Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buffing up metal work

Options
  • 16-09-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

lads i picked up my shotgun this morning, its a lanber 28'', its grand and clean everything is nice a firm with it, only problem i have is the metal around the trigger is gone a bit tarnished, whats the best to use to buff it up, i was looking at stuff earlier called silvo, but not sure if its safe to use

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jap gt wrote: »
    lads i picked up my shotgun this morning, its a lanber 28'', its grand and clean everything is nice a firm with it, only problem i have is the metal around the trigger is gone a bit tarnished, whats the best to use to buff it up, i was looking at stuff earlier called silvo, but not sure if its safe to use

Silvo and brasso are as old as the hills

they do a great job on all metals, if you get a buffer brush and put it in s drill with polishing soap either and it will make it nice and shiney.

be careful if using a drill though, requires a steady hand. A rag and silvo will be ok if you have a can of Elbow grease ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

jap gt wrote: »

There are loads of metal polishes out there. What you use will depend on the type of metal and what your doing. Off the top of my head I cant remember the products that I was using the last time I was polishing as i normally use a buffer wheel but mask up anything that you dont want the polish to get on. Or choose a polish thats more a gel or paste consistancy so that it wont run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

When you say tarnished around the trigger do you mean slightly corroded or simply discoloured. It could be just oil and dirt that has hardened, in which case Silvo, Brasso could do the job. I'd be a bit wary of using any kind of abrasive without trying solvents first. 0000 steel wool with a lubriciant works well as a mild abrasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

sfakiaman wrote: »
    When you say tarnished around the trigger do you mean slightly corroded or simply discoloured. It could be just oil and dirt that has hardened, in which case Silvo, Brasso could do the job. I'd be a bit wary of using any kind of abrasive without trying solvents first. 0000 steel wool with a lubriciant works well as a mild abrasive.

its just discoloured, no rust thank god

Advertisement