Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROS VRT What's going on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mbyrnes

Went to NCT today after checking the ROS VRT system a few times. ROS looking for 2300 Euro for 2003 C220 CDi auto elegance SE with 115000 on the clock. NCT guy wanted 4100 Euro ??? Car on its way back to UK... Someone needs to highlight this to the powers that be. NCT ripping us off. Sick of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Jesus, this is a joke. Can you go to the NCT centre before you bring in the car and get a quote there?

Don't think so.. They need to inspect the car first to verify VIN and that the car is what is stated on the log book.. so you need log book and car together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

so you can no longer import decent cars?
    is that the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Tigger wrote: »
    so you can no longer import decent cars?
    is that the plan

Unless you're a garage, that seems to be the goal of this exercise - make it unrealistic to avail of free trade between EU member states, same old rubbish, by using a misrepresented illegal tax or "Regristration fee". I guess they have to do something, there would be no Irish garages left in the country if there were no penelties or fees involved in bringing cars into the Irish market, no one would be bothered paying the Irish prices for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Ok so my dad bought a citroen c5 up north, the guy selling it checked the site(ros) to bring her down was to be 1770euro, he lands at NCT in Letterkenny and they're looking for 2850! Needless to say he wasn't happy and asked her to check the details she entered, she refused so he left. Arrived here a tad cross and asked me to re-check the website which i did and his figure is correct, now I'm hearing the scam comments and i'm sure it is one but anyway she had given him a number...(i don't have it as he took it home) but its a revenue helpline, got a nice woman and she put in the details of the car and came up with the same number as the nct centre...the verification number at the top was exactly the same for my figure as it was for her's.....she started to tell me to pay the higher amount then claim it as incorrect, then said hang on and came back a few minutes later saying that she'd call back and to tell customs/garda if stopped that we were dealing with her...she said there was a fault and that she had logged it regarding that car.....so i'm thinking that NCT have saw a gap in the scam market and have decided to cash in! I'll keep this informed when she gets back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

:mad:

Seems my plan to import may be put on ICE for a while ........

Its one thing after another ... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I imported a car two years ago and the Ros website told me the vrt was €5,700. I drove the car on uk plates for two weeks and went into the cork office to clear it and was told the vrt was €5,950. I said feck that so two weeks later I was stopped by a customs officer and he seized the car on me..:) I told him my story that I was goin clearing it that week. He made a few calls and said he didnt want to take my car so I told him I would pay him by cheque there and then. He said ok that he would find out the amount with his colleague. He came back 5 minutes later and said it would cost me €5,150 to clear it...:)

Needless to say I paid him there on the spot and he left me drive away..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

WTF is going on with this? Why are there massive discrepancies between the revenue calculator and the NCT system.

This country is pathetically incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this thread with interest as VRT is one of my pet hates for the sheer unfairness of it all. The fact that people are now being asked to pay far more than the quote they get from ROS is very worrying indeed.

Slightly OT, but the fact a person is not able to appeal without first paying the VRT due seems it might be in contravention of the legislation the VRT appeals process is based on.

If you look at the Appeals Procedure on www.revenue.ie it does seem to state that you must first pay the VRT due before you can appeal.
    The amount of VRT charged by the Revenue Commissioners in respect of the registration or conversion of a vehicle, typically these are matters arising from the valuation of vehicles or their classification for VRT purposes.The VRT due in such cases must be paid before an appeal can be entertained
    However if you look first at Section 45(1) of the Finance Act 2001
    Any person who has paid or who, in the opinion of the Commissioners, is liable to pay a duty of excise and is called on by them to pay an amount of such duty may appeal in accordance with this section against the decision concerned in respect of the liability or the amount of the duty.
    where it clearly says anyone who is liable to pay a duty, not anyone who has paid a duty and secondly Section 98(e) on page 250 of the Finance Act 2000
    2(A) Any person who is the subject of any of the following acts of the Commissioners:
    (e) a determination of an open market selling
    price
    of a vehicle under section 133(2) of
    the Finance Act, 1992, or
    may appeal against such an act to the Commissioners.’’;
    where it says a determination of an OMSP, not they payment.

Perhaps somebody on the Motors forum who's looked at this before (been down that road!) or somebody who has legal experience could comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

madalig12 wrote: »
    Ok so my dad bought a citroen c5 up north, the guy selling it checked the site(ros) to bring her down was to be 1770euro, he lands at NCT in Letterkenny and they're looking for 2850! Needless to say he wasn't happy and asked her to check the details she entered, she refused so he left. Arrived here a tad cross and asked me to re-check the website which i did and his figure is correct, now I'm hearing the scam comments and i'm sure it is one but anyway she had given him a number...(i don't have it as he took it home) but its a revenue helpline, got a nice woman and she put in the details of the car and came up with the same number as the nct centre...the verification number at the top was exactly the same for my figure as it was for her's.....she started to tell me to pay the higher amount then claim it as incorrect, then said hang on and came back a few minutes later saying that she'd call back and to tell customs/garda if stopped that we were dealing with her...she said there was a fault and that she had logged it regarding that car.....so i'm thinking that NCT have saw a gap in the scam market and have decided to cash in! I'll keep this informed when she gets back to us.

Pretty decent of the customs woman.!

Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Not that I think I'll get any sort of explanation but I emailed info@ncts.ie to ask why there is such a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Went to an auction in the north with a mate who was going for a van - at auction, saw a clean 01 Astra panel van, and it was making very small money, so I stuck in a bid(via mate who had bidding number). Toddled across to the vrt office in tullamore clutching my €50 note, to pay the commercial vrt - ok so, that'l be €1750.00 said the nice lady. Que?? "well, you could easily convert it BACK into a car" she says. Its a bloomin van, says I, it never was a car, and never will be a car. "well, €1750 please"says she. Yeah, vans worth about €1200 on a good day, so obviously, €1750 is a fair rate of vrt to pay on it, NOT. OMSP me hewel. And, its funny how the ros calculator has never heard of a lot of types of vehicles when you try and get an estimate, but when you go in to register it, the computer they use has no problem spitting out a rate. Odious tax, anti competitive and protectionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

The whole thing is a complete joke....

People getting screwed for €2k extra in VRT on a car that is hardly worth that is just madness.

Imagine what they'll try and charge if you bring something expensive in - if you bring a car that's worth €50K in then they'll probably be trying to charge €200K VRT on it!

I wonder would the cops do anything if you called them while clearing the car and reporting a robbery.....

Fuc*ers

It'd be like that film "anger management" - they'd accuse you of making a scene and being abusive, and you'd be nicked.

Just out of interest then, if a car isn't on the ROS site, who do you contact now to get a price?

From what people have said, go to psychic Sally, she'd have as much idea as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CKurtz wrote: »
    Scam - it's a complete racket.

"get hit for a grand over budget?" - I'm getting hit for nearly two grand over budget (€1772 to be precise).

Invoice: It was a private sale - so you just sign a piece of paper saying how much you paid for the car. I was being honest and said I paid 4K for the car.

I'm not going to bring it in now - I'll sell it back in the UK. Which is a shame as it's absolutely beautiful (it's an SE with AC Schnitzer suspension -something the VRT people would not have known) - I was looking for over 6 months for it as the 330i manual estate with sports suspension is quite rare.

It's a complete scam - they are just trying to create uncertainty in the VRT process so that people will be less likely to import cars from the UK. As in, would I import a car again? - Not a hope. Would I recommend to someone to import a car? - Not a hope.
    mbyrnes wrote: »
    Went to NCT today after checking the ROS VRT system a few times. ROS looking for 2300 Euro for 2003 C220 CDi auto elegance SE with 115000 on the clock. NCT guy wanted 4100 Euro ??? Car on its way back to UK... Someone needs to highlight this to the powers that be. NCT ripping us off. Sick of it..
    I would advise calling the VRO HQ office in Rosslare. The new system is only in place just over 2 weeks, and this may well be a glitch.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Funny, it never seems to be a glitch with undercharging.

I'm seething reading this thread.
    What they're essentially saying is "use our sh1te, complicated, non-transparent system in which we pull OMSP prices out of our arses, then charge 150% VRT rates on these made up prices, and if you are mad enough you're more than welcome to contest these rates in which you have a pretty good chance of getting the money back that we shouldn't have charged you in the first place".
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

I'm just wondering , have the overcharging problems arisen only since the NCT took over the system ?

can you still take your car into the local vrt/tax office and clear it that way ? or is thst finished completely ?

• Advertisement

From what I can see, NCT now have total ownership over this. In my opinion anyone who feels they are being overcharged should not pay. Get back on to the VRO and explain what is happening, get a name and a contact number in the VRO and let them sort it out. Bad and all as the VRT is, it was bearable under the old system and you knew where you stood before you bought a car. The thought of the NCT ripping us off on top of that p*sses me off... BIG TIME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Question: if they NCT are overcharging people, where does the money go ? The company that run it or the government?

I foresee somebody sueing the beeejeeesus out of the NCT in the future if they continue this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mikemike wrote: »
    can you still take your car into the local vrt/tax office and clear it that way ? or is thst finished completely ?
    You must register your vehicle, and pay VRT, at the NCT centre now.
    Question: if they NCT are overcharging people, where does the money go ? The company that run it or the government?
    The VRT goes to the government, as before. The NCTS get a flat fee (around €30) for their involvement. You pay this fee, but it is deducted from the VRT amount when you register the vehicle.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

esel wrote: »
    The VRT goes to the government, as before. The NCTS get a flat fee (around €30) for their involvement. You pay this fee, but it is deducted from the VRT amount when you register the vehicle.

Yes but if they are overcharging - were does the excess go ?

Edit: Bascially what I'm asking is - if the VRT is X, and NCT are charging X+Y, are they actually handing over the full amount of X+Y to the revenue, or are they pocketing the Y themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I really can't understand how the government could mess this up so much, VRT on imports is a massive cash cow for it and brings in much more money than when an Irish registered 2nd hand car is sold in this country, given the lack of new cars sold in 2008 and 2009 they should be doing everything in their power to encourage people to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I really can't understand how the government could mess this up so much, VRT on imports is a massive cash cow for it and brings in much more money than when an Irish registered 2nd hand car is sold in this country, given the lack of new cars sold in 2008 and 2009 they should be doing everything in their power to encourage people to import.
    They haven't messed it up, you have the Greens happy no more big old "polluting" cars being imported.
    You have SIMI happy, all new cars being sold here with the scrappage.
    And the Govt is getting all the Vat and VRT on the new car sales anyway.
    Its all good to them, they couldn't give a monkeys about anyone trying to import a car from the UK or Japan now.
    Why should they?, being chauffeur driven around in a big Lexus wouldn't exactly bring home to them how hard it is for the average person to deal with the whole car VRT system.
    When did you last hear of a Minister importing a 2nd hand car from the UK?

I got a reply to my mail!

"The VRT amounts quoted in the NCT centres are directly from Revenue. Should you have any queries in relation to the amounts quoted for VRT on particular vehicles please contact revenue on 1890430130"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Gatster wrote: »
    I got a reply to my mail!

"The VRT amounts quoted in the NCT centres are directly from Revenue. Should you have any queries in relation to the amounts quoted for VRT on particular vehicles please contact revenue on 1890430130"

Very Helpful :rolleyes:

F***ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

homer90 wrote: »
    Very Helpful :rolleyes:

F***ers

It is helpful, it blow the NCTs claim made earlier in the thread that their system is different than the VRO.

• Advertisement

I sent them this back in response to the above:

"I know of a number of incidents since the changes in VRT assessment where the figures quoted by NCT Centres are nearly double the figures that have been acquired by customers from the ROS site? When you say the VRT amounts quoted by the NCT Centres are direct from the Revenue, should these be the same as those quoted on the ROS VRT Site?"

And got this reply:

"The VRT amounts come directly from Revenue at the time of the submission of details in the NCT centre at the time of the VRT inspection. Aside from this any queries is relation to VRT prices must be directed to Revenue."

Advertisement