Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for camera gear ..

• 16-09-2010 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    off to South Africa and Namibia in 2 weeks, will be bringing all my camera gear (€7,000 worth..) so what reliable insurance would you recommend ,
    one that actually will pay out if my stuff is stolen.

I'm hearing so many stories of people paying premiums and then the insurance company worming their way out of paying up...

cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I went to France to shoot a family wedding last week.

Called up my house insurance people and they put my gear on the house insurance. Said it was covered inside or outside and would work out at €30 per year...and that includes a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try contacting camerainsurance.ie and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Called up my house insurance people and they put my gear on the house insurance. Said it was covered inside or outside and would work out at €30 per year...and that includes a laptop.

Thanks, I just called multitrip and they dont cover it ...
    they mentioned home insurance aswell, but I live in Spain and i rent,
    and insurance isn't big over here anyway - they tend to wing their way through life.

I'll check out camerainsurance.ie , othwerwise looks like ill have to wing it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Same as that...mine is covered under the house insurance (so long as I'm not a professional 'tog) and I'll be bringing the lot (~5k worth) to France next week and it's still covered under the home insurance policy.

camerainsurance would do it as im not resident in ireland ? i mean what the fuuck is that ??

Guess ill have to wing it ....

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    camerainsurance would do it as im not resident in ireland ? i mean what the fuuck is that ??

I didn't notice you weren't in Ireland when I posted.

They can only cover those who are resident in Ireland. Nothing strange there.

You won't get any spanish company who can insure an Irish person.

Paulw wrote: »
    I didn't notice you weren't in Ireland when I posted.

They can only cover those who are resident in Ireland. Nothing strange there.

Suppose it makes sense as they have annual policies, what i was confused about was that id be only away for 21 days.

Insurance in Spain is really only used for mandatory stuff - like your car,
    personal belongings is not really done, plus I wouldn't trust the cowboys here.

Indeed you wont !

or else they will just f*ck me ... thats the attitude over here in banks etc ... "Ah he's foreign ... lets f*ck him!"

Anyway anyone know of an international crowd that will insure let me know, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I got insurance with a company in England - cant remember their name but they offer worldwide coverage.... just google photography insurance and you should find someone.

for approx 7K worth of gear ...prob only about €200-€250 ... I paid about €800 for about €35K worth - including renting my gear to other professionals and personal underwater photography.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I got insurance with a company in England - cant remember their name but they offer worldwide coverage.... just google photography insurance and you should find someone.

A number of UK companies are licensed to provide insurance cover in Ireland (which would then cover worldwide travel), but they may not be able to provide cover to someone resident in Spain who then travels elsewhere.

There must be some camera insurance provider in Spain, even for Spanish professional photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Camerainsurance.ie is just using aaduki and charging extra.

Go direct to http://www.aaduki.com/ and you should get a good deal. They where the best when looking around a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

A chap who posts here Balfey72 is in the insurance business and part of his work is around camera insurance. www.heritageinsurance.ie . I think thats it or give him pm

Maybe the last two posters should read the thread.

The OP is in Spain, so no Irish (nor UK) insurer will cover him.

Maybe the last two posters should read the thread.

The OP is in Spain, so no Irish (nor UK) insurer will cover him.

I did read it PaulW, maybe he has an address in Ireland seeing as he is posting on Boards.ie. Maybe they would be good enough to put him in touch with some company who would quote him

The OP has already been in contact with Derek (Balfey72) from camerainsurance.ie (and heritageinsurance.ie) and the OP said that they informed him that they can't cover him.

The best thing the OP can do is try finding an insurer in Spain.

I understand Paul, that Derek cant cover him, )didnt read your original post correctly) Assuming the op has family here I would be inclined to use my brother or sisters address just like people do when purchasing a car accross the border or when looking for cheaper motor insurance. Was'nt being smart:o

Advertisement