Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Street at night ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

Theres no law about them standing on the street. Gardai can only really do something if they pick up a client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I post this in the other thread, it was relevant here too.

The single men companions moved on from Catherine Street and were walking the full length of Lower Hartstonge Street (Pery Square to Henry Street). I spotted them there before and after the Munster Match. The Guards was questing one of them when I arrived back to the car after the match. They were not good looking and very obvious and stuck out like sore thumbs. The ones on the continent are a lot more subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I work in the belltable and the ladies of the night were quite obvious on the corner of harstonge(sp) and O'connell street all week last week, from 7pm onwards.
    I reckon with the getups the have on they are a hazard to driving.

Legalise it, regulate it, tax it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I work in the belltable and the ladies of the night were quite obvious on the corner of harstonge(sp) and O'connell street all week last week, from 7pm onwards.
    I reckon with the getups the have on they are a hazard to driving.

Legalise it, regulate it, tax it

Ok.

You should use your full mobile number though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Don't get that raiser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

Raiser wrote: »
    Ok.

You should use your full mobile number though?

Reckon that's coz Birdie's username is "086"

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭jc77

I always thought dock road was where the hookers hung out, although I've never seen em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

jc77 wrote: »
    I always thought dock road was where the hookers hung out, although I've never seen em.

O'curry street around the corner apparently. Though they are quite large, so you may need to take a step back to view them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I know this is an old thread, but this is a new story:
    22 CONVICTED ON PROSTITUTION CHARGES FOLLOWING GARDA STING IN LIMERICK
    06 December 2011

Twenty-two men have been convicted at Limerick District Court after they approached undercover gardai posing as prostitutes in the city.

The men aged between their late 30's and early 60's pleaded guilty to soliciting or importuning a person for purposes of prostitution on dates between November 11th and December 3rd.

A total of 27 men were due before the court.

Live 95FM's Eric Clarke reports from Limerick District Court...

Each of the 22 men who were convicted after pleading guilty today have been fined €470 with the money to be paid to Doras Luimni.

Sgt Michelle Leahy outlined similar facts as each case was called in that Gardai had been conducting an operation using female gardai as decoy prostitutes and the men had approached and offered to pay for sexual acts.

The offences were committed on Catherine Street, Mallow Street and Barrington Street.

The men have addresses in Limerick city and county, Tipperary and Charleville.

In another case the judge refused to grant legal aid to a defendant saying if he can afford to pay for a lady of the night he can afford to pay for a member of the second oldest profession - a lawyer.

That was one of five cases adjourned to dates in the New Year.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/22-convicted-on-prostitution-charges-following-garda-sting-in-limerick/4515e257-848f-4787-82d5-78903fb3d86a

What I found most interesting is the judge's logic in refusing to grant one of the defendant's legal aid - saying that if he could afford the services of the lady in question, he should be able to afford a lawyer. I would love to see the day when judges adopt this approach to other defendants: if they can afford a sawn-off shotgun/armoured car/bullet proof vest etc, they shouldn't expect the taxpayers to pay for their legal defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Excellent post and point well made, gaf1983.

Wonder will one of our Legal Eagles ever have the guts to make reference to this case when one of the well heeled local scumarati makes his next free-legal aid appearance in front of the beak.

btw, wouldn't this money have been better spent by giving it to The Rape Crisis Centre, Doras Luimni are already a very well funded quango with an agenda that (afaik) extends well beyond prostitution, they come across as an organisation who continually clamour for open immigration above anything else.

Also the inference that all "ladies of the night" (as our Willie calls) them are foreign nationals....smacks of racial stereotyping no matter how well meaning the gesture. In any case RCC would have been a far more deserving cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

europa11 wrote: »
    btw, wouldn't this money have been better spent by giving it to The Rape Crisis Centre, Doras Luimni are already a very well funded quango with an agenda that (afaik) extends well beyond prostitution, they come across as an organisation who continually clamour for open immigration above anything else.

Also the inference that all "ladies of the night" (as our Willie calls) them are foreign nationals....smacks of racial stereotyping no matter how well meaning the gesture. In any case RCC would have been a far more deserving cause.

Thinking the same myself when I heard the news, odd choice, but were'nt Doras in the news wittering on about something lately, maybe that's what caught the Judges attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Twas some lucky coincidence that our local Ban Gardaí happened to be on Catherine street at the time in those knee high boots and PVC skirts - Fair play girls......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Raiser wrote: »
    Twas some lucky coincidence that our local Ban Gardaí happened to be on Catherine street at the time in those knee high boots and PVC skirts - Fair play girls......

