Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROS VRT What's going on?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cond0r wrote: »
    So, if you've brought in a car and have it insured by an Irish insurer, beware.

This has been the case for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

First time I have heard of anyone getting trouble over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bearing in mind the glaring discrepancy between the Revenue On-Line VRT calculator and the actual figure subsequently demanded by the NCT franchisee,are there grounds for a legal challenge here ?

Surely if a citizen follows the laid down procedures and uses the Officially maintaned and supposedly accurate database he/she should have a reasonable expectation of being fully legal and corect ?

This sounds to me as if the NCT acting on behalf of the State are imposing a form of double jepoardy on the Citizen,whereby a person meeting the requirements of one State Body,then at the last moment is placed in a position of non-conformity...That just sounds dubious....but it also sounds remarkably IRISH. :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Haddockman wrote: »
    First time I have heard of anyone getting trouble over it.

http://www.completecar.ie/news/article/64/Revenue-crackdown-on-VRT-evasion http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2010/05/19/revenue-officials-set-to-track-down-vrt-evaders-through-their-insurance-policy/
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the glaring discrepancy between the Revenue On-Line VRT calculator and the actual figure subsequently demanded by the NCT franchisee,are there grounds for a legal challenge here ?

No, because the ROS VRT calculator only gives you an 'estimate'. They've got it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭richiet

Been through the process today.

Car is an '83 Golf GTI.

The online VRT calculator gave me an estimate of €1079. Having read this thread I didn't know what to expect when I went to VRT it today.

To my surprise, it was €640.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 k11eran

hi, i have my audi 2002 1.6 petrol since march 2009 and until now i have not paid the vrt, i am living in donegal and have the car registered to an address in northern ireland, i now want to pay the vrt but will i have to back pay for the lapsed time since i bought it? the vrt on the ros website is now €560.00 will this be the same when i go to the nct center????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

I know, I know, this is an old thread etc

But was looking at other threads to find an answer and couldn't.

Anyways, can anyone tell me if this shameful mess has been sorted out ?

Or is there still a massive difference between the ROS online quote and the price one has to pay at the NCT centre ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ROS is the only system used in the NCT centre. So as long as you choose the correct make & model and correct co2 on the vrt calculator the fee should be the same.

90% of the people who come into me get the same fee online.

The other 10% are people who just haven't done it right, some just buy the car and don't even look at the website for a quote. Some just go onto the calculator and pick the closest car that sounds like their one (most people bring in print offs of it) with a totally wrong model and co2 that will obviously be a different price. And then you have people who don't pay within the 30 days and the penalty is included in the price.

So just do your homework. And for god sake bring the correct paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What penalty is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

I imported a car on 4th April and booked the VRT appointment the next day for the 17th, thinking that everything would be OK. However, it turned out that I had bought a pup and major engine surgery was needed. It went in to the garage on the 12th and there it sits with its innards out on a bench awaiting new parts, which have now been ordered. I rang to cancel the appointment when it became apparent that it wasn't going to be ready in time. I'm hoping to have it back early next week but can't make another appointment until I have it back.

The original booking ID number is still being referred to when I go in to have a look at the website, so hopefully the fact that I originally booked it within the 7 days will be OK.

Fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

whoami1 wrote: »
    I imported a car on 4th April and booked the VRT appointment the next day for the 17th, thinking that everything would be OK. However, it turned out that I had bought a pup and major engine surgery was needed. It went in to the garage on the 12th and there it sits with its innards out on a bench awaiting new parts, which have now been ordered. I rang to cancel the appointment when it became apparent that it wasn't going to be ready in time. I'm hoping to have it back early next week but can't make another appointment until I have it back.

The original booking ID number is still being referred to when I go in to have a look at the website, so hopefully the fact that I originally booked it within the 7 days will be OK.

Fingers crossed...

You have to book it within 7 days, it has to be paid within 30 days regardless of when you booked it, If it goes over the 30 days you pay a penalty. The Id number doesn't really mean anything.

Advertisement