&feature=related

Mammy just wouldn't sound the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Funny how different people hate the different terms... "Ma" and "Mom" were utterly forbidden in our house growing up. It was 'Mammy' until we got older and started using 'Mum' which became 'Mam' at some point in our teens.

My partner is 'Mama' or 'Mammy' in our house or occasionally "mammy my mammy" which she absolutely adores...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Growing up my Dad insisted that we called my mother "Mother" as he though Mam and Mammy sounded harsh and "Mummy" should only be used to describe preserved human remains. He was "Daddy".

As we got older it turned into Mom and Dad.

Our first child is due in March and we're still trying to decide. I don't want to be "Mammy" or "Mummy" so it's probably going to be "Mommy", as I think "Mother" sounds very formal and properly partners "Father", rather than "Daddy".

But ultimately I think that it's going to come down to what the child can pronounce at an early age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Mammy: when we were young.....
    Find myself saying Mom more often than not nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I do have a name, so i'd prefer that. My son is 8 months old so doesn't call me anything yet. He does say ba-ba-ba-ba and ma-ma-ma but I know it has nothing to do with baba and mama because no one in the house ever uses those words around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As a child I would've said mammy but as I got older it became mam although I can lapse back into mammy without realising it.

Personally I can't stand this mom and mommy thing that Irish kids have going on these days. I'd prefer to be called mummy than mom and let's just say there have never been any mummys in our family.

I don't care what my kids call me i.e. by my name, ma, yer wan whatever but I won't be called mom unless we emigrate to America in the future.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My little fella (9months) has just started consistently calling me mama when he sees me after not seeing me for a little while. Melts my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Very disappointed in you where is a mhathair and mammaí(which is actual correct spelling for mammy :D
    Thats what i call my mammaí :)

Advertisement