Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Street at night ...

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Ask anyone comming up from the stella bingo hall and they can tell you
    the reg of the pimps jeep that drops off the girls. Makes you wonder why the Garda goes for the easy pickings. I mean the pimps are the real criminals, the girls are victims and the men are desperate. And I bet your man driving the 35000 euro jeep gets social welfare from the Irish state.

Case is a lot harder to prove and requires surveillance and probably CAB involvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

constantg wrote: »
    the reg of the pimps jeep that drops off the girls. Makes you wonder why the Garda goes for the easy pickings. I mean the pimps are the real criminals, the girls are victims and the men are desperate. And I bet your man driving the 35000 euro jeep gets social welfare from the Irish state.

Case is a lot harder to prove and requires surveillance and probably CAB involvement.
    Well I'm sure the 20 lads caught were under surveillance when they approached the ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

phill106 wrote: »
    constantg wrote: »

Well I'm sure the 20 lads caught were under surveillance when they approached the ladies

Yes, by the ladies.....who were Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

Criminalizing prostitution just makes it more dangerous for the women. No society has ever stopped it.
    Legalise it, state control it, tax it, like they do in Australia.

The punative punishment brigade that published the names and addresses are likely to cause suicide and multiple family distructions. What happens to the teenagers in school? I know the men broke the law, but what law did their kids break? Of course the smug & the self rightious will hide behind - its not against the law to publish or the men should have thought of that first.

Check out the bible for the response to that attitute. something about stoning?
    Shame on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

big fellow wrote: »
    Criminalizing prostitution just makes it more dangerous for the women. No society has ever stopped it.
    Legalise it, state control it, tax it, like they do in Australia.

The punative punishment brigade that published the names and addresses are likely to cause suicide and multiple family distructions. What happens to the teenagers in school? I know the men broke the law, but what law did their kids break? Of course the smug & the self rightious will hide behind - its not against the law to publish or the men should have thought of that first.

Check out the bible for the response to that attitute. something about stoning?
    Shame on you!

+1
    Great post....Feel so sorry for the innocent wives and kids involved here...it was a reprehensible act to publish those names...

LEGALISE it..stop the trafficking of women.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The punative punishment brigade that published the names and addresses are likely to cause suicide and multiple family distructions.

I won't argue with the rest point your making, but the part in bold there could have been put a bit more thoughtfully. Suicide tends to be more complicated than that. It's rarely so straight-forward as an article in the papers being "likely to cause" such an ultimate reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

moby2101 wrote: »
    +1
    Great post....Feel so sorry for the innocent wives and kids involved here...it was a reprehensible act to publish those names...

LEGALISE it..stop the trafficking of women.

Maybe they should have thought of their wives and kids before they went off doing something illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Maybe they should have thought of their wives and kids before they went off doing something illegal?

What the weather like up there? lol.

There is plenty worst crimes happening everyday that need resources more than this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Totally missed the point..

Totally missed the point..

I don't think so, birdie086 is right, everybody knows its illegal. Nobody forced them to go out and break the law. The newspapers didn't bring shame on them and their families, they did that themselves.

This Irish culture of ah sure it's grand, and have the guards nothing better to be doing, is destroying our country.

What most people don't realise is a lot of these girls are brought in from eastern Europe by gangs to ply their trade. In other words human trafficking, we're talking about serious organised crime here, of which prostitution is only one arm. Not just one girl out selling herself for a few bucks. By people using their 'service' it's funding organised crime in the long run, which is serious, very serious.

I'm going to finish with the age old saying: if you can't do the time, don't do the crime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

source wrote: »
    I don't think so, birdie086 is right, everybody knows its illegal. Nobody forced them to go out and break the law. The newspapers didn't bring shame on them and their families, they did that themselves.

This Irish culture of ah sure it's grand, and have the guards nothing better to be doing, is destroying our country.

What most people don't realise is a lot of these girls are brought in from eastern Europe by gangs to ply their trade. In other words human trafficking, we're talking about serious organised crime here, of which prostitution is only one arm. Not just one girl out selling herself for a few bucks. By people using their 'service' it's funding organised crime in the long run, which is serious, very serious.

I'm going to finish with the age old saying: if you can't do the time, don't do the crime!

That what I meant, can't see why people are upset that their names have been published, they are all adults who committed the crime in the first place.

I actually think it should be legalised and made safer for the girls and their customers with regular screening etc. Also it could be taxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

With that in mind, what did the sting operation achieve? The cops arrested a few men, whose crime it was to pay for sex yet the real criminals - those that import the girls and make all the money - get off scott free and will continue operating as long as the cops ignore the gangland criminals.

phog wrote: »

With that in mind, what did the sting operation achieve? The cops arrested a few men, whose crime it was to pay for sex yet the real criminals - those that import the girls and make all the money - get off scott free and will continue operating as long as the cops ignore the gangland criminals.

Organised crime is very difficult to prove in court, so the idea is to disrupt the operations of the gangs by going after those willing to give over their money. If people look at this and see the names being published, they'll be less likely to try it themselves, that hurts the gangs as things like prostitution and drugs are the revenue builders for gangs.

There has been a lot of good work done in limerick on prostitution over the last few years, many brothels found and shut down, people arrested, charged and convicted of trafficking for sex etc etc. I can't post links on my phone and laptop is screwed, but search the back editions of the local papers and you'll find the cases.

Unfortunately that kind of police work doesn't get the same kind of publicity as some name and shame.

Organised crime is very difficult to prove in court, so the idea is to disrupt the operations of the gangs by going after those willing to give over their money. If people look at this and see the names being published, they'll be less likely to try it themselves, that hurts the gangs as things like prostitution and drugs are the revenue builders for gangs.

There has been a lot of good work done in limerick on prostitution over the last few years, many brothels found and shut down, people arrested, charged and convicted of trafficking for sex etc etc. I can't post links on my phone and laptop is screwed, but search the back editions of the local papers and you'll find the cases.

Unfortunately that kind of police work doesn't get the same kind of publicity as some name and shame.

I think we can all agree that the cops have done some work in clamping down on the girls and the clients but what about the gangs behind the girls? These are the real scourge.

Have you walked along Catherine St this week, since the names have been published? Business as usual. Have look at the 1st floor window on one of the buildings, business still in operation.

Arresting a few guys will never ever put this business out of operation, the gangs need to be targeted and convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

phog wrote: »

What they achieved was to make 'men' think twice before they have sex with a prostitute. If there was no punters there would be no pimps and no trafficing. It was right and proper that names were published, the 'men' involved had no way of knowing whether the woman they were having sex with was there of her own free will or was coerced, in any number of different ways.

Well done Gardai, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

+1
    ....Feel so sorry for the innocent wives and kids involved here...

Indeed, who would want a potential rapist for a husband or father!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

NewHillel wrote: »

Everybody is a 'potential' rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Wait...What now? How did you make that leap? They may or may not be fathers, husbands or neither, could even be lonely bachelors looking for affection. But 'potential rapists' just because they paid for sex??!!
    Publishing their names is not in anybody's interest. And for those saying, if they can't do the time etc..They got their convictions and fines. Publishing their names, ages and addresses is not any prescribed legal penalty that I have heard of. Actual child rapists are never named to protect the innocent.
    Their family's will suffer, it is a sick and low move by the papers, and they did not do it for any noble reason. They did it to sell more rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

The punative punishment brigade that published the names and addresses are likely to cause suicide and multiple family distructions.

I would have thought the fact that the men were going paying for sex would have led to the families' destruction???

What they achieved was to make 'men' think twice before they have sex with a prostitute. If there was no punters there would be no pimps and no trafficing. It was right and proper that names were published, the 'men' involved had no way of knowing whether the woman they were having sex with was there of her own free will or was coerced, in any number of different ways.

Well done Gardai, keep up the good work.

Indeed, but I prefer if they kept up the good work in catching the crime lords.

What makes you think anyone that pays for sex is a rapist? Also, I wonder how rapists ever paid for sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

osarusan wrote: »

So everyone is a potential prostitute too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 storysham

If you follow the previous line of logic, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Seems the Ban Gardai have been spending their boot allowance on some Fcuk Me Boots:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

osarusan wrote: »
    storysham wrote: »
    If you follow the previous line of logic, then yes.
    scholar007 wrote: »
    Seems the Ban Gardai have been spending their boot allowance on some Fcuk Me Boots:D

I think this thread has reached its illogical conclusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement