Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

major projects in Galway in past 10 years-
    Eyre Square- massive overcost and delay.
    Art-house cinema......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

dinneenp wrote: »
    major projects in Galway in past 10 years-
    Eyre Square- massive overcost and delay.
    Art-house cinema......
    Seamus Quirke Road ...

Why is it utterly pointless?

Because it is. There's two cinemas at least a 20 minute walk, with one of them having an art house screen. And a theatre that doubles as a cinema during festivals. For a city the size of Galway, having that many places makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Isn't there supposed to be an unopened cinema in bailey point in salthill too? Not sure if it's true

Isn't there supposed to be an unopened cinema in bailey point in salthill too? Not sure if it's true

Supposedly a 10 screen cinema in there, that's what the got who bought the building claims. Ridiculous that the commercial side of it is still closed up, a cinema down there makes way more sense than one being built at the minute.

• Advertisement

Yup, from what I've heard, there's a practically completed cinema down there. But it got caught up in the recession and all the sh*te that happened to the construction of that building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Haven't a lot of the underground floors of Bailey Point been flooded for years? Not sure if that includes the proposed cinema though...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Yup, from what I've heard, there's a practically completed cinema down there. But it got caught up in the recession and all the sh*te that happened to the construction of that building.

There was a thread here before talking about it and a truck was seen out the side a year or two ago packing up all the cinema seats so I am guessing whoever acquired ownership gutted it to make what they could off of it, probably an empty auditorium now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Given that the Lighthouse Cinema is still open, while competing against other larger franchise cinemas close by in Dublin, then this is very good news.

Hopefully they can carry that success across. It's utterly pointless still, of course, but it's good that it's being run by people that know what they're doing.

The Lighthouse is extremely successful and the management company do a great job of running it. If they have been tasked with running this project then I'd have a lot more faith in it's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The Lighthouse is extremely successful and the management company do a great job of running it. If they have been tasked with running this project then I'd have a lot more faith in it's success.

Yes, I'd have faith they'd do a good job running the place. But, jesus christ, is it ever going to be fookin finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Lighthouse has a catchment of a million+ and I've often had screens pretty much to myself in there, conventional blockbusters keep them afloat, also their main screen is one of the best in Dublin, nicest seats aswell, its most peoples first or second choice for the big releases and thats where they make their bread and butter. Do we know what the interior of the one in Galway even looks like or the layout? I seriously doubt its going to compete with Screens 1 in the IMC or Screen 8 in the Eye looking at it on Streetview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thargor wrote: »
    The Lighthouse has a catchment of a million+ and I've often had screens pretty much to myself in there, conventional blockbusters keep them afloat, also their main screen is one of the best in Dublin, nicest seats aswell, its most peoples first or second choice for the big releases and thats where they make their bread and butter. Do we know what the interior of the one in Galway even looks like or the layout? I seriously doubt its going to compete with Screens 1 in the IMC or Screen 8 in the Eye looking at it on Streetview.

Thargor's report of small audiences in the Dublin Lighthouse and its dependence on common or garden blockbusters on other screens supported by hoi polloi is ominous.

Anybody know what market research was done in Galway before embarking on this expenditure?

There is a major difference between the two catchment areas, both in size of population and spending power

nuac wrote: »
    Thargor's report of small audiences in the Dublin Lighthouse and its dependence on common or garden blockbusters on other screens supported by hoi polloi is ominous.

Anybody know what market research was done in Galway before embarking on this expenditure?

There is a major difference between the two catchment areas, both in size of population and spending power

It's Galway. Do you really think anyone did any form of research into this?

It's Galway. Do you really think anyone did any form of research into this?

Even in Galway there should be some regard for public money.

There are many successful business people in Galway and area. No indication that many of them were involved here

I wonder will the "Business Case" for that be published.?

I use quotation as I have read some great fiction and unbridled optimism in various proposals under the heading "Business case". In many cases the authors have had little or no relevant business experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I wonder will the "Business Case" for that be published.?

The Connacht Tribune have referred to it in the past...
    The business plan for the Picture Palace addresses the issue of demand by citing a 14-year-old Arts Council report under a section entitled “Proven Need for Cultural Cinema in Galway”.

The financial projections contained in the business plan are based on a minimum of 63 film screenings each week and minimum weekly attendances of 1,722 people. This is based on 25% seat occupancy, although the plan states that a higher rate of admissions would be anticipated in practice.

In total, a minimum of 87,822 tickets would need to be sold during a full year in order to ensure the cinema’s viability, which would also rely on annual profits of up to €75,000 from its café and €40,000 from advertising on screens and programmes.

A 25% occupancy rate across 63 screenings every week always sounded ridiculously optimistic.

But presumably Element Pictures have run their own numbers... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Last thing i heard it sounded like it was becoming an indoor swimming pool.
    Has it dried out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

The owners of the proposed cinema are now seeking to fill positions:

'Element Pictures are delighted to announce PÁLÁS (formerly Picture Palace) is now nearing completion and will open to the public in early 2018'. https://palas.ie/comingsoon/

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

'Element Pictures are delighted to announce PÃLÃS (formerly Picture Palace) is now nearing completion and will open to the public in early 2018'.

Great news... Im probably the only person to be excited about this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

smurf492 wrote: »
    Great news... Im probably the only person to be excited about this

No you're not.

No you're not.

Just a lot of negative comments surrounding it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I think the negativity is understandable, given the project's years in development hell. However, now it's finally seeing the light of day I'm looking forward to checking it out.

All I saw was enquiry and fair comment about the need, delay, and cost.

That is reasonable in the case of any project that is almost wholly tax-payer funded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

That is reasonable in the case of any project that is almost wholly tax-payer funded.

Yup our council have a lot to answer for

nuac wrote:

nuac wrote:

Absolutely our council made a balls of it and as usual we will hear no more about what actually happened that led the project to lose so much money. I personally think that because of galway being the unesco city of film, that's the only way this project is actually going to be completed

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

I wonder who will perform the opening ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's totally reasonable.

I'm still looking forward to it opening.

And I still think it's mad that the only way we could get a cinema in the city centre was for it to be council funded. (No the IMC doesn't count as city-centre - it's not a place I'm want to walk home from at 11pm.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's totally reasonable.

I'm still looking forward to it opening.

And I still think it's mad that the only way we could get a cinema in the city centre was for it to be council funded. (No the IMC doesn't count as city-centre - it's not a place I'm want to walk home from at 11pm.)

The benighted Badlands of the Headford Road...LOL.

Delighted to hear that there's life in the place, hopefully it will actually open this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Finally...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=352461265233482&id=312817409197868

Opening date announcement! Palas will open this Friday Feb 23rd with evening and night screenings of LADY BIRD, THE SHAPE OF WATER & I, TONYA!

biko wrote: »
    Finally...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=352461265233482&id=312817409197868

Opening date announcement! Palas will open this Friday Feb 23rd with evening and night screenings of LADY BIRD, THE SHAPE OF WATER & I, TONYA!

What a lackstruck opening, three films that are on in both the Eye and the Omniplex, tens of millions well spent.

• Advertisement

Open at last, but how many millions and how many years over budget.?

And who are responsible?
    ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement