Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Steau Bucharest Thursday 20:05 [Match Thread]

• 16-09-2010 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

So the European adventure continues and the excitement of the Europa League Group stages is palpable.

Only 15 games left to the Landsdowne Stadium.

The rumoured team is

Reina
    --Kelly--Soto--Agger--Konchesky--
    Spearing--Miereles
    --Maxi
    Cole
    Babel----
    Dave

Spearing, Maxi and Cole all need to pull the finger out and start convincing now.

Kuyt and Aurelio :eek: are the only ones on the injured list.

so the rested players are

Johnson
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Lucas
    Poulsen
    Jovanovic
    Gerrard
    Torres

Will be interesting to see what the subs bench looks like - I wouldnt be surprised to see 3 or 4 of the rested players on there.

Don't know much about Steau but there squad is pretty much all Romanians, some of whom seem to be regulars in the national team.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hope the midfield is wrong in that line up.

Spearing is rubbish and it would also suggest that Poulsen plus Lucas will be starting against United.

Would be very happy to see Agger and Soto start though, they always seem the most natural cb pairing of what is at the club right now and compliment the other's game very well.

As for Aurelio being injured:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

In before the other references to Danny Pacheco, but where is Danny Pacheco??

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Spearing has shown over the last couple of years that he is very unlikely to make it at Anfield unfortunately. I'd have preferred to have seen Shelvey get a start in a game like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I presume Shelvey will start in the Carling Cup next week.

I've already seen enough of him to know he's better than Spearing.

5starpool wrote: »
    Spearing has shown over the last couple of years that he is very unlikely to make it at Anfield unfortunately. I'd have preferred to have seen Shelvey get a start in a game like this.

Yeah strange that Shelvey did not get the nod over Spearing tbh. During his time with Charlton he showed he was a capable first teamer for them despite his young age, whereas Spearing has never impressed even when out on loan to Championship teams.

Shelvey is also a lot quicker, stronger and more mobile than Spearing is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no Pacheco. ugh.

Spearing. ugh.

most importantly, and worryingly, no Pucas, so the likelihood has just shot up that they'll be starting at OT and we won't be seeing much of the ball that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kess73 wrote: »
    it would also suggest that Poulsen plus Lucas will be starting against United.

I would be very surprised if they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

8-10 wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if they didn't.
    I wouldnt be so sure.

Depends on how Meireles plays and recovers from the Steau game. If he's only ordinary, then he'll be on the bench on Sunday and we'll have Poulsen and Lucas in - but if he plays very well I reckon he'll get the nod over Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looking forward to seeing Bogdan Stancu in action tonight.

Should be a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Reina
    --Kelly--Soto--Agger--Konchesky--
    Spearing--Miereles
    --Maxi
    Cole
    Babel----
    Dave

Tough one for Liverpool. I know they need to rest players but I think the days are gone for Pool where they can expect to win European matches with their second string of players.
    If that's indeed the line-up for tonight I could see Reina being a very busy man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Boskowski wrote: »
    Tough one for Liverpool. I know they need to rest players but I think the days are gone for Pool where they can expect to win European matches with their second string of players.
    If that's indeed the line-up for tonight I could see Reina being a very busy man.

in fairness i would have a lot of confidence in that defence, its pretty solid imo. The only worry i have is centre mid. Its meireles 1st start and he is in at the deep end having spearing beside him.

Only for spearing is a local he would be long gone imo i dont rate the lad at all, he will struggle at championship level once he finally leaves.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Reina
    --Johnson--Carra--Agger--Konchesky--
    Gerrard--Miereles
    --Kuyt
    Cole
    Babel----
    Torres
    Boskowski wrote: »

It's not that much of a reserve side. I have made a few changes as above, but if the team above was fielded as a strongest XI I don't think there would be a huge amount of complaints, and that includes 6 from tonights linup. Babel obviously is not a regular, but people still hold out hope he can make himself one, and Kuyt is injured at the moment so Maxi may well start instead of him in that slot anyhow, making it possibly 7 that could be considered first teamers for Sunday. I personally think Agger should start ahead of Skrtel, so haven't replaced him above, and there are some who would have Kelly in ahead of Johnson on current form as well.

Looking forward to seeing Miereles.

He could play his way into Sunday's team with a top performance tonight.

I've been so looking forward to Sunday that tonight's match was at the back of my mind until today.

Looking forward to it now though.

Must stock up on beer :D

the TV and a few beers are in order for this.

i can't wait to see Gerrard, Cole, Meireles and Torres starting to link up. i'm hoping for a more fluid performance at home that we've had in our last couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

SlickRic wrote: »
    the TV and a few beers are in order for this.

i can't wait to see Gerrard, Cole, Meireles and Torres starting to link up. i'm hoping for a more fluid performance at home that we've had in our last couple of games.

doubtful all 4 will play together at any stage during the game with the scum on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Is this channel 5 only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

It is on e3 also. I'm recording it as I have prior commitments.

mormank wrote: »
    It is on e3 also. I'm recording it as I have prior commitments.

god, it may have to be muted so with that commentary :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

daithijjj wrote: »
    Is this channel 5 only?

It's on 3e aswell.

I'd hope to see Torres start tonight. After all the unfair IMO criticism, it would be just the ticket going into Sunday to see him bag a few. Hopefully meireles will play his way into the starting 11 for Sunday as another showing of pucas might kill my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Really looking forward to this now...mainly due to the fact that I'm at work for the night, but still, no beating a home game midweek to (I hope) lift the spirits before the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing Meireles but sure who isn't and to echo what a few have said here already - Spearing doesn't have it from what I've seen so far and I'd prefer to see Shelvey get the nod over him.

Also was it Wisdom or Amoo who played a great game for the reserves the other night? I always mix them up! Would like to see whichever one it was on the bench, maybe get a few mins for confidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Meireles likes a tasty tackle I shall dub him Ming the Meireles, even though that makes no sense.

mike65 wrote: »
    If Meireles likes a tasty tackle I shall dub him Ming the Meireles, even though that makes no sense.

oh god :D

we need goals tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

TechnoPool wrote: »
    god, it may have to be muted so with that commentary :D

Oh. I've not had the pleasure yet of watching a game on e3. Not looking forward to it now...I just hope I don't hear the score somewhere before I watch it as I will never sit through the whole game then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

3e or channel 5?, its like choosing which testicle to chop off. Im going to have to stream this one :)

Reina,
    Kelly--Kyrgiakos-Agger-Konchesky
    Meireles-Spearing
    Maxi
    Cole
    Babel
    Ngog

Subs: Jones, Johnson, Lucas, Carragher, Pacheco, Shelvey, Eccleston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Kelly, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Agger, Babel, Maxi, Meireles, Spearing, Ngog, Cole.

Rumoured team correct.

Interesting subs bench especially in terms of creativity with only Pacheco and Eccelston attacking options.

Reina,
    Kelly--Kyrgiakos-Agger-Konchesky
    Meireles-Spearing
    Maxi
    Cole
    Babel
    Ngog

Hopefully some game time for Pacheco & Shelvey if Roy decides to rest Cole & Meireles for Sunday

Interesting subs bench especially in terms of creativity with only Pacheco and Eccelston attacking options.

Babel can always slot up with Ecclestone, Shelvey or Pacheco working on the wing, I think we'll be alright

That Melwood mole must have the fella who puts out the cones and bibs on a retainer.

The bench is a bit worrying, no "proper" striker, Eccleston is a kid, its hard to see him turning a game.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Babel can always slot up with Ecclestone, Shelvey or Pacheco working on the wing, I think we'll be alright

Yeah should be ok

More of a positive sign for the lads that start and the guys on the bench - didnt really expect Gerrard or Torres to be on the bench but though Jova might be there to add attacking experience.

ming.jpg

Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

skipper pepe

skipper pepe

Ah turns out I can thank it twice...check the lfc forum if you find this confusing

I wouldnt mind if he was made captain proper. Maybe Stevie could relax and not think so much about carrying the team. Delighted for Pepe. Hes pure class in everyway

I wouldnt mind if he was made captain proper. Maybe Stevie could relax and not think so much about carrying the team. Delighted for Pepe. Hes pure class in everyway

With regards to carrying the team - "thinking" is all Gerrard's been doing about it tbh

Pepe has shown himself over the past few years that he would do anything for the club, he has been a model of consistency and professionalism unlike our current skipper who hasn't been himself lately, and imo he should be rewarded with the armband.

Now obviously Gerrard has been, and still is a great player for this club, but he hasn't led the team by leading by example like he usually does of late. I know that I have often expected too much of him due to the extrodinary standards he has set himself with each passing season - but if I think taking the armband off of him would mean he'd stay at the club and Pepe would be made captain then I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't give it serious consideration.

• Advertisement

We will learn a lot tonight about some of these Liverpool players.

I think its clear as day with Alonso then Masch gone Pepe Riena is the man most likely to take the reigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

GOAL

eeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shut up trev.

I think its clear as day with Alonso then Masch gone Pepe Riena is the man most likely to take the reigns.

I know - I'm questioning when that'll happen - would you give him the armband now with Gerrard still around? If it meant Gerrard would stay on

I cant get the wimax tune out of me head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With Torres supposed to be lacking match fitness, is this game not ideal for him to get a run out at some stage and maybe some confindence boosting goals or do you think it's right to rest him completely for game on Sunday?

murpho999 wrote: »
    With Torres supposed to be lacking match fitness, is this game not ideal for him to get a run out at some stage and maybe some confindence boosting goals or do you think it's right to rest him completely for game on Sunday?

Personally I'd take as many chances to give him rest as possible due to the recurring injuries he's suffered over the past 2 years. People can say all they want about his form & fitness but playing him too much is forcing him to do too much too soon imo.

I'd prefer to gradually ease him back into the swing of things than see him pull up tonight with an injury which would most likely happen given our luck!

i wish i didn't have to watch this on 3e.

hopefully Babel, N'Gog and Joe can show us something.

and Pep has the armband...damn f*cking straight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Perfect start,

Great finish from Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Now that's not a bad start!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Yessssss well done Joe :D

BANG !!!:D:D:D

Dream start -tasty finish by Joe

wow, thanks Steaua.