Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens help 350d

• 16-09-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have a canon 350d. Its a grand slr that does what I want, i.e. point and click, but ability to mess if i want. I have the kit lenses for it 18-55 and 70-300 (from my film canon), and I got a canon 50mm prime.

When we went on hols though, I found it a pain having to carry around lenses, but didn't like only having the 18-55 as I couldn't take any long shots. A friend had a nikon with a 18-200 sigma, that I thought looked great - and also, was very fast with taking shots compared to mine (now, his nikon is newer however.)

So .... after all my waffle! Basically help please. I'm thinking of getting a sigma 18-200 here on pixmania for 206e

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/94823/art/sigma/18-200mm-f3-5-6-3-dc-zoom.html

Is this a good deal, or will I get a better one elsewhere? Would the tamron be as good? I can't afford a canon one. I'm basically looking for one lens that I can take on hols. Am I been silly in looking to get a lens for my dslr, or should I just look at a good point and click which will be smaller to carry? (I do want to take decent pics though)

Hope the above makes sense ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Third Eye

The Sigma on Pixmania has no Optical Stabiliser (OS) which might be a problem as all hand movement will be exaggerated when you zoom up to 200mm. Also, I have read that when considering a zoom you should try to avoid going beyond a ratio of 3. In other words, if you are going for a 200mm zoom, stay in the 70–200mm zoom range. I have a 18–200 Sigma and I have to say it's pretty soft (even with OS).

So, I think you should at 70–200mm and stick with the kit for anything below that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

If you just want it for holiday snaps etc. and you're not going to be checking sharpness at 100% then that lens is perfect. If you can afford to get the OS version then I'd recommend that as it helps when it's darker and you need a slower shutter and it supposed to be sharper but you can always turn on the flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I think it'll be mainly just for holiday snaps, as for all other decent shots, I can use whatever lens I can fit in the car - so no limit on space or weight!

The OS is an extra £100, and not sure if thats worth it - although i'd say where I'd be wanting a flash, a flash would be no use - i.e. outdoor street photographs. (but with the kids, we're never out when it gets dark anyway as bedtime is soooo early!)

Third Eye - I already have a 70-300 canon kit lens, which is fine for zoom, but heavy and an extra lens when travelling by plane. I'm looking for an all in one lens, that will reduce my hand baggage, but not completely limit my shots.

Is the 206e a good price? Our next holiday won't be for another, so is it worth waiting on the hope that the OS version will be reduced when it becomes last years model?

Advertisement