Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cape Argus - South Africa

• 16-09-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all

As an Irishman who's just moved to Cape Town I'm using the cape argus as motivator to get me cycling and also as an opportunity to raise some money for some local charities here.

http://www.cycletour.co.za/exploreRoute.aspx

It's a 110k cycle race with ~35,000 participants. The length probably isn't the issue it's the profile! Around and over some of the foothills of table mountain so not a stroll in the park by any means.

While I'm relatively fit I'm not a regular cyclist but it really appeals to me.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a suitable training schedule to get myself and my wife prepared for an event such as this? Is there something similar for cycling to the couch to 5k that's very popular for starting running?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

At root, just get out there and start cycling, upping the distance by around 10% a week to reach close to the distance you are targetting a few weeks before and taper a bit before the event itself; don't do much the week previous. Cycling is weight-supported so the potential for injury (while certainly still there) is not as great as running.

The Argus Tour is a great event, like a marathon I believe, so you can get around it in your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭trasver

Nice one that sounds great, thanks so much for your solid advice...looking forward to getting out there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Trasver,where are you living?

You could join up with some of the groups who will be starting their "World Champs" training soon :D

The route map looks to be back to the original, I.e. via Chapmans Peak.

The Argus is not hard compared to other sprortifs but it's usually the wind and speed that gets people.

Going up Smitswinkel will be the first real test, (if you're in a group, this would have pulled you along nicely up to this point).

You then have Chappies, which is the longest of the hills but again pretty fast. Then a nice long downhill, through Hout Bay and the sting in the tail of Suikerbossie.

Luckily this is where most of the crowds gather to have their braai and encourage the cyclist.

After that, another long downhill into Camps Bay and homeward run.

A LOT of people who never cycle, do this every year just for the challenge. You'll see people in all sorts of costumes, riding unicycles, penny farthings etc.

It's great fun but I would suggest being at least fit enough to do 60-80km on your own , to enjoy the day, especially as the wind picks up later in the day and that's when the majority of the "fun" riders will be on the course.

Cheers for that giannip

I'm living on woodbridge island out in Milnerton, am hoping the start of my training will be trying to commute to work in Belville but with the mental traffic/drivers around I'm not sure if this will be a runner!

Having driven Chapmans peak a few times my legs hurst just thinking about it!

I suppose I could be waterboy for the world champ guys!! :D

Cheers

Simon

trasver wrote: »
    Cheers for that giannip

I'm living on woodbridge island out in Milnerton, am hoping the start of my training will be trying to commute to work in Belville but with the mental traffic/drivers around I'm not sure if this will be a runner!

Having driven Chapmans peak a few times my legs hurst just thinking about it!

I suppose I could be waterboy for the world champ guys!! :D

Cheers

Simon

Hi Trasver

Yep, I know Milnerton well. Some family lives there (I'm from Stellenbosch).

I wouldn't suggest cycling to work if you can get out pre or post work.

Most people would go before work and now that summer is arriving, you should be able to get out at around 5:30 and join in with a group.

Then you now you've done your workout for the day.

I have a friend (he's a cycling coach) who works in Milnerton and I can ask him if he knows of any groups nearby ?

• Advertisement

Cheers giannip

That's be great if you could check with your mate and see what he knows that's around the area (bearing in mind of course that we're complete beginners!!)

Thanks

Simon

trasver wrote: »
    Cheers giannip

That's be great if you could check with your mate and see what he knows that's around the area (bearing in mind of course that we're complete beginners!!)

Thanks

Simon

No hassle. Check this club out

http://www.theoutriders.co.za/AboutUs/tabid/344/Default.aspx

Advertisement