Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options
  • 30-01-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any update on the progress of this? Last I heard it was due to be open this summer but I've heard nothing about it since...
    I've been getting a bit bored of the Omniplex and Eye!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Is this the proposed cinema on Dominick St? I haven't heard a thing about that in a while.

Or the one that was to be located down by the Docks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

It's meant to be on merchant's road, there is a construction site underway down there at the moment but I'm not sure if that's the proposed cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I thought that too but they're going to be offices. The cinema is to be up the road towards the square but not sure exactly where and not sure if it's been shelved or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

Hello,

Does anyone have contact numbers or e-mail addresses to contact the people that are trying to set it up?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

doesn't seem to be a lot of work getting done down at that site lately.

Plenty of traffic hold up mind, but very little work

McTigs wrote: »
    doesn't seem to be a lot of work getting done down at that site lately.

Plenty of traffic hold up mind, but very little work

that's a shame, i would really like to see it done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There was a piece about it in the Trib last week. Still going ahead but they're behind schedule.

Can the good denizens of Galway City hazard a guess at who was one of the objectors to the plan initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did some googling for you and it seems I get a lot of articles but none with contact details.

biko wrote: »
    Did some googling for you and it seems I get a lot of articles but none with contact details.

yeah, I know, thanks Biko. No contact number anywhere on the internet, which is a bit odd really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Hello,

Does anyone have contact numbers or e-mail addresses to contact the people that are trying to set it up?

Thanks.

Give O'Cuiv or anyone from An Taibhearc a buzz. They would have contact details for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well google yields the name of the group and leader behind the development. A further use of google yields an email and a co. galway telephone number for said leader

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A few useful leads in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055742179

If I fancied a bit more googling, I'm sure I could get phone number. OP, sorry, I'm feeling lazy, so OTY ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I'd imagine the Galway Film Centre would be able to put you in touch with somebody, or perhaps the Galway Film Fleadh as they are involved. Contact details here:

http://galwayfilmcentre.ie/
    http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

Don't see the need for a state funded Arthouse cinema in Galway. EYE Cinema is playing three "arthouse" titles alone this week! How many million is being thrown into this new place anyway?

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    Don't see the need for a state funded Arthouse cinema in Galway. EYE Cinema is playing three "arthouse" titles alone this week! How many million is being thrown into this new place anyway?

okay, you don't see the point but me, and a lot of other people, do. You can't put a price on culture mate, and before you shoot on the idea, you should check up on it. It's not just a cinema, it organises retrospective nights, will become the setting of festivals and different cinematic events that would have snubbed Galway otherwise. As well as that, it will include a small museum, café and shop. It certainly carries more importance than the three arthouse titles of the eye cinema.

anyways, I've tried contacting the Galway Film Centre, so here's hoping. In the meantime thanks to all who helped and/or are helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

okay, you don't see the point but me, and a lot of other people, do. You can't put a price on culture mate, and before you shoot on the idea, you should check up on it. It's not just a cinema, it organises retrospective nights, will become the setting of festivals and different cinematic events that would have snubbed Galway otherwise. As well as that, it will include a small museum, café and shop. It certainly carries more importance than the three arthouse titles of the eye cinema.

anyways, I've tried contacting the Galway Film Centre, so here's hoping. In the meantime thanks to all who helped and/or are helping.

That's fair enough, but isn't there already a museum? Come to think of it, there are a few cafes and shops in Galway already too!

I might eat my words but I reckon that it'll bring nothing new. All that will happen is that all the other "film festivals" will just end up moving from where they are already held around the city. Best to keep the money away from local businesses anyway!

€1.96 million (total cost €4.4 million) of grant money well spent!

Sure what do you want an arthouse cinema for, haven't ye got a shopping centre?

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    That's fair enough, but isn't there already a museum? Come to think of it, there are a few cafes and shops in Galway already too!

I might eat my words but I reckon that it'll bring nothing new. All that will happen is that all the other "film festivals" will just end up moving from where they are already held around the city. Best to keep the money away from local businesses anyway!

€1.96 million (total cost €4.4 million) of grant money well spent!

It seems to me like you're not making a heck of a lot of valid points here. I don't really feel like debating too much but I'm just gonna sum my thoughts up by saying that a city that likes to boast a festival like the Galway Arts Festival that doesn't have an arthouse cinema is pretty hypocritical.

don't worry, an arthouse cinema will not make the economy collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

The money is being spent anyway, so let just hope it ends up creating a widely used space that offers an entertaining alternative. I'd love to see them screening classic movies that will interest everyone. Basically, I hope it doesn't just end up being a space which merely caters for minority interest cinema. That would be a real waste.

There doesn't seem to have been any work done there for the last couple of months though, anyone know what the hold-up is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

would love if one the cinemas here would screen the newly restored Metropolis...

http://entertainment.ie/movie_review/Metropolis/7230.htm

(yikes, FYI it's on in the IFI... http://www.ifi.ie/cinema/dispfilm_07.asp?filmID=6996&Date=17/09/2010&PageID=15)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    would love if one the cinemas here would screen the newly restored Metropolis...

http://entertainment.ie/movie_review/Metropolis/7230.htm

(yikes, FYI it's on in the IFI... http://www.ifi.ie/cinema/dispfilm_07.asp?filmID=6996&Date=17/09/2010&PageID=15)

that sounds great! They actually found the missing scenes!! Now we could get the full experience - what a great film!

Yeah, the IFI is great, but I have only been to it twice in my life (saw Diving Bell and the Butterfly the first time and a Jonas Mekas retrospective the second time). Im hoping that's what they are trying to do with the Galway Arthouse cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

If this new cinema turns out anything like the IFI it'd be fantastic, I'd only worry that there may not be enough of a market in Galway to sustain it.

Considering the Kino in Cork shut down not so long ago and Cork's a much bigger city than Galway it is a possibility.

That said, I'd love to see it succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

ya , there problems with the pileing rigs , there pilling into lagre bolders that are wedge shaped that supported periovs buildings and adjason buildings and when the driver cant bore through to soild , so if the pile is not resting on soild there no good and would take and strurtal weight . it was meant to be a four week pileing project :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So whats the story with the building site for the Art House Cinema opposite the Museum it has come to a complte stop, nothing has happened there for the last few months if they have ran into difficulty why dont they remove the hoarding and open up the lane around the docks to ease traffic. I heard that they have hit rock and unable to continue anyone else hear this ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yep, the rock story is what I heard and it is highly plausible seeing a rock about 200m north of there finished the then owners of the Quays around 1995.

saw some work going on at the site yesterday, couldn't stop to have a gander but hopefully they've sorted out whatever has been holding it up. btw, anyone go to any of the Japanese flicks last week, mad that I missed them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The hoardings blew down in the storm on sunday, did you see plant or just a couple of lads banging ply together?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The hoardings blew down in the storm on sunday, did you see plant or just a couple of lads banging ply together?

ah right, though I thought I saw a concrete mixer backing in to the site where there we a few lads milling around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

jkforde wrote: »
    saw some work going on at the site yesterday, couldn't stop to have a gander but hopefully they've sorted out whatever has been holding it up. btw, anyone go to any of the Japanese flicks last week, mad that I missed them!

yeah saw that too, but it wasn't construction, it was a film crew. I think they where doing a rec of the location.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement