Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

biko wrote: »
    Finally...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=352461265233482&id=312817409197868

Opening date announcement! Palas will open this Friday Feb 23rd with evening and night screenings of LADY BIRD, THE SHAPE OF WATER & I, TONYA!

Why is the so-called arthouse cinema opening with three Oscar nominees which are on in all the regular cinemas. I was hoping for a chance to see something different. But at least it’s finally open I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any pics of the interior? What are the screens like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I still refuse to believe that this place is ever going to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Why is the so-called arthouse cinema opening with three Oscar nominees which are on in all the regular cinemas. I was hoping for a chance to see something different. But at least it’s finally open I suppose.

Not an arthouse cinema anymore since element pictures took over the running of it for a supposedly thirty year lease. At least it is open and if the lighthouse cinema in Dublin is anything to go by it will be a great addition to the city

I can see this failing miserably, after costing north of 10 million it's already in a hole and things like the lack of car parking will affect it in the long run. I hope it does well but if it's only going to be showing the same films that are on in the Omniplex and the Eye then I can't see it being open too long. As a building it really is an eyesore, passing it the last day and it looks horrendous, totally out of place and odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I can see this failing miserably, after costing north of 10 million it's already in a hole and things like the lack of car parking will affect it in the long run. I hope it does well but if it's only going to be showing the same films that are on in the Omniplex and the Eye then I can't see it being open too long. As a building it really is an eyesore, passing it the last day and it looks horrendous, totally out of place and odd.

Parking? Really? Town is awash with car parks, if you can't walk three or four minutes to it then I don't see you getting on with the stairs inside.

Parking? Really? Town is awash with car parks, if you can't walk three or four minutes to it then I don't see you getting on with the stairs inside.

Sure there's plenty around but imagine the hassle of trying to find a place to park on a Friday afternoon. Also, there is the question of why would you pay for parking to see a film in the Palas when the other two cinemas offer free parking? An extra €6 or so fee to see a 2-hour film isn't very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Well I'm happy about it being open. Am I the only one? Can see myself popping down to this faster than heading out to the IMC or Eye.

Any word on ticket prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not yet but keep an eye on www.palas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

xckjoo wrote: »
    Well I'm happy about it being open. Am I the only one? Can see myself popping down to this faster than heading out to the IMC or Eye.
    I agree, I'm delighted to see it open and I hope it's a big success. With lots of places to eat nearby the early-bird-dinner/movie/pint combo is all in nice walking distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Will this cinema show 'arty' movies, commercial movies or both? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

FitzShane wrote:
    Will this cinema show 'arty' movies, commercial movies or both? Does anyone know?

Judging by their business model in Dublin itll be a mix of new, arthouse films as well as opera and special event films and theatre performances with seasons of classic films shown in 35mm.

FitzShane wrote: »

They will show the odd smaller film but expect to see the same films playing in there that you will find in the Omniplex and Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Website is up - €11 for an adult ticket, not the cheapest.

And for all you foreign-cinema fans, there is one, count 'em, one screenings of the Spanish film 'A Fantastic Woman'.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

€11 even on a weeknight? Yeah, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Doesnt "Arthouse" mean them sorta films TG4 used to show around 11pm on a friday night?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Before 5pm €9.50 afterwards €11.

Says there is some sort of membership (hopefully dead cheap or free) which gives a euro off and waives booking fees.

I find it a little strange they don't have promotional pricing to get it off the ground but lets hope they know what they're doing.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Website is up - €11 for an adult ticket, not the cheapest.

And for all you foreign-cinema fans, there is one, count 'em, one screenings of the Spanish film 'A Fantastic Woman'.

In fairness maybe we should wait a little longer than its first week of opening before we start crapping on what it has to offer.

I find it a little strange they don't have promotional pricing to get it off the ground but lets hope they know what they're doing.

Considering that they don't have to pay rent for something like 25 years they may not need to make concessions. It's a shame its launching in such a nonevent manner, after almost a decade and over ten million investment it's a little disappointing. Hopefully it does well and they do get interesting films in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Not sure about this one. I don't think it will do too well if it is competing directly with with the Omni or Eye. If it goes down the Arthouse direction then I don't think Galway is big enough to support it (Dublin has only 2-3 arthouse cinemas with a population of over a million). Maybe a mix will be successful, I hope it is anyway. Prices look strong enough too, surely some mid-week discounts would help get bums on seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

If they go down a similar route as the stella cinema in Dublin it could do well. Balance of good films and food..early days so wait and see..

They dont open during the day?

Thargor wrote: »
    They dont open during the day?

They do have showings during the day, just not on opening night.

Arghus wrote: »
    They do have showings during the day, just not on opening night.
    The schedule up to the 1st of March on their website doesn't show anything during the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

So is this called Palas or Palace? According to their social media accounts and website it's Palas but Palace is what it says down the side of the building?!

Thargor wrote: »
    The schedule up to the 1st of March on their website doesn't show anything during the day...

Bit odd that because they have showings listed for early in the day on the Saturday and Sunday, but, you're right: just evening showings during the rest of the week. Seems bizarre, but maybe it's just one of those things in the early days, I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

So, is there a Boojum & Film deal ready yet or do I need to wait for the neighbours to get to know each other a bit better? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

eight
    ****ing
    million
    EIGHT.

eight
    ****ing
    million
    EIGHT.

I think that the exact figure is closer to 10 million, the fact that so much public money was poured into it and then the council allowed a private company to come in and manage it and then offered them 25 years rent free. This entire thing is a nightmare of incompetence, the people behind it should be ashamed of themselves, the fact that it cinema building is valued at only 3.9 million yet cost 10 says so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think that the exact figure is closer to 10 million, the fact that so much public money was poured into it and then the council allowed a private company to come in and manage it and then offered them 25 years rent free. This entire thing is a nightmare of incompetence, the people behind it should be ashamed of themselves, the fact that it cinema building is valued at only 3.9 million yet cost 10 says so much.
    The new OPCO (EP Picture Palace Ltd) have taken on a large chunk of the residual debt and are then committed to "pay[ing] commercial rent to the Council". It's not exactly buying Manhattan for 60 Guilders.

I fully agree that everyone who was a director of the company that mismanaged the development over the years should be dealt with severely and never get within an asses roar of public money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement