Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservatory Roof / Gutter problem

• 16-09-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Have a problem at the moment in the family home. Basically many moons ago we had a conservatory built out the back of our house. Years later we had an extension built onto it as we had a relative coming to live with us so it's a bedroom with a bathroom etc.

The conservatory is basically now like a lean to. It's got a plastic roof that extends from the main building to the extension and then rests on a door frame where the extension stops. I've attached a crude drawing of it to give a better idea.

The problem is the guttering was never built correctly between the conservatory and the extension. The water is running down to a gutter that's there but the gutter has no where to go + it's not fully sealed. We have huge leaks in the roof right at the gap between the two and we have to get it sorted.

We've gotten a quote of around €1,500 for someone who says they'll put in a new gutter and then put a hole through the wall to run it to the gutter in the garden. This is just outside the door on the side of the extension.

We had another person suggesting we get the entire roof raised at the main building wall and the a box gutter put in all along the conservatory. We haven't yet found anyone who can do this however but we need to do something quick cos the heavy rain is almost flooding the conservatory. The walls are already in bits from it all and they'll probably need replastering.

I suppose I'm looking for ideas to fix it/people companies to contact who can help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pictures would be better, the drawing doesn't give much info. Is the extension flat roof or leaning one way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

I'll try get some pics later.

The extension is flat roof but the plastic conservatory roof actually ends about 2 feet down the extension wall not at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sounds like a strange one. Something like a lead valley might be suitable, the conservatory design could make it a non runner though.

Post your general area, and someone might be able to suggest someone near you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Unless you simply seal it with endless amounts of gunge, you'll need to re-detail the joint between the conservatory and the rear extension.
    With glazing, I prefer to keep it high and discharge into a roof, like a projecting rooflight on a flat foor for example.
    Glass roofes are made in sections and its impossible to seal to glass unless its housed.
    In this case you may need to cut back the glazing to allow it to discharge into a vally gutter and install a valley gutter and insulate the underside to stop condensation drips internally when its raining - sounds like a mess, doesn't it.

For what it might cost to do a bad job well - if you follow me, you might get someone to re-roof and install a new conservatory at a higher level and form a proper vally gutter on the far side of the walling.

Pictures please. :)

De.Lite.Touch

Unless you simply seal it with endless amounts of gunge, you'll need to re-detail the joint between the conservatory and the rear extension.
    With glazing, I prefer to keep it high and discharge into a roof, like a projecting rooflight on a flat foor for example.
    Glass roofes are made in sections and its impossible to seal to glass unless its housed.
    In this case you may need to cut back the glazing to allow it to discharge into a vally gutter and install a valley gutter and insulate the underside to stop condensation drips internally when its raining - sounds like a mess, doesn't it.

For what it might cost to do a bad job well - if you follow me, you might get someone to re-roof and install a new conservatory at a higher level and form a proper vally gutter on the far side of the walling.

Pictures please. :)

De.Lite.Touch

Yeah the valley gutter/box gutter had been suggested before but instead of cutting back the plastic roof, they suggested just raising the roof and it would discharge into the gutter.

How expensive would a new roof be out of curiosity? I will get pictures next time I am in the house. Thanks

• Advertisement

By the way this has been "gunged" to death believe me! Lead/silicon/sealant.

Just using pots now :)

Dr. Dodger wrote: »
    Yeah the valley gutter/box gutter had been suggested before but instead of cutting back the plastic roof, they suggested just raising the roof and it would discharge into the gutter.

How expensive would a new roof be out of curiosity? I will get pictures next time I am in the house. Thanks

I don't know, but you should take a look at the whole ensemble and see it there are improvements to be made to the way it all works as well.

De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

is a new roof an option? could you fall the roof left or right??

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    is a new roof an option? could you fall the roof left or right??

No it couldn't fall left or right as there is a wall either side that goes a couple of feet above the roof.

Could it fall from the back/party wall to the front/side?

Failing that could you do a formed gutter with main support and then rise up in a pitch in glass like an A running from party to side?

DLT

• Advertisement
Advertisement