Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROS VRT What's going on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭derv60

sorry lads, just wondering do you have time to pay the vrt after the test, or do you have to pay it there and then? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

derv60 wrote: »
    sorry lads, just wondering do you have time to pay the vrt after the test, or do you have to pay it there and then? Thanks

There and then, they accept payment by
    - Bank Draft (made payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)
    - Cash (Up to a limit of €200)
    - Laser Card (Up to a limit of €1,500)
    - Credit Card (This method of payment incurs a 1.5% surcharge)
    - Company cheque with TAN numbers only (to a limit of €10,000 payable to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tepo

I got a serious messing around from the NCT center this week. Brought in a used van from Uk. Made a appointment on line with NCT to have van inspected. Had to travel 60 miles to nearest participating NCT center. Was registering it in a company name. Checked website to see what i need to bring and brought exactly that. NCT also asked for proof of Company number. No mention of this on web site. Verbally gave number to them. They wanted it on headed paper. They didnt have a fax or e mail facilities so had to leave queue and go to an office and have it faxed and then go back to NCT. Had to re queue. Processed application but while employee said it would be €50 charge. He could'nt confirm it. Sent me home (60 miles) and said someone would be on to me from NCT. Today they rang and asked me to travel back over again just to hand in the paperwork and confirmed it is €50. They won't accept it by post. You can say what you like about Revenue Officials, they would not treat you like this. NCT are a shower of jumped up wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They can get proof of the company number here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

I know it's not strictly a car questiosn , but vrt is vrt ..

what about bringing in a camper van from the UK or Germany etc. ?

Do you have to bring it to the NCT centre or where ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yep, same procedure applies. Take it to the NCT centre and they will tell you the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

I wonder will one of the nct guys accompany you to the weigh bridge like the revenue guys used to do , or will they just look at the weigh bridge print out and say it's ok ?

And does the old rule of 3 tonne or heavier at only €50 vrt still apply ?

I'd be interested to know if anyone's registered a camper recently to know what exactly the procedure is .

so, was in the nct centre this morning to have the vrt inspecting. was quoted €1222 on the ROS website, but was charged €1681. I suppose its not that much considering some of the stories on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

so, was in the nct centre this morning to have the vrt inspecting. was quoted €1222 on the ROS website, but was charged €1681. I suppose its not that much considering some of the stories on this forum.

I would still challenge it on principle. Did they give an explanation as to why it was €459 dearer than the expected quote? I would imagine that the car you bought os greater than 4 years old so the extras fitted should (in theory) not come into it.
    If everyone challenged it they may fix the system that generates the quotes in the first place. My primary issue is not with having to pay the VRT (although it would be nice if we didn't have to*), it is the fact that you cannot get a reliable quote anymore, the last two cars i bought I imported & paid exactly what was quoted on the ROS site. I'm due a change of car now & I am relcutant to go down the import route again, the government will lose out on some VRT from me & I suspect a few more too as a result.

(*If we didn't have to pay VRT it would have to be made up somewhere else so we may as well pay it this way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tepo

Haddockman- Thats exactly what i ended giving them (a printout from CRO ) but i had to leave the queue, travel 2 mile to an office in the town that helped me out. NCT said they had no Fax or Internet facilities even for themselves. What sort of a modern business does not have Fax or Internet ? I lost most of the day as a result of their failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

madalig12 wrote: »
    he went up to the bank and got a draft payable to National Car Test Centre, which they wouldn't accept as it "wasn't made out to 'Applus Group' which is states on your appointment letter" Which it doesn't by the way NCT twats!

It does, look closer.

You dont have to pay there and then.

Yes i know, he was very slow to tell me that! At the start he told me i had to pay it on the day. When he gave me the figure i told him i couldnt afford to pay him there and then, then he said i had 30 days to pay. He said the only way i can appeal it is to pay it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Just to clarify something - you have 7 days post import - is that to make the appointment to be seen, or actually be seen in the NCt centre ?

Just to clarify something - you have 7 days post import - is that to make the appointment to be seen, or actually be seen in the NCt centre ?
    Book the appoinment within 7 days of it being imported, as far as i am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

michellie wrote: »
    You dont have to pay there and then.

sorry but could you answer this please?
    Tigger wrote: »
    what do you get for this the original beemer?

No, Sorry. Can't get a price until we input all the details when you go to the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No, Sorry.

Does mileage on the car make a difference on the calculation now. Does a car with 200k cost more to clear than a car with 50k. I know it didnt before.

Thanks Michelle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Michellie can you answer this for me?
    steve06 wrote: »
    Can you please tell me how exotica and unlisted cars will be calculated? Will it have to go to a VRO for inspection regarding value or will the NCT centre do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tepo wrote: »
    . NCT said they had no Fax or Internet facilities even for themselves. What sort of a modern business does not have Fax or Internet ?

....well I wouldn't believe them if they told me that, that's for sure - are they tell us they only write things by hand and deliver them by hand, to Revenue ? How do they get the valuations ? By post ? Of course not, they use computer/fax, so QED, they're lying.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

No, Sorry. Can't get a price until we input all the details when you go to the centre.

i know you only work there and dont set policy but thats mad ted

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tipperarycahill

I have just imported a 2008 audi a3 1.9tdi 3 door hatchback from the UK and I really need to know that the VRT, based on CO2 emissions as of 2008(new vrt system) is going to be applied!

Is this the case now as of september 2010? Are NCT or Revenue going to turn around and change the listed percentages and ROS calculated figures released from the system of 2008 and charge me more? crazy??

So, I get up off my ass, work hard, calculate my vrt based on what is available to me (ros calculator) and 2008 co2 level taxes, take a trip to the uk, purchase the car specifically with a very low CO2 emmission weight(g), inorder to be green, have a car with low road tax and generally have an efficient car and ---- BAM they hike up the VRT willy nilly and give wolly values to what should be exact?
    I`m enquiring about 2008 or newer cars here as the old system applies to pre 2008. Is this the case? Michelle?

Generally in my opinion.

I obviously do not want to pay any VRT as I strongly object to it, based on my favour to the Maastricnt Treaty, the EU which I thought was originally a concept of opening borders and allowing free movement, but Ireland undermined this inorder to take in more tax.

If they (Revenue & NCT) decide to rip us off with vrt well surely they should tell us clearly how much they are going to rip us off by before we buy the car!

This messing from NCT and Revenue is beginning to sound like another step back in the Irish public sector saga led by FF and I feel a Joe Duffy debate may be called upon If REVENUE/NCT(private spanish business) charge me more than what the co2 based system released in 2008, implies.

This country needs a revoultion boardies and If this keeps happening to you and me, we should rally a protest outside a NCT centre/ revenue office and get on to the papers about it. We would not have to affect workers or private business but make a car "rallied" statement to the government!

I hope i haven`t offended any person but I do hope I get my point across to the systems in place here.

I`m just sick of this buxxshxt!

I have just imported a 2008 audi a3 1.9tdi 3 door hatchback from the UK and I really need to know that the VRT, based on CO2 emissions as of 2008(new vrt system) is going to be applied!
    dosent matter whenthecar was regged vrt is now emmissions based rather than cc based .

Is this the case now as of september 2010?
    Are NCT or Revenue going to turn around and change the listed percentages and ROS calculated figures released from the system of 2008 and charge me more? crazy??

percentages stay the same but the values seem to be different (bigger)

So, I get up off my ass, work hard, calculate my vrt based on what is available to me (ros calculator) and 2008 co2 level taxes, take a trip to the uk, purchase the car specifically with a very low CO2 emmission weight(g), inorder to be green, have a car with low road tax and generally have an efficient car and ---- BAM they hike up the VRT willy nilly and give wolly values to what should be exact?
    yes
    you also need to import with in 7 days

{snipped the viva the revolution}

Tigger wrote: »
    dosent matter whenthecar was regged vrt is now emmissions based rather than cc based .

percentages stay the same but the values seem to be different (bigger)

yes
    you also need to import with in 7 days

{snipped the viva the revolution}

I understand it is emissions based so if they charge 16% vrt of open market value they increase the final figure on vrt. I wonder are they increasing the open market value of the car? How can they just pull a greater price out of thin air?

7days?
    Thats no problem once you agree with your uk dealer/private seller not to sign uk dvla registration form until your ready and invoice it for when you want to do vrt!

I understand it is emissions based so if they charge 16% vrt of open market value they increase the final figure on vrt. I wonder are they increasing the open market value of the car? How can they just pull a greater price out of thin air?

7days?
    Thats no problem once you agree with your uk dealer/private seller not to sign uk dvla registration form until your ready and invoice it for when you want to do vrt!

as long as you know ;)

Tigger thank you for your help and I really hope all goes according to plan. I`ll let you know what they charge when I`m finished!!

As for rebellion....we still on :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Just rang to book my car in for it's VRT examination. They told me they had no available slots and that they would get back to me via text/email when something became available. I think there is a waiting list of about 6 weeks in my locality (Letterkenny). So... I need to have the examination done within 7 days of importing the car, and the duty paid within 30. Six weeks is 42 day;s though... so where does that leave me if I get stopped by customs/guards in the mean time?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get something in writing from NCTS to that effect, so you can show it to Gardaí or Customs if stopped.

Not your ornery onager

Yes if you get it in writing you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I imported my car ~4 weeks ago. I made the mistake of not getting the V5 from the dealer at the time. Anyway, long story short I had to wait until now to get a certificate of permanent export from the DVLA so I could re-register the car. I now have an appointment for next Monday to get it all sorted.

However, funny thing happened today; I got a letter in the post from my insurance company (Quinn) informing me that under Section 142A of the Finance Act 2010 they had sent my details to the Revenue Commissioners, since I hadn't given them an Irish plate for the car yet. They also said they would cancel my insurance policy in 12 days if I failed to do so.

I took the liberty of looking this new section up (link), and indeed, it states:

30 (2) A vehicle insurer who issues a policy of insurance to a
    person for a period in excess of 42 days in relation to an unregis-
    tered vehicle shall, within one month of the date of issue of the
    policy of insurance, make a return to the Commissioners of the
    following particulars—
    35 (a) the name and address of the person to whom the
    policy of insurance issued,
    (b) the policy number,
    (c) the commencement and cessation dates of the policy
    of insurance,
    (d) the registration or identification marks assigned to the
    unregistered vehicle under a system for maintaining
    a record of vehicles and their ownership duly estab-
    lished by or on behalf of the government or other
    authority of the state (other than the State) or terri-
    tory concerned, or where no such registration or
    identification mark has been assigned, the vehicle
    identification number,
    Amendment of
    section 141
    (regulations) of
    Finance Act 2005.
    Return of motor
    insurance
    particulars.
    (e) the country code for the state or territory concerned
    referred to in paragraph (d) as set out in the Inter-
    national Standard ISO 3166-1 (Codes for Represen-
    tation of Names of Countries and their Subdivision)
    of the International Organisation for Standardis-
    ation, and
    (f) the make, model, type and colour (if known) of the
    vehicle.

So, if you've brought in a car and have it insured by an Irish insurer, beware.

Advertisement