Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor data connection terrible

Options
  • 16-09-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I use my HTC Legend in Dublin city centre everyday but lately I cannot rely on it to maintain a consistant data connection. I use my data connection mostly for internet browsing, checking email, google maps and navigation.

When I'm home in the subarbs theres no problem at all.

Any one else having the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I can only seem to get Edge in my office, but then it gets a whiff of 3G or HSDPA and the signal is so poor nothing gets downloaded.

I've never had any trouble outside the building though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

uUsed it many times inside and outside. never had a problem with decent coverage

Though if the 3G coverage is weak and you keep switching from Edge to 3G it will cause an unstable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Yep - over the past few days in town (Dublin) I'v experienced data 'issues'. I've an EDGE-only device so it's not the change-over to 3G. Also, at same time a Twitter app has stopped working - something is blocking it. This happened last year for months - then it just worked again. Seems they are fiddling about somewhere on the network.

Usually no problems at all.

well thats not a connection issue or the phones issue. lol ur expecting decent internet from edge? really

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

well thats not a connection issue or the phones issue. lol ur expecting decent internet from edge? really

Correct - it's a network issue (isn't that what we're talking about?)

EDGE is more than adequate for mail, maps, twitter. Proper EDGE, not GPRS. Especially if it's all you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Edge isnt all that reliable though, EDGE uses the voice network not HSPA, as it uses the voice network the more and more calls in progress of the mast the less packets are given to the edge network resulting in slower speeds etc.

This is the basic technology of GSM after all in it was originally designed for Voice calls.

as above. edge is made for voice with features of being able to handle small packets of data being sent for light usage on your phone. you really cant expect more than that. Its hardly meteors fault either? all networks in this country has their weak and strong coverage areas. its not a network issue or any issue at all. its just bad coverage ;)

i suggest you find a carrier that either has 3G in your house or get a decent ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Edge isnt all that reliable though, EDGE uses the voice network not HSPA, as it uses the voice network the more and more calls in progress of the mast the less packets are given to the edge network resulting in slower speeds etc.

This is the basic technology of GSM after all in it was originally designed for Voice calls.

HSPA is affected by calls also every cell no matter if its GPRS EDGE 3G HSPA all get affected by calls as calls and texts get priority over data still tough HSPA can handle much more than EDGE can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

When I try to access websites through my phone; a lot of the time I get the error message: Packet Data Connection Not Available. This occurs frequently. I'm with Meteor for the last 22 months, prior to that I was with Virgin in UK and never had a problem. I was told by Meteor to go to the Nokia Care Cantre and get a software update, but in Ireland, that will cost me €30.00 to bypass the blocks imposed.
    I have a Nokia N73 that I could update the software online whenever I needed to in UK, that option in blocked in Ireland but I can't find out if it's a Meteor problem or just Ireland in general.:mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

ozymandius wrote: »
    Also, at same time a Twitter app has stopped working - something is blocking it.

Twitter changed their authentication API last week, so if you haven't updated the app to work with the new authentication method, it won't be able to log in. That's the most likely reason for your twitter app to have stopped working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

could someone post their data and mms apn settings for a htc legend that are working for them. Ive rang meteor three times and every time i got different data settings which is frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

cardol wrote: »
    When I try to access websites through my phone; a lot of the time I get the error message: Packet Data Connection Not Available. This occurs frequently. I'm with Meteor for the last 22 months, prior to that I was with Virgin in UK and never had a problem. I was told by Meteor to go to the Nokia Care Cantre and get a software update, but in Ireland, that will cost me €30.00 to bypass the blocks imposed.
    I have a Nokia N73 that I could update the software online whenever I needed to in UK, that option in blocked in Ireland but I can't find out if it's a Meteor problem or just Ireland in general.:mad:

I have found out that software updates are blocked in Ireland regardless of what network you're with. I had an HTC Smart for a week with O2, and transfered the O2 SIM card to my Nokia to see if I could install updates but it was blocked.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

could someone post their data and mms apn settings for a htc legend that are working for them. Ive rang meteor three times and every time i got different data settings which is frustrating!

id appreciate this aswell for my samsung captivate it is not picking up the 3g network automatically and im not sure where i can find the network settings

Advertisement