Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROS VRT What's going on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

testicle wrote: »
    It is helpful, it blow the NCTs claim made earlier in the thread that their system is different than the VRO.

Indeed...
    But nothing about the discrepancy between the VRT calculator and actual rate to be paid through the NCT....... Which was the point of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I sent them this back in response to the above:

"I know of a number of incidents since the changes in VRT assessment where the figures quoted by NCT Centres are nearly double the figures that have been acquired by customers from the ROS site? When you say the VRT amounts quoted by the NCT Centres are direct from the Revenue, should these be the same as those quoted on the ROS VRT Site?"

And got this reply:

"The VRT amounts come directly from Revenue at the time of the submission of details in the NCT centre at the time of the VRT inspection. Aside from this any queries is relation to VRT prices must be directed to Revenue."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Gatster wrote: »
    I sent them this back in response to the above:

"I know of a number of incidents since the changes in VRT assessment where the figures quoted by NCT Centres are nearly double the figures that have been acquired by customers from the ROS site? When you say the VRT amounts quoted by the NCT Centres are direct from the Revenue, should these be the same as those quoted on the ROS VRT Site?"

And got this reply:

"The VRT amounts come directly from Revenue at the time of the submission of details in the NCT centre at the time of the VRT inspection. Aside from this any queries is relation to VRT prices must be directed to Revenue."
    The NCT are only going to issue robotic pre-recorded responses.

This needs to be raised with TDs and ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The fee IS coming directly from Revenue. FACT. NCT are meerly doing the paperwork (and getting the abuse) they are just the middle man basically.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

michellie wrote: »
    The fee IS coming directly from Revenue. FACT. NCT are meerly doing the paperwork (and getting the abuse) they are just the middle man basically.:o

How do you know that ?
    How do you know that what NCT are charging you is what VRT are tellign them they should charge ?
    Are you given official VRT documentation ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I find that hard to believe considering they're not honouring quotes that people are receiving from the VRO.

I know because I work there.

I know because I work there.

Good reason :D

Can I ask thou - if I bring in a car and you give me a quote above what the ROI calculator tells me to expect and I ask you to provide me with evidence that this is what the VRT are telling you to charge - will you provide me with that documentary proof ?

No, you just get the declaration with the details and fee stated on it and if you want to dispute it you pay the fee then you can appeal it with revenue. I admit things are a bit messy now but im sure it will get better soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Didn't it used to be the case, where people would appeal the ROS quote, and more often than not, get some cash back.

Having to appeal an inflated "NCT" quote to the Revenue, sure stamps that out, unless you fancy your chances in a double appeal.

Again, as was pointed out earlier, funny how the side of the error is always biased against the client.

• Advertisement

No, you just get the declaration with the details and fee stated on it and if you want to dispute it you pay the fee then you can appeal it with revenue. I admit things are a bit messy now but im sure it will get better soon:D

So for now we are just supposed to take the word of NCT, a private run for profit enterprise that their overcharging is driven by the VRT ?

Seriously ?

It is a fait accompli.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi Michelle do you think the reason for NCT centre derived quotes being higher than the revenue site is because perhaps the guys at the centre are inputting the wrong car model type, e.g. Putting in an e46 instead of an e36 model 3 Series (e46 is the newer model if the two)?
    It does seem unfair that you have to pay for someone else's mistake. I know when I imported my last two cars I paid exactly what I calculated before I got on the plane to collect the car in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi Michelle do you think the reason for NCT centre derived quotes being higher than the revenue site is because perhaps the guys at the centre are inputting the wrong car model type, e.g. Putting in an e46 instead of an e36 model 3 Series (e46 is the newer model if the two)?
    It does seem unfair that you have to pay for someone else's mistake. I know when I imported my last two cars I paid exactly what I calculated before I got on the plane to collect the car in the UK.

new system tho

Well the majority of the fee's im calculating are the same as what the people are getting on the Ros website, so I cant explain the difference/whats happening in other centres. But the fee is generated from Revenue, believe it or not.

Darobot, if your appealing it, you do through revenue, its delt the same as it would have been on the 31st August before NCT took it over.

Well the majority of the fee's im calculating are the same as what the people are getting on the Ros website, so I cant explain the difference/whats happening in other centres. But the fee is generated from Revenue, believe it or not.

Where do you work and whats the wait time there ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Where do you work and whats the wait time there ?:D

And do you give a discount for Boardsies....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Darobot, if your appealing it, you do through revenue, its delt the same as it would have been on the 31st August before NCT took it over.

what do you get for this the original beemer?
    CKurtz wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but I'm just back from the NCT centre to get my car registered/VRT'd. I brought it in from the UK.

Details: BMW 330i SE manual Estate
    Year: 2000
    Mileage: 130000

Ros VRT = 728
    VRT that NCT want me to pay = 2500

I refused to pay as its not worth my while - I'll probably sell it back in the UK. I was told if I did pay I could then initiate an appeals process - but I could only appeal if I pay the amount i.e. no pay no appeal. The idea of going through an appeals process with our public servants is not something I'd have the patience for.

I asked about the inconsistency between the ROS calculation and the actual - I was told "we use a different system to ROS" :rolleyes:.

This is a complete joke - it's a 10 year old 3 litre petrol car with 130k on the clock!! You can pick up a 2000 740i for around 3k.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭kincaid

VRT in general was always a joke anyway but new system is even worse and will tie you up in alot of red type when you go to appeal..

cars that are in category c or d (Damaged Repaired) have the exact same value as a straight car even thou their market value should be 25% less..
    if you provide proof of vehicle being in category c or d do you get the quote reduced - NO!!!
    Also a vehicle with 100k is same value as one with 40k
    how fair is this -its not but thats the Government for you and their stupid idiotic plans to squeeze the very last penny out of the people of ireland,
    They are useless, incompetent, i could go on but il be here till friday next

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mbyrnes

Hi, I rang the VCO in Rosslare today as I was quoted over 4k Vrt by the NCT where the online ROS is telling me that I owe 2.3k and I was told all VRT and all VRT issues are being dealt with by the NCT. I rang the NCT VRT helpline and was told that the figure quoted by the NCT is directly from Revenue and I should direct any concerns to Revenue. The only way that I can see to get my car on the road with Irish plates is to pay nearly 2k more than I should and appeal it.. Aint going to happen as I have not got it. So trip back to the UK and try to offload the car seems my only option. I would rather do this than give those robbing B's at the NCT my hard earned money... So so pee'd off...

• Advertisement

SIMI are the only winners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

mbyrnes wrote: »
    Hi, I rang the VCO in Rosslare today as I was quoted over 4k Vrt by the NCT where the online ROS is telling me that I owe 2.3k and I was told all VRT and all VRT issues are being dealt with by the NCT. I rang the NCT VRT helpline and was told that the figure quoted by the NCT is directly from Revenue and I should direct any concerns to Revenue. The only way that I can see to get my car on the road with Irish plates is to pay nearly 2k more than I should and appeal it.. Aint going to happen as I have not got it. So trip back to the UK and try to offload the car seems my only option. I would rather do this than give those robbing B's at the NCT my hard earned money... So so pee'd off...

It really isn't worth your while going back to the UK with it. Why not just stick the VRT on your credit card (if you dont have one, why not get one) or get a small loan whilst you wait on the appeal, chances are you'll get your money back going by what people are saying here and you'll loose far less on interest than the amount of time and money you'll spend off-loading it across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

mbyrnes wrote: »

Don't pay the extra, and don't export it. Keep driving it on a UK plate.

When eventually it gets lifted, get the customs to sort it, and explain your attempts to pay thus far.

Nobody should be complying with this current system if it's so grossly unfair.

If people don't pay it will be addressed faster, if they do with the usual Irish "ah well" apathy, then it wont as the "inconsistencies" are bringing in extra revenue.

What's on the calculator is what you should be charged (at least in the case of older cars where extras are not accounted for)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

testicle wrote: »
    It is helpful, it blow the NCTs claim made earlier in the thread that their system is different than the VRO.
    steve06 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe considering they're not honouring quotes that people are receiving from the VRO.
    The online figure (an 'estimate' rather than a 'quote'....) that a punter gets when they enquire come from ROS (Revenue Online Service), not the VRO (Vehicle Registration Office - defunct now) or CVO (Central Vehicle Office, Rosslare). They're all Revenue though!

Something is badly askew alright.

I'd be very interested to see what michellie gets for Tigger's car.....
    Details: BMW 330i SE manual Estate
    Year: 2000
    Mileage: 130000

Ros VRT = 728
    VRT that NCT want me to pay = 2500

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Just wondering does anybody know what is acceptable proof of date of purchase they say you need an invoice stating the date of purchase and im wondering if u buy a car privately how can u expecta private seller to provide you with an invoice. Will they even ask for this proof or do they just want the vr5 uk logbook this all just another scheme to rip motorists off .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So what revenue system are you using to get the quotes? Is is different than the online system which is currently here: https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator and is the same calculator that your website redirects people to? If it's the same system then there should be no difference in the quote.

you also say "the majority of the fee's im calculating are the same" - what about the fees that are different?

Can you please tell me how exotica and unlisted cars will be calculated? Will it have to go to a VRO for inspection regarding value or will the NCT centre do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

This situation needs to be sorted- at a minimum we should be able to reliably ascertain the VRT amount before going and buying a car.

I've just written to my local TD to ask him to investigate/raise the issue- anyone else who is so motivated can find a full list of TD's email addresses here: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=12684

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Just an update on the Citroen C5 post on page 2 i think, so the customs got back to us, turns out it was a "Glitch" with their system, which seems to transfer to the nct system which then comes up with a completly different figure. Anyways the Ros figure was correct and my dad went back to pay that, so they don't take checks, he went up to the bank and got a draft payable to National Car Test Centre, which they wouldn't accept as it "wasn't made out to 'Applus Group' which is states on your appointment letter" Which it doesn't by the way NCT twats! An if there wasnt glass between us i'd wipe that smirk of your fricking face bitch. Totally unhelpful staff member, let us go to the bank knowing we were to get a draft and never told us who to make it out to. C**ts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

snickers wrote: »
    Just wondering does anybody know what is acceptable proof of date of purchase they say you need an invoice stating the date of purchase and im wondering if u buy a car privately how can u expecta private seller to provide you with an invoice. Will they even ask for this proof or do they just want the vr5 uk logbook this all just another scheme to rip motorists off .

I'd imagine a ferry ticket will do for proof of private purchase. They could also contact the DVLA in the UK and request the date when the previous owner sent off the export slip from the V5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the export slip on the V5 is ONLY for the registered owner to use when they are exporting a car themselves. They should WRITE to the DVLA and tell them the car has been sold to someone who is exporting it and has been given the complete V5.

Advertisement