Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Robbo wrote: »
    I fully agree that everyone who was a director of the company that mismanaged the development over the years should be dealt with severely and never get within an asses roar of public money.

Would the same apply to the lenders as well?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Would the same apply to the lenders as well?
    Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

The money people, those whom looked at the proposals and gave the funding for it. If it was private money there would be already consequences, public money?

The new OPCO (EP Picture Palace Ltd) have taken on a large chunk of the residual debt and are then committed to "pay[ing] commercial rent to the Council". It's not exactly buying Manhattan for 60 Guilders.

I fully agree that everyone who was a director of the company that mismanaged the development over the years should be dealt with severely and never get within an asses roar of public money.

Most businesses have to pay both rent and rates, so saying they are paying rates is great but they're still being gifted a building for two and a half decades. The loan they are repaying is €650,000 which is considerably less than the rent that would be paid on the building over 25 years.

This entire thing has been a debacle, everyone involved in it should be held accountable for this colossal waste of money but this is Ireland, most of them will walk into other jobs like that girl Tracey who the Prime Time raised serious concerns over. She went from the debacle that was the Picture Palace to a cushy well paying job in the Galway 2020 bid and then walked into a job as a Project Manager in The EU LAB. If I recall correctly it was pointed out during the special that she was involved in it using both her real name and a nickname and was drawing a wage she should not have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Galway has a bad habit of wasting public monies. As a regular visitor to the city I am glad to see this new cinema finally opening but the whole development has been a fiasco.

Hopefully lessons have been learned in advance of Galway2020, but I wouldn't count on it:

http://connachttribune.ie/city-cllrs-hide-long-grass-galway-2020-ceo-hannah/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The money people, those whom looked at the proposals and gave the funding for it. If it was private money there would be already consequences, public money?
    When are there ever consequences for these people?
    Most businesses have to pay both rent and rates, so saying they are paying rates is great but they're still being gifted a building for two and a half decades. The loan they are repaying is €650,000 which is considerably less than the rent that would be paid on the building over 25 years.
    It's not just the Western Development Commission loan (€650,000) that's secured now. Charges (with a lower ranking) are also secured in favour of the Ministry and the Film Board. I appreciate there's been a lot of bad reporting on this but this is material from a public register.

Whatever is paid in rent over the term of the lease will be considerably more than the previous trading entity was ever going to pay as they had a peppercorn rent on the property.

It's not just the Western Development Commission loan (€650,000) that's secured now. Charges (with a lower ranking) are also secured in favour of the Ministry and the Film Board. I appreciate there's been a lot of bad reporting on this but this is material from a public register.

Whatever is paid in rent over the term of the lease will be considerably more than the previous trading entity was ever going to pay as they had a peppercorn rent on the property.

As far as I am aware the only loan that they are repaying is the WDC one. Do you have a link to show that they are paying back any of the additional 6 or so million that came out of the public purse?

They still are getting a prime city centre location rent free for 25 years, most businesses in town would kill for that. That there was no tendering process for it is shameful, but hey this is Galway and we've seen how other related entities in the city have been full of the worst kind of nepotism.

Sure all you can do is name them:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/galways-controversial-84m-world-class-cinema-to-open-this-week-36623092.html
    "
    the public funders including Galway City Council, the Irish Film Board and the Department of the Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs
    "
    and maybe the reason for NO tender?
    "
    Element Pictures, which owns Dublin's Light House Cinema, took over management and completion and signed a 30-year lease agreement with Galway City Council.
    As an agreement the company said it would not pay rent for the first 25 years but it would invest more than €1m into the project.
    "

As far as I am aware the only loan that they are repaying is the WDC one. Do you have a link to show that they are paying back any of the additional 6 or so million that came out of the public purse?

They still are getting a prime city centre location rent free for 25 years, most businesses in town would kill for that. That there was no tendering process for it is shameful, but hey this is Galway and we've seen how other related entities in the city have been full of the worst kind of nepotism.
    In the tradition of internet discourse, I've reduced complex corporate finance concerns to the level of "pics or it didn't happen". Charges generally rank down the way in order of creation so Charge 1 outranks Charge 2 and so on.

If you want the exact specifics of the charges, you have everything you need to get the CRO and Land Registry filings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I feel ashamed and embarrassed by this whole project pity the people responsible don’t. It should begin with looking at our elected councillors

• Advertisement

I think that the exact figure is closer to 10 million, the fact that so much public money was poured into it and then the council allowed a private company to come in and manage it and then offered them 25 years rent free.
    It is on the smaller scale though, big perhaps for City Council as they dont have much money to spend, but compared to other public projects nationally it is small potatoes.

I think that the exact figure is closer to 10 million, the fact that so much public money was poured into it and then the council allowed a private company to come in and manage it and then offered them 25 years rent free. This entire thing is a nightmare of incompetence, the people behind it should be ashamed of themselves, the fact that it cinema building is valued at only 3.9 million yet cost 10 says so much.

It should be noted that the 25 years of no rent was in return for them providing 1 million euro in additional funding to complete the building. Fair trade to be honest

It should be noted that the 25 years of no rent was in return for them providing 1 million euro in additional funding to complete the building. Fair trade to be honest

Rent for that building over 25 years would be far more than a million euro. This entire thing has been a joke from the get go, they never even put it out to tender to other companies.

Rent for that building over 25 years would be far more than a million euro.

True, but an unfinished building serves what purpose?

Their investment allowed it to be completed, finally.

Whatever about the mis-management of the initial project and build, the finished article deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I recall when the eye opened and started showing operas, etc, people said it wouldn't last. Now they are looking to add 3 more screens.

The Palas will take time to get off the ground, but I've no doubt it will add to the city's cultural amenities as a whole.

As for the begrudgers, meh, Joe Duffy is that way, talk to him.

True, but an unfinished building serves what purpose?

True but why not let others tender for it. There is no reason that it should it have been opened up to other proposals, this entire thing is typical of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rent for that building over 25 years would be far more than a million euro. This entire thing has been a joke from the get go, they never even put it out to tender to other companies.

FWIW, in todays terms thats saying it would be more than €3333 per month. I wonder what use a non cinema operator would have made of the building that would generate that sort of cash.

FWIW, in todays terms thats saying it would be more than €3333 per month. I wonder what use a non cinema operator would have made of the building that would generate that sort of cash.

The issue isn't that they got the cinema but rather it was given to them, the project was not put out to tender. Saying, well it would be empty if they hadn't taken it is all well and good but we don't know that, there may have been other groups interested in operating it.

The issue isn't that they got the cinema but rather it was given to them, the project was not put out to tender. Saying, well it would be empty if they hadn't taken it is all well and good but we don't know that, there may have been other groups interested in operating it.

You'll be wanting your local councillor to answer that. You won't find an answer here. Maybe there was a tender maybe there wasn't. Has little to do with what's there now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Despite the ridiculous cost and delays it's built and open which is good.
    €11 does seem steep for an evening ticket. But I'll still give the place a go, with the food/cafe it might be an enjoyable experience.

There's no photos of the interior on their site or social media, maybe they're keeping it a surprise.

Patrick.

You'll be wanting your local councillor to answer that. You won't find an answer here. Maybe there was a tender maybe there wasn't. Has little to do with what's there now

From the Prime Time Special it appeared that Solas was behind the move to get Element in, it was pretty much a case of this is what we have done live with it, like when they signed a contract with a construction company without the correct permissions from those bailing them out. That those involved in Solas were able to walk into well paying cushy jobs is everything that is wrong with this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Prime time link- here

Will watch it, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dinneenp wrote: »
    There's no photos of the interior on their site or social media, maybe they're keeping it a surprise.

Must be.

Today's Advertiser says that the media got a preview on Wednesday, but the only pic with the article is of the outside.

All the more incentive to visit on opening day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Had given up hope on this project coming to pass, but now it has I'm excited to visit it Saturday. Now to work out which film I'll go see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

I really hope they do unlimited season tickets or some form of membership.

Also hope that they have invested some of the public monies into point flood defenses!

I'm going to be asking some questions about the projectors and sound system when I visit soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

I really hope they do unlimited season tickets or some form of membership.

Also hope that they have invested some of the public monies into point flood defenses!

I'm going to be asking some questions about the projectors and sound system when I visit soon.

Thet definitely can play 35mm films. Said so on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i have being told they are using 4K Sony projectors some very comfy seats

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Looking forward to this myself...the prices are a bit on the high side but I have found that the galactic screen in the IMC is now ten euro and the likelihood of people continuously making noise and generally being a##holes has become way to frequent. I'll gladly pay the extra money to enjoy the movie i have come to seein a nice environment which the Palace certainly looks to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Anyone going tonight or is it sold out for all screenings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

inisboffin wrote: »
    Anyone going tonight or is it sold out for all screenings?

Managed to buy last two tickets for ITonya on Wednesday, I think all sold out pretty quick for opening night. Mind you, driving past it early this morning the skips and chaos and seats stacked high inside makes me think it'll be down to the wire!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement