Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I presume Element Pictures (who run the Lighthouse Cinema in Dublin) are responsible for the final Fit Out of the Cinema now?

You would think so, but we're not at that stage yet are we?

Nothing would surprise me with this fiasco if Element Pictures wash their hands of all this and then we're back to square one. Well, back to square minus one, or two.

Realistically how popular is this going to be? I mean, it's a small screen art house cinema, which likely won't be playing mainstream movies & there are two pretty major cinemas within a 20 minute walk on either side. I see this as being a money hole that barely floats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Realistically how popular is this going to be? I mean, it's a small screen art house cinema, which likely won't be playing mainstream movies & there are two pretty major cinemas within a 20 minute walk on either side. I see this as being a money hole that barely floats.

Dublin could only support 2, can't see it being a success here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

westgolf wrote: »
    Construction has restarted so we are back to one-traffic-lane chaos again.
    I drove down there on Sunday afternoon and there was a huge tailback in the left hand lane but the right hand lane was still open so the tailback seemed to have been just the sheer volume of cars wanting to cross Wolfe Tone Bridge. I drove in the right hand lane again this evening, because I needed to get to Middle Street, and I noticed the new hoardings at the cinema but they don't block the lane. Maybe the lane gets closed for trucks to enter and exit the site but it doesn't seem to be a general thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I don't see it succeeding, and if I still lived in Galway I'd love it to succeed but the awful attendances I can recall for anything remotely niche in the Eye or IMC don't exactly give me tons of confidence. Galway and the arts is quite weird in general, there's a batch that seem to think it's a lot more of an artists haven than I've ever seen any evidence of it being.
    If it is built and it does fail, you're prolly gonna have a pretty nice building inside that can be designated to do youth theatre workshops and **** like that along with private events I'm sure.

When I was there, there were several cases of pretty heavily acclaimed films with very poor turnout in the Eye/IMC that wound up being in the THT's film season a few weeks later for a few euro more in a worse environment, where they got the usual pretty strong attendance. Now, there's two ways of looking at that:
    1. Those people assumed the other cinemas wouldn't show anything along those lines so they never check the listings
    2. A big part of the appeal of the THT film season is that it's a routine thing they have to put absolutely no thought into, curated for them and keeps them up to date
    The second option seems much more likely to me (those opera things in the Eye tended to do quite well, like, gotta be a lot of crowd overlapping there), and if that's the core support you're building from, you're probably onto a bit of a loser ...unless you can get a ton of them to pay loads on membership fees they'll never get the value out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could never understand why they did not use the Black Box or Leisureland for their films, hell of a lot cheaper than building this cinema which is a huge cost to the City when so many people are homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It seems the attitude amongst our "betters" is "This is art, pay up"

The trend of negative posts in this thread reads far more like outright contempt towards the arts (as opposed to this particular project) rather than actually giving a ****e about social housing or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The trend of negative posts in this thread reads far more like outright contempt towards the arts (as opposed to this particular project) rather than actually giving a ****e about social housing or whatever
    Oh FFS thats your takeaway from reading this thread? Murrr the begrudgers hate the arts?

Does the fact that there are calls by city councillors for an investigation into this project alongside the fact that Primetime have devoted 2 investigations to how big a screwup it is not tip you off that something is badly wrong? You think there should be zero accountability on any construction project no matter how many millions are p1ssed away (they cant even put a figure on it yet) because its "art"?

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh FFS thats your takeaway from reading this thread? Murrr the begrudgers hate the arts?

Does the fact that there are calls by city councillors for an investigation into this project alongside the fact that Primetime have devoted 2 investigations to how big a screwup it is not tip you off that something is badly wrong? You think there should be zero accountability on any construction project no matter how many millions are p1ssed away (they cant even put a figure on it yet) because its "art"?

Pfft, it's possible to take away more than one thing. read my posts, I think the thing is a total shambles AND I think it'd struggle hugely even if everything was handled well in construction. it's a total embarrassment that there doesn't even seem to be any particular individuals to hold accountable, it's pretty bad that this thread is basically the only source for anything resembling regular updates regarding the project for years

...but there's numerous posters who have repeatedly contributed little more than what amounts to frothing at the mouth rage directed towards the arts.

• Advertisement

Pfft, it's possible to take away more than one thing. read my posts, I think the thing is a total shambles AND I think it'd struggle hugely even if everything was handled well in construction. it's a total embarrassment that there doesn't even seem to be any particular individuals to hold accountable, it's pretty bad that this thread is basically the only source for anything resembling regular updates regarding the project for years

...but there's numerous posters who have repeatedly contributed little more than what amounts to frothing at the mouth rage directed towards the arts.

I do hope those remarks are not intended to stifle criticism of this project. Every taxpayer is entitled to express a POV on this. They are also entitled to write to the Local Government Auditor for the region. The Council will have the address

I have been involved for many (50+) years in community development of various sorts in the West. It is usually very difficult to get state or local authority backing for projects. Many hoops to jump thru, detailed research, projections and business cases to be made.

Rare to have practically entire cost on ratepayer and tax payer. The local contribution here is nominal

Even if project OKd, there are usually tight controls and referrals re scoping, appointments of consultants, architects, project leaders and team.

Work usually tendered and contractor appointed after advertisement in accordance with Public Procurement Directives.

Progress reports to community etc. etc.

Little sign of any of that here,

I haven't heard that the auditor who resigned has been replaced. If the company is still trading without an auditor the directors are at some considerable personal risk.

I am not satisfied that there will be enough paying customers to keep this place going, should it ever open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Any deliverys to the Cinema yet? Any activity noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Popcorn.

Any deliverys to the Cinema yet? Any activity noticed?

Tumbleweed, artistically arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

nuac wrote: »
    Tumbleweed, artistically arranged.
    Nice. Any photos of this NEW installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

"€9 million arthouse cinema finally set to open this year"
    Pushed about an exact opening date, Mr Lowe said it would be “definitely finished this year”.

“We expect it to be open by Christmas. We need to get it open by Christmas. It’s the busiest time of the year.”

http://connachttribune.ie/e9-million-arthouse-cinema-finally-set-open-year-009/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

J o e wrote: »
    Element Pictures ... increased their investment to nearly €900,000 in a bid to complete the fit-out, with their final funding likely to run to nearly €1m.

They will have a 30-year lease to run the facility, which will have a bar and cafe. They will have to repay Solas’ debt of €650,000 to the Western Development Commission over the next 25 years and will start to pay commercial rent to Galway City Council which still owns the site from 2026.
    Presuming that they know what they are doing, Element Pictures seem to have negotiated a pretty good deal for themselves. Having said that, I think Galway City Council was in a very weak position.

If, however, as a lot of posters on this thread seem to believe, it's going to be a disaster and never make money, then 1 million is a lot for a private company to throw down the drain ...

nuac wrote: »
    I do hope those remarks are not intended to stifle criticism of this project.
    Regarding you in particular, my comments were more focused on how tiring your snipes are and how they just devalue the actual substance of your points.
    I'd have to go back over the thread to make sure but I think you've actually been one of the few regular sources for any kind of info on the project and I appreciate that.
    serfboard wrote: »
    Presuming that they know what they are doing, Element Pictures seem to have negotiated a pretty good deal for themselves. Having said that, I think Galway City Council was in a very weak position.

If, however, as a lot of posters on this thread seem to believe, it's going to be a disaster and never make money, then 1 million is a lot for a private company to throw down the drain ...

No clue when that deal was struck but I think GCC hadn't any kind of negotiating power there at all. Far far better to give it for f*ck all to a group that know what they're at than run the risk of someone else paying a bit more and going under within a year. That's the kind of stuff you should try to figure out before getting started really...

Was it always down to be ran by them? A mini-Lighthouse has a much better chance of succeeding in Galway than some deluded notion that Galway can support an IFI type entity of its own. Them operating the two cinemas would do a lot to reduce the costs of obtaining rights to screen things and promotional materials and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

No clue when that deal was struck
    Filmmaker Leila Dolan, who spearheaded the project from the beginning, approached Element Pictures to run the arthouse cinema in a similar vein to its Light House Cinema in Dublin in 2013.

Following concerns over how the project was being managed, the public funders including Galway City Council, the Irish Film Board and the Department of the Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs asked Element Pictures last year to take over management and oversee its completion.
    "asked" is one word. "Begged" is another ...

serfboard wrote: »
    "asked" is one word. "Begged" is another ...

That late on? Begged for sure!

Does that mean the original guys are now completely gone from the project?

• Advertisement

That late on? Begged for sure!

Does that mean the original guys are now completely gone from the project?

Were there any original investors?

Most of the funds seem to be coming from the public purse.

I suppose the story in the paper represents some sort of positive news or at least a greater sense of clarity about where the project is now.

That said, "Before Christmas" is a promise that carries a big feeling of deja-vu with it.

Sure if it's not open by Christmas 2017, there's always Christmas 2018 to aim for... ;-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"Solas Galway Picture Palace Company Limited" (sic) was placed into liquidation following an EGM on July 3rd (source, page 938). Not sure what bearing this has on the rest of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Solas no longer behind this... Bought by a well known company based in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Who bought it?

Element Pictures. The same gang that run The Lighthouse cinema in Dublin.

Arghus wrote: »

Given that the Lighthouse Cinema is still open, while competing against other larger franchise cinemas close by in Dublin, then this is very good news.

Hopefully they can carry that success across. It's utterly pointless still, of course, but it's good that it's being run by people that know what they're doing.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Solas no longer behind this... Bought by a well known company based in Dublin...
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Who bought it?
    Arghus wrote: »

Where'd you get this from?

According to this, "Ownership of the building will rest with Galway City Council. Element Pictures will lease the building and operate the cinema upon completion.".
    https://fora.ie/picture-palace-galway-liquidator-3488624-Jul2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's utterly pointless still, of course,

Why is it utterly pointless?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement