Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon-Limerick Dual Carriageway Exit 4

• 16-09-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭

As this junction is just about still in clare, what are peoples opinion on it?
    I think it is too narrow and the run off too short.
    The amount of near misses I see there from people Swerving off the toll road, back down towards the radisson etc is shocking.
    Theres already several patches of skid marks there, and thats not including the ones left in peoples underpants!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Have no problems with it whatsoever. What the problem is that people do not stop at the roundabout at radissons. I have nearly been hit by cars not obeying road markings.

There is signage that is supposed to go up but someone is blocking the posts (where the signs are to go) with a white truck on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It's well signposted and I've no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I agree with the OP

Its much too tight and the lead up into it to short for the volume of traffic using it. Realistically it should have two lanes going off it.

Probably designed that way to encourage people to use the tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

golden8 wrote: »
    Have no problems with it whatsoever. What the problem is that people do not stop at the roundabout at radissons. I have nearly been hit by cars not obeying road markings.

There is signage that is supposed to go up but someone is blocking the posts (where the signs are to go) with a white truck on purpose.

Who puts a car park directly onto a motorway anyhow?

Not to mention, a hotel car park close to the airport. Foreigners who have no idea what a round about is or how to drive on the left side of the road are going straight from the car park onto a round about on the dual carriage motorway.

Its a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

CptSternn wrote: »

Not to mention, a hotel car park close to the airport. Foreigners who have no idea what a round about is or how to drive on the left side of the road are going straight from the car park onto a round about on the dual carriage motorway.

I was using the hotel as a landmark, perhaps I should have used the townland Cratloemoyle.

The Exit 4 is not a dual carriageway it only has one lane.

England and New Zealand and a few others also drive on the left hand side and also have roundabout. We are not unique in having roundabouts.

I have nearly been hit but a car not yielding to me I was on the roundabout (a yield sign is an international recognised sign). If people obey road signage there would be no crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not to mention, a hotel car park close to the airport

Eh? It's not a motorway. The motorway doesn't begin until the Shannon interchange. And what's wrong with having a hotel close to an airport? Every airport in the world has hotels close by. Anyway, there's at least 4 hotels closer to Shannon airport than the Radisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Well if the guests are driving, they would have actually driven to the hotel (unless ryanair now issues parachutes), so I dont think the road would be a great surprise for them.
    Having worked there before, I would have been much more concerned previously when people had to drive across 2 the lanes of traffic, stop in the middle,then pull out into overtaking lane on the far side.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Seems the Kinnihans (sp?) actually own all that verge, and the truck is there to prevent the rest of the overhead signage being put up. Until some kind of agreement is made I would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Looks like agreement has been made. Those poles for the sign have been moved about 100 metres closer to cratloe away from the b+b.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

I've taken that turn off a good few times and never noticed anything wrong with it. It's well sign-posted beforehand and there's more than enough road to slow down before you get to the roundabout.

Now the Tulla Road junction on the Ennis bypass, there's a disaster! First time I drove onto it, I struggled to keep the car on the road. It never dawned on me that there would be a ninty degree turn off a newly built motorway! Not to mention the ridiculously short slip road, both on and off. How there hasn't been more accidents there is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I've taken that turn off a good few times and never noticed anything wrong with it. It's well sign-posted beforehand and there's more than enough road to slow down before you get to the roundabout.

Now the Tulla Road junction on the Ennis bypass, there's a disaster! First time I drove onto it, I struggled to keep the car on the road. It never dawned on me that there would be a ninty degree turn off a newly built motorway! Not to mention the ridiculously short slip road, both on and off. How there hasn't been more accidents there is beyond me.

Too right. It should probably be closed and modified. There is no way it is of motorway standard. I think the only thing that has prevented any accidents is that it's mostly locals that know the road that use it, as it's not sign posted for Ennis itself. It is a total contradiction to the next exit/entrance (12) which is great for merging into the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Junction 4 is dangerous. Two weeks ago at 8.50 am there was about 20 cars 'parked' on the dual carraigeway waiting to exit. Other cars were coming around the corner and meeting traffic at a dead stop. This is potentially leathal.

It's simple as this. Coming or going to/from Ennis on to the M7 there are two lanes exiting and entering the Clarecastle exit. This has much lower traffic levels that Juntion 4 yet is design properly.

Coming off or on at Junction 4, which has short sight lines, we have a single lane that leads to a roundabout that leads to a dual carraigeway. This is just daft. Perhaps there was a bias toward encouraging people to use the tunnel which is why it is different in design to the Ennis exit.

I have emailed the NRA and Road safety Authority expressing my concerns. I recieved an email from the RSA saying they have nothing to do with road design etc. The NRA has as yet failed to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

the problem is sign-age, they have signs saying get in lane but both lanes are marked as toll, the outer lane should be for toll and the inner one for exiting traffic, an the slip road should have been dual, as after the round-about its dual.

Shannon's exit is dual and Shannon has a far smaller volume of traffic compared to Limerick, personally i think it was a backhanded way to focre traffic onto the toll road

Advertisement