Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Networks Just for a Phone...

Options
  • 16-09-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

The situation is that I am currently with Meteor but I want to get a new phone, specifically a Nokia E52. However Meteor don't do this phone on pay as you go so now I'm considering switching to Vodafone for it.

I've had no problems with Meteor (besides phone reception, but I think that may just be the phone I bought) and have been with them for the past number of years.

Is it common to switch networks just for a phone? Is there any downside to switching or is every network practically the same? The only real worry I have is with phone reception. Is there any way to know wheter vodafone will have a decent signal where I live because at the moment I have pretty poor reception with meteor and have to leave my phone in one place at all times to get a signal.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I switched from Vodafone to Meteor to get a specific phone, plus Meteor had cheaper tariffs (for my usage). I wouldn't move to a more expensive provider for a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well they both have basically the same PAYG plan. Vodafone is 1c more expensive on texts, but thats it...

That could be an idea. Most of my mates are on different networks and I go for free texts to any network anyways.

It may seem like a stupid question but what is the story with unlocking phones? I hear about it the whole time but don't know exactly what the situation is. Is it possible to get a phone on Vodafone PAYG and then switch back to meteor, or is it even allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Why a e52 can I ask?

Why a e52 can I ask?

Well it has all the features I could need, good battery life, not touchscreen and I always found Nokias to be good phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Buying it sim free will cost you a little more, but you want have doubts about different plans or coverage. the extra cash may be worth the piece of mind if you happy with your current setup.

Feel free to post your usage if you want any opinions if switching elsewhere would be better/more suited to you

Well all I really use is free texts to any network and I believe they all do that. I rarely make phone calls. I checked up on it today and see that O2 are €10 more expensive than Vodafone. Is there any reason I should pick one over the other seeing as they are offering practically the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

VonLuck wrote: »
    Well all I really use is free texts to any network and I believe they all do that. I rarely make phone calls. I checked up on it today and see that O2 are €10 more expensive than Vodafone. Is there any reason I should pick one over the other seeing as they are offering practically the same thing?

Depends on you really. Vodafone give you 600 webtexts against o2's 250. o2 have an EDGE network, where VF do not, this is handy for internet usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

Would you consider the Nokia E63? meteor have that, features are basically the same bar 2mp camera vs 3.2 on the E52. Its cheaper and the rates for calls and texts are cheaper on meteor.

Good phone, i bought it couple weeks ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

The situation is that I am currently with Meteor but I want to get a new phone, specifically a Nokia E52. However Meteor don't do this phone on pay as you go so now I'm considering switching to Vodafone for it.

I've had no problems with Meteor (besides phone reception, but I think that may just be the phone I bought) and have been with them for the past number of years.

Is it common to switch networks just for a phone? Is there any downside to switching or is every network practically the same? The only real worry I have is with phone reception. Is there any way to know wheter vodafone will have a decent signal where I live because at the moment I have pretty poor reception with meteor and have to leave my phone in one place at all times to get a signal.

Thanks.

I switched from meteor to Vodafone back in April and found their coverage to be a lot better especially when I visited friends in the country. Sometimes with Meteor I had no signal for the weekend never had this with Vodafone. I am on the texts to all networks too so only spend avg 20 euro every 25-30 days so I find it to be the same vaule as Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any reason I should pick one over the other seeing as they are offering practically the same thing?

the 3 version is more expensive than the o2 one but there not the same phone software wise, the 3 version allows for conference calling, Video calling, Free Skype & Msn built in.
    With your top up you get the free texts like all the rest of the networks but you also get 3000 free weekend calls to all mobile networks and landlines.
    They give you 5euro credit back every month so you can get a 500mb add on for the internet on your phone and still have your 20 euro credit.
    There is no pre pay data add on with o2. You also need to top up by 30 to get the vodafone internet add on.
    Your paying 20 extra for the phone but your getting a lot more things included once you start using the phone and you'll easily get the money back in savings over a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Well it has all the features I could need, good battery life, not touchscreen and I always found Nokias to be good phones.

Have you looked at the E5 instead? Although I haven't used one myself and haven't seen any reviews I'd say it would be a better cheaper phone that will tick all the above boxes for you.

somebody else mentioned an e63. truthfully I would skip it very dissapointing phone, probably better getting an older e71 instead

Have you looked at the E5 instead? Although I haven't used one myself and haven't seen any reviews I'd say it would be a better cheaper phone that will tick all the above boxes for you.

somebody else mentioned an e63. truthfully I would skip it very dissapointing phone, probably better getting an older e71 instead

Don't like the look of it. Too many buttons and too big to be honest. :/

Advertisement