Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROS VRT What's going on?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows what's going on with VRT on ROS? I've been looking at 320d's across the pond and the VRT keeps going up and up.. 2 weeks ago it was €1060 for a 2003 320d ES with 130k miles. This week it's over €1600 for the same model same details. Should this not be going in the other way? The omsp is also way off.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

The omsp is also way off.

Unfortunitly the osmp is set by SIMI a group consisting of irish car dealers, it's not in their interests to set realistic prices for importing cars. It's pretty weird that the price went up though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall hearing that the more a specific type of car is checked on the calculator, the more likely the VRT is to go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

kbannon wrote: »
    I recall hearing that the more a specific type of car is checked on the calculator, the more likely the VRT is to go up.
    where did you hear that?

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Unfortunitly the osmp is set by SIMI a group consisting of irish car dealers, it's not in their interests to set realistic prices for importing cars. It's pretty weird that the price went up though.
    Yeah it is strange alright as the simi dealers are selling them for less than the omsp they are recommending. Corruption in Ireland? Shock fupping horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I heard they did that on airline websites but surely they can't do it on ROS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CKurtz

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I'm just back from the NCT centre to get my car registered/VRT'd. I brought it in from the UK.

Details: BMW 330i SE manual Estate
    Year: 2000
    Mileage: 130000

Ros VRT = 728
    VRT that NCT want me to pay = 2500

I refused to pay as its not worth my while - I'll probably sell it back in the UK. I was told if I did pay I could then initiate an appeals process - but I could only appeal if I pay the amount i.e. no pay no appeal. The idea of going through an appeals process with our public servants is not something I'd have the patience for.

I asked about the inconsistency between the ROS calculation and the actual - I was told "we use a different system to ROS" :rolleyes:.

This is a complete joke - it's a 10 year old 3 litre petrol car with 130k on the clock!! You can pick up a 2000 740i for around 3k.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks for reading.

where did you hear that?
    Rumourmill
    DonJose wrote: »
    I heard they did that on airline websites but surely they can't do it on ROS.
    Its the revenue - they can do what they like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

CKurtz wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I'm just back from the NCT centre to get my car registered/VRT'd. I brought it in from the UK.

Details: BMW 330i SE manual Estate
    Year: 2000
    Mileage: 130000

Ros VRT = 728
    VRT that NCT want me to pay = 2500

I refused to pay as its not worth my while - I'll probably sell it back in the UK. I was told if I did pay I could then initiate an appeals process - but I could only appeal if I pay the amount i.e. no pay no appeal. The idea of going through an appeals process with our public servants is not something I'd have the patience for.

I asked about the inconsistency between the ROS calculation and the actual - I was told "we use a different system to ROS" :rolleyes:.

This is a complete joke - it's a 10 year old 3 litre petrol car with 130k on the clock!! You can pick up a 2000 740i for around 3k.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks for reading.
    What was the open market selling price they had for your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Rumourmill

Thats been reported a lot of other forums, the more you check a particular car the higher they raise the OMSP as its viewed as being more desirable, crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The VRT is simply calculated as the emissions % of the OMSP.

The 330i attracts an emissions VRT of 32%.

So according to that VRT price quoted, they reckon the OMSP is €7812. :eek::eek:

Edit:

VRT online has the OMSP @ 2276, VRT = € 728. Stat code:41985301

LOL, The NCT VRT quote is CHEAPER than the Revenue's OMSP of the car

Edit 2:

The appeals can be done in 6 weeks max. I know, I did during the boom last year. I got €600 back once it went to the stage 2 appeal. If you need more info on my successful appeal let me know

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    Thats been reported a lot of other forums, the more you check a particular car the higher they raise the OMSP as its viewed as being more desirable, crazy.
    I'm gonna start looking at old Skoda fabias so. With any luck you should be able to get one for less than 20k when I'm done.

Thanks for the replies.

Re OMSP: on the Declaration form they give you to sign there is no reference to the OMSP - just the VRT amount - which is a bit suspicious. I didn't ask at the time as I was in too much of a state of shock.

I presume all is calculated based on how Mullingar outlines it.

Also on the Declaration form there is no mention of the age of the car ... just model, mileage etc. Again very suspicious (it's as if the year of the car is not taken into consideration).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd say the guy misread the OMSP as the VRT amount and either didnt notice or didnt want to admit his mistake so just rode it out.

