Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing problem with my PC - need help

Options
  • 16-09-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭

Hi - I have an ongoing problem with my PC that is driving me up the wall and has got worse as I have 2 weddings to edit ASAP.

Basically, a few months ago, my PC began having problems booting up. It would power on, fans would come on full and that was it. no BIOS checks or beeps. no load of windows....nothing!! Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. It gradually got worse and worse until it got to the stage where it would usually not work. I searched the internet to see what the problem could be. The majority said it was probably the MOBO and some said it was the PSU. I took a gamble and went for motherboard. Got a new X58 MOBO, i7 processer and 6GB of DDR3 RAM and fitted them. Problem was still there. So I was thinking the PSU was probably on it's way out but was not fully sure.

Finally decided to bring it to a PC repair shop (in Phibsborough). They took it in, rang me a couple of days later and said the OS was corrupt. I thought this was strange as the PC would not even get past the BIOS checks but I said grand to them reloading windows as I just wanted it fixed.

Got it home next day. Fine first time round. Next day.....problem back!!! Was a bit annoyed at this stage. Rechecked all connections - all ok. Plugged in the power cable, switch on the PSU and bang (well more of a cracking noise) and flash....PSU had blown. brought it back to the shop. The repaired (not replaced) the PSU. Got it back again. Worked first time but prob still there. Back to the shop - told me an internet explorer update cancelled in mid load up had caused the issue. Thought this was a load of crap but happy to hear she's working fine. Brought it back and you guessed it.....not working.

Have also tried it at parent's house (where problem first began on old MOBO) and in work and the fault can be replicated there so not a power issue at home. Repair shop say they can do no more and that I will just have to "live with it", despite me forking out over €200 on "repairs" and still having an unusable PC.

Could anyone please shed some light? I'd love to try out a different PSU altogether but don't want to fork out for one only for the problem to be still there. Would anyone be able to loan one to me for a few days? Or if someone has useful information or something I should try first, I would be most appreciative. Current PSU is a 700w but the PC should run on something a little bit lower. There are two sli graphics cards in it too so they would be quite power hungry.

Apologies for the long windedness of the message but I have got to the desperate stage and I'm hoping boards can come to the rescue.

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

sounds like you got really bad service there and they took 200e off you??? u should have got that money back tbh.

i suggest you strip and rebuild your PC and pay special attention to connections and thermal paste on the cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks Curry Addict. Yeah, I'm pretty peeved off about being charged so much with the end result being still the same fault. I may follow up on this.

At the moment, I really just want (need) to get my PC up and running again as I have people waiting for their wedding videos. I have reseated every connection and device and all is fine. Processor is also new and I used the correct amount of thermal paste. Note that the fault was exactly the same on old MOBO, processor and RAM. I'm at my wits ends at this stage :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

it must be the PSU as you have replaced everything else, can you borrow a PSU from somebody? what make is the PSU?

You wouldnt have to spend a fortune on a new one I picked up a 650w Antec for €50 on adverts during the week

I can't remember off hand what make the power supply is but I think it's either an Antec or an Oz. I'll have to double check when I'm home. It's a 700w but I'm sure 650w would be fine. When I originally configured the PC, I made sure I had plenty of spare power available. I'll check out Adverts and see if there is anything there, thank you very much. I've been unable to get a decent enough PSU on loan from anywhere so far. I asked on my original post but it's understandable that nobody would want to give one away on loan or would even have a 700w+ PSU just lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Marx Computers have a Rasurbo 750W ATX PSU for €98 and they're in Dublin, so it could get you going quickly.

Peats is €99 for a 650W Coolermaster GX.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that link, Gulliver. Much appreciated. excellent price for that PSU and have just read a few decent reviews on it. Hopefully this will finally bury my PC problem!!!

Oh, had never heard of Marx Computers before. Good choice of stock and some really good prices. I'll be sticking that in to my favourites :)

Oh, and after seeing the PSU stock list in Marx Computers, I see my PSU. It's the old 700w version of the Antek 750w now available. Might go for the Antec again but it's a bit more expensive.

Yeah, hope that sorts it. In the meantime, as I said in the other thread, just check your case power switch to MOBO connectors and look the connection schematic up on the net to confirm what the case manual says. The manuals can be wrong on occasion. Could be something that simple.

Also have a look at this

Marx are on the go a good while. I don't know would they have that in stock or do they allow collection, but they were very nice to deal with when I got stuff of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do NOT get that Rasurbo, its hugely overrated (actual 12V output is well under 500W) and of dubious origin!

What graphics cards are those in there? If the PSU keeps packing it in take one of them out and try to replace the remaining one with a less powerful model if you have one onsite, then get all that mission-critical data OFF that rig and resign yourself to waiting for a decent PSU ordered online to arrive :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    Do NOT get that Rasurbo, its hugely overrated (actual 12V output is well under 500W) and of dubious origin!

What graphics cards are those in there? If the PSU keeps packing it in take one of them out and try to replace the remaining one with a less powerful model if you have one onsite, then get all that mission-critical data OFF that rig and resign yourself to waiting for a decent PSU ordered online to arrive :o

Didn't know that. Was just trying to get the OP up and running quickly.

Thanks guys. I'll probably end up going for the Antec as they have a good name (even if I do have the older model version which has gone kaputt!). Any other recommendations at a decent price are more than welcome.

Solitaire, I took out as much non critical stuff as I could and it was still suffering from the same issue. It has 2 way sli 8800GTS nvidias and three hard drives. I removed the two non system hard drives and one of the graphics cards. Also removed the wireless card, memory card reader and unplugged the blu-ray drive. I know those last few items are not exactly power eaters but I wanted to discount as many items as possible.

If I can scrape some money together, I'll order the Antec 750w unless otherwise advised and I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your help.....I should've come here first and save myself a fortune :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if the pc shop have not repaired the problem you had when you brought it into them, then you are entitled to a refund or for them to fix it.

dont give up fighting for it as its unfair.

if you have a quick read over this thread from cardol, she had a similiar problem and she followed up with the refund and the shop was court ordered to pay it back to her.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055779151&highlight=missing+memory

Advertisement