Wonder where they stored their batons?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

"jesus roisin, I know there have been cutbacks since we left templemore, but I nevr thought you'd go on the game!"

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

LOL at being named and shamed, looks like the 5 who pleaded innocent have gotten away with being named!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Ha, the shame of it.

Love how they have the name age and address, just in case there was any doubt.
    Nearly make ya want to call into them and have a chat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Fecking eejits wouldn't they have copped on when the hookers started started cheecking out their tax discs and saying "veh hickle" instead of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

ABEasy wrote: »
    LOL at being named and shamed, looks like the 5 who pleaded innocent have gotten away with being named!

The 21 pleaded guilty, the other five didn't show up at the court and one was refused the free legal aid so is put off till another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Prostitution itself is not an offence under Irish law. However, the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act of 1993 prohibits soliciting or importuning another person in a street or public place for the purpose of prostitution (this offence applies to prostitute and client). It also prohibits loitering for the purpose of prostitution, organizing prostitution by controlling or directing the activities of a person in prostitution, coercing one to practice prostitution for gain, living on earnings of the prostitution of another person, and keeping a brothel or other premises for the purpose of prostitution. Advertising brothels and prostitution is prohibited by the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act of 1994. The minimum legal age for a prostitute in Ireland is 18 years (child prostitution legislation exists to protect persons under this age). The Criminal Law (Trafficking in Persons and Sexual Offences) Bill 2006 came into force making trafficking in persons for the purpose of their sexual exploitation a specific offence, though previous legislation already covered much of this area.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Technically they should be aloud no?

Wouldnt the gardai wimmins be done for false advertising? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well the end product was the same, they all got screwed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Bock The Robber is after tweeting the following, and I think he/she/it/they is bang on the money:

"We can publish the names of 27 men convicted of hiring a hooker, but not the names of the #Anglo bondholders. Great little country."

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

know of one of the guys, the fella from listowel.....SMALL town, LONG winter of abuse ahead of him I reckon....

imho, if you're that ahrd up that you're going for a hooker, then for the love of christ don't pick a girl off the street. Limerick isn't Amsterdam (never been, tbh if i went I'd prob go to the real coffee shops and museums instead of red light district and weed central)!

He, and the rest of them, were very lucky they were'nt robbed and/or beaten up by pimps.....silly silly silly men

One of them was an ex principal of a national school in ennis, they had his photo all over one of the tabloids yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Technically they should be aloud no?

on street soliciting is in a public place, thats the crime.

if they were workign from an apartment, on their own, and advertising online, they're pretty much untouchable. two girls in same apartment, courts consider a brothel, and charge them for running a brothel. which in itself isnt the best, as there's safety in numbers for them.

Just ****ing legalise it, tax it licence it, regular health screenings, make everything above board,register the buildings, because the worst thing about all of it at the moment is the money those girls are paying to certain undesirables in Limerick for rent in apartments. If it was legal, the girls could do what they please, be subject to checks, and the gov could earn tax from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

zuroph wrote: »
    on street soliciting is in a public place, thats the crime.

if they were workign from an apartment, on their own, and advertising online, they're pretty much untouchable. two girls in same apartment, courts consider a brothel, and charge them for running a brothel. which in itself isnt the best, as there's safety in numbers for them.

Just ****ing legalise it, tax it licence it, regular health screenings, make everything above board,register the buildings, because the worst thing about all of it at the moment is the money those girls are paying to certain undesirables in Limerick for rent in apartments. If it was legal, the girls could do what they please, be subject to checks, and the gov could earn tax from it.

exacty. at least then the gardai and the courts can sort out real criminals and sex offenders.

also if it was legalised it wouldntlook half as seedy in the city centre lat at night.

always said to my mates life would have been so much easier if it was legal when your a young teen. go out tr to pick up a bird. if all the birds are too stuck up then off down to a whore house:D would definitly stop some of the snobby *ahem smyths crowd;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

^^^^
    You should have stopped typing after your second sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Ask anyone comming up from the stella bingo hall and they can tell you
    the reg of the pimps jeep that drops off the girls. Makes you wonder why the Garda goes for the easy pickings. I mean the pimps are the real criminals, the girls are victims and the men are desperate. And I bet your man driving the 35000 euro jeep gets social welfare from the Irish state.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement