Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household bills

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi I was thinking of moving to my own place. Aside from rent/mortgage I was wondering if someone could give an idea of the types of bills and average amounts these bills could reach if i moved in with my girlfriend and baby. eg electricity, heating,tv etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

yearly bin charge - around 150
    bin tags - think it's 8 per bin at the moment
    tv licence - around 150
    tv subscription (sky,upc) - 25+ (really depends on how much stuff you want)
    esb - our is 150 but i think its a bit high.
    oil - around 300 per fill, maybe twice a year oct,jan
    insurance maybe
    possibility of property tax if you planning on buying
    internet - 20+
    phone
    repairs - things break and landlord may not cover

Some are only approximates cause it depends (faster net will cost more)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

Thanks very much.

Do you pay the bin charges if you're renting or does the person you rent pay that?
    tv licence yearly? and is that per tv?
    is esb monthly? is that gas and electricity

whoever lives in the house pays for bin charges. - green and brown bins are no extra charge after the yearly charge. black bins have tags on each one but if you use green bin a lot to recycle you might only have 1 black bin a month.

tv licence is yearly and per household. and it's on the tv not the stations you receive. so if don't watch tv but using for a ps3/xbox you still have to pay

esb is 2 monthly for me. gas would be separate. see oil in my list, you get one or the other (or freeze :) )

ha extra clothing it is so for the colder nights ha!!

So how much does it cost to get the basic ntl?
    Do most people have gas heating and how much is this do you know?

just basic tv is around 25, there are higher options to get more choice then sports and movies too.

they have a package at moment, tv+broadband+phone for 60 a month
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/

no idea about gas, we have oil here for heating. most people would have oil or gas though. you could use electric heaters but expensive to run.

extra clothing is good too :)
    during the cold spell at christmas, we had no oil so i just go into bed to stay warm :D

• Advertisement

ha great excuse for being lazy!! What do you reckon shopping would cost. I was thinking 100 a week taking into consideration things i wouldnt usually buy when staying with mother namely washing up stuff, tea bags, toilet rolls etc ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

kellyj77 wrote: »
    Hi I was thinking of moving to my own place. Aside from rent/mortgage I was wondering if someone could give an idea of the types of bills and average amounts these bills could reach if i moved in with my girlfriend and baby. eg electricity, heating,tv etc
    Based on a reasonably modern 3 bed house

Amounts per month
    Electricity (switch to bord gais immediately) 60 (higher in winter / lower in sumer)
    Gas average 60 (higher in winter/lower in summer)
    TV licence 13
    SKY basic 22.50
    Contents insurance - 15
    shopping 2adults + 1 child - 350
    phone not really needed these days
    Internet - mobile broadband suitable for most things 20/month

add in a few extras and I'd estimate approx 600 / month or 150 per week to be comfortable.

Thanks very much. Thats a great breakdown. It is not as bad as I first envisaged even though it is substantial enough

You'll also need to save up for the unexpected bills. eg. Fridge breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement