Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a pay-as-you-go phone work in the Carribean?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Not sure where to put this thread so please move to more appropriate place if you need to.

I'm just wondering if my phone will work in Antigua? It's a pay as you go vodafone?

Am thinking probably not, but is there anyway I can get roaming in the Caribbean?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What phone do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

OOOOh cringe. It's a really old Nokia..... I don't even know to be honest. I'd have to go into a phone shop to check for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes it should work, even if its old their shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I was in Jamaica in 2007 with a "Cringe... very old Nokia!" and bought a Denis O'Brien Digicell sim for about €8 or €10 with a fairly small top-up. It worked fine with texts and calls home. Cost per call or text was minimal. Just tell your friends before you go that calls/texts from a strange number will be you. I presume Antigua wouls be very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There are two questions here
    1. will the phone physically work?
    2. does Vodaphone PAYG roaming work?

1. requires you to know the type of phone, Caribbean services work both on US and European bands

2. can simply be found by looking at the Vodafone website, this will quickly show that it doesn't work anywhere in the Caribbean except Florida. You'll need to change to bill or get a local SIM card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement