Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics update - Advice needed

Options
  • 16-09-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hello, I recently bought Starcraft 2, can run it fine atm on all low setting, it runs fine and I can get 60FPS np, but I would like to upgrade my graphics so I can run mid-high settings, My specs are as follows

2.GHZ AMD dual core
    2GB RAM
    250W PSU
    nVidia 6600 256MB

I was told an ATI 4650/5670 would be my best choice based on my specs. Any ideas? I'm a little worried about my wattage and was told before it doesn't matter, but want to double check before buying. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

you could just buy a new GPU but it wont perform at its max abilities due to the rest of your pc bottle necking it, if i where you id definitely get a better PSU before anything else maybe around the 600-700W range then save up to buy a new pc, btw whats the motherboard socket for your CPU? my opinion is that you should upgrade the whole pc (stick with AMD for a tight budget)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you have the money for a new PC and monitor, time to upgrade ;)

If not, just stick the cheapest HD5670 in (or a HD5570 if its a slimline PC). They'll probably draw less power than the 6600GT, so PSU won't be an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Thanks. Why do you say HD 5570 for slimline? Which of those is better?

Edit : Is the 4650 any good? Looks cheaper and would suit me fine me thinks, would it be alright?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HD5670 is a little better, HD5570 can fit in those slimline cases where the PCI slots aren't full-height though :)

HD4670 is weaker and HD4650 weaker still. Some HD4650s used GDDR3 memory and were decent enough but almost all of the current models use DDR2, and aren't really much use for 3D gaming. Beware the "HD4630", a Frankenstein card that takes the same GPU as the HD4650 and transplants it onto the same PCB as a HD45*0 - although slimline like most HD5570s it only has a 64-bit memory bus, which combined with the slow DDR2 memory makes them terrible for games.

It kinda depends on your monitor - if the resolution is any higher than 1280*720 I'd avoid anything lower than a HD5570 :o

Advertisement