From the NCT website. (This should go into the scam thread)

You may be able to obtain an estimate of the VRT due from the Vehicle Registration on-line Enquiry System. While Revenue maintains an accurate valuation for all vehicles on its database, because of the variety of makes, models and versions available, the vehicle presented for registration at an NCT centre may differ significantly from a similar one on Revenue’s database resulting in a significant difference in the VRT charged to the amount you expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

You may be able to obtain an estimate of the VRT due from the Vehicle Registration on-line Enquiry System. While Revenue maintains an accurate valuation for all vehicles on its database, because of the variety of makes, models and versions available, the vehicle presented for registration at an NCT centre may differ significantly from a similar one on Revenue’s database resulting in a significant difference in the VRT charged to the amount you expected.
    While Revenue maintains an accurate valuation for all vehicles on its database.....
    .... the vehicle presented for registration at an NCT centre may differ significantly from a similar one on Revenue’s database

:rolleyes:

So, you wont have a clue what VRT is gonna be, until the car is presented an an NCT centre.....

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That's outrageous, so is the ROS site not worth a damn anymore?

It never really was!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's outrageous, so is the ROS site not worth a damn anymore?
    Of course it is - a figure for a specific model on the ROS website should allow you to extrapolate a relatively accurate figure for a slightly different specification.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Of course it is - a figure for a specific model on the ROS website should allow you to extrapolate a relatively accurate figure for a slightly different specification.

You'd want serious powers of extrapolation to come up with an actual rate of €2500 from a ROS quoted €728. Particularly when mine is a standard SE model i.e. it doesn't have sunroof, electric seats etc.

You'd want serious powers of extrapolation to come up with an actual rate of €2500 from a ROS quoted €728. Particularly when mine is a standard SE model i.e. it doesn't have sunroof, electric seats etc.
    What a scam. So let me get this straight. You do your budget, figure out you'll go for the SE lets say over the sport because of the vrt ROS quote you for both. You present your se spec at the nct center and get hit for a grand over budget? What will you do with the car? Bring it back to England? This is a scam. It also states that you have to provide a dated invoice. So what about private sales then?

• Advertisement

Scam - it's a complete racket.

"get hit for a grand over budget?" - I'm getting hit for nearly two grand over budget (€1772 to be precise).

Invoice: It was a private sale - so you just sign a piece of paper saying how much you paid for the car. I was being honest and said I paid 4K for the car.

I'm not going to bring it in now - I'll sell it back in the UK. Which is a shame as it's absolutely beautiful (it's an SE with AC Schnitzer suspension -something the VRT people would not have known) - I was looking for over 6 months for it as the 330i manual estate with sports suspension is quite rare.

It's a complete scam - they are just trying to create uncertainty in the VRT process so that people will be less likely to import cars from the UK. As in, would I import a car again? - Not a hope. Would I recommend to someone to import a car? - Not a hope.

Scam - it's a complete racket.

"get hit for a grand over budget?" - I'm getting hit for nearly two grand over budget (€1772 to be precise).

Invoice: It was a private sale - so you just sign a piece of paper saying how much you paid for the car. I was being honest and said I paid 4K for the car.

I'm not going to bring it in now - I'll sell it back in the UK. Which is a shame as it's absolutely beautiful (it's an SE with AC Schnitzer suspension -something the VRT people would not have known) - I was looking for over 6 months for it as the 330i manual estate with sports suspension is quite rare.

It's a complete scam - they are just trying to create uncertainty in the VRT process so that people will be less likely to import cars from the UK. As in, would I import a car again? - Not a hope. Would I recommend to someone to import a car? - Not a hope.

Yeah you are correct there about their intentions. Call Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That is well off. Is this current? If so, can you post the exact car details? Not saying you did, but i've heard lots of stories of people inadvertently entering the wrong details on the ROS website - E36 instead of E46, that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i just entered it and got very close figures

i reckon he read out the omsp not the vrt

It never really was!

i've imported about 6 time sand always paid nearly or acually exactly what the vrt calculator gave me

so i dont know what you mean

I don't believe that the VRT calculator accurately reflects the Irish prices of cars and for that reason, I don't think its worth a damn.

Anan1 wrote: »
    That is well off. Is this current? If so, can you post the exact car details? Not saying you did, but i've heard lots of stories of people inadvertently entering the wrong details on the ROS website - E36 instead of E46, that sort of thing.

BMW e46 330i SE
    Year:2000 (July)
    manual
    estate
    petrol
    130000 miles

I thought the girl in the NCT had made a mistake ... but she just shook her head and said "no mistake". Anyway it would be fairly difficult to mix up the VRT and the OMSP because on the "Declaration" form printout the OMSP is suspiciously absent. It seems to be all done on the VIN number.

They basically take the VIN number, slice and dice it to see what the car has. Which is a joke on a 10 year old car because the VIN number is not going to tell you what shape the suspension is in, tyre condition, if the gear box is hanging off the thing, whether its been Cat D'd etc.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark - I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This new system stinks to high heaven. Having said that, do 90% of appeals for VRT overcharging get overturned?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

SIMI lobbying must have worked then!

• Advertisement

I don't believe that the VRT calculator accurately reflects the Irish prices of cars and for that reason, I don't think its worth a damn.

no but at least it used to tell you how much vasaline to bring

Advertisement