Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Maybe 'cos its a damn hard place to take a nice photo of.

Nice? Any oul REAL photo will do. Will look better than the photomontage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Herself went and liked it.
    Got a cheese plate and a meat plate. At 10 yoyo each, quite pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

I haven't been to any movies in it yet but I love it as a building having now seen it by night and by day. An incredible level of craft and detail has gone into the concrete forms and the joinery. It's an exciting, mazelike series of spaces and the shafts of coloured light coming in by day are gorgeous. By night I love the glow of the stained glass windows and the festive Neon livening up this corner of the town. Moving around it reminds me of the delight in exploring an old castle or Tower house and it's clear the architect was inspired by these types of building which are so much a part of Galway's history.

I'm one of the few wierdoes who love concrete and brutalist architecture so I know it's definitely not going to be most peoples cup of tea. However (leaving aside the shambolic management of the whole process and build and the massive inflation in the budget which was a disgrace) I think it's a great addition to Galway and a building which I'll look forward to visiting and wandering around again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

citycentre wrote: »
    I haven't been to any movies in it yet but I love it as a building having now seen it by night and by day. An incredible level of craft and detail has gone into the concrete forms and the joinery. It's an exciting, mazelike series of spaces and the shafts of coloured light coming in by day are gorgeous. By night I love the glow of the stained glass windows and the festive Neon livening up this corner of the town. Moving around it reminds me of the delight in exploring an old castle or Tower house and it's clear the architect was inspired by these types of building which are so much a part of Galway's history.

I'm one of the few wierdoes who love concrete and brutalist architecture so I know it's definitely not going to be most peoples cup of tea. However (leaving aside the shambolic management of the whole process and build and the massive inflation in the budget which was a disgrace) I think it's a great addition to Galway and a building which I'll look forward to visiting and wandering around again and again.

I think it looks really eye-catching at night time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

smurf492 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea about when the membership will be available?

Details are now available: https://palas.ie/your-visit/membership

TL;DR: "Legend" is €49/year and gives 4 free tickets per year, €1 discount on tickets, Volta.ie rentals, as well as discounts in the bar and restaurant and free online booking. There is also Legend Event Cinema, Student and Senior all with varying amounts of discounts and free tickets. "+ 1" memberships available, which have double the free ticket allowance.

A loyalty scheme is also up and running, with points for transactions and free booking.

• Advertisement

Looking at the +1 myself but not sure about the wording, it doens't seem clear if it is unlimted volta rentals or what.

Become a LEGEND +1 member today and get 8 free tickets a year, €1 discount on cinema tickets for you and a guest. Free premium Volta.ie film rentals. Discounted cafe and bar deals, special members only screenings & events, free online booking and much more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Galway cinema recorded 'no income' despite public donations

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0524/965686-solas-galway-picture-palace/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

D Trent wrote: »
    Galway cinema recorded 'no income' despite public donations

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0524/965686-solas-galway-picture-palace/

mindboggling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Christ almighty. I don't know if it's incompetence or corruption but there's far too much of this kind of shady business handling in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On Prime Time again tonight on RTE1 tv

• Advertisement

Can it really be called an art house cinema any more given that from tomorrow 2 of the 3 screens in there are showing Solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Can it really be called an art house cinema any more given that from tomorrow 2 of the 3 screens in there are showing Solo.

It sounds better than "we've just built a commercial cinema vastly over time and budget and given it away for free" :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's remarkable what you can (possibly) get away with when "art" is invoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It's remarkable what you can (possibly) get away with when "art" is invoked.

Your a philistine Harry, a philistine! You have no appreciation of artistic endeavour :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not on Prime Time tonight they mentioned it today but it must be the last time they done a programme on it

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Yeah, I thought that too. On the same note, they're showing Ocean's 8 next week. Seems to overlap a lot with the Eye etc with the occasional film not shown in other cinemas.

Yeah, I thought that too. On the same note, they're showing Ocean's 8 next week. Seems to overlap a lot with the Eye etc with the occasional film not shown in other cinemas.

They have Hereditary this week and were championing it as some art house film when it's on in every screen in the country. I get the need to have commercial films in but giving two screens over yo a Disney blockbuster is not the way to do it.

Was in screen 1 recently, better laid out than number 3 but the first five or six rows looked like hell to sit in. Whoever laid the place out needs to be shot. The ceiling lights sure look nice but when off there are vibrant red lights shining from them, there's also a bright blur light at the bottom right of the screen and to the left of the screen the green exit sign is vibrant. It's an utter mess and shows how little care went into the layout.

One bug complaint I have with their classic screenings and seasons is the quality of the source. For The Assassins of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford ( my favourite film of all time) it was clearly being projected from a blu-ray or possibly DVD as the qualify was poor and at one stage it skipped a little bit, only a few seconds mind but the chapter number appeared on screen.

We actually went for food one afternoon in the restaurant but left when we saw the menu. It's pretentious on a whole other level and the fact that there was only one person eating there on a Friday afternoon says a lot. The museum cafe across the road was jammed with a wait for tables. Few people I know ate there and wouldn't go back citing the food and wait as staff chatted as an issue.

I'm waiting for more dirt to be found by Dara Bradley, he's a bee in his bonnet about it and rightly so. He's also exposed some underhand dealings in the Film Fleadh and how positions are not being advertised even though those running it claim otherwise. He had an article recently about the festival programmer being handed a job without any recruitment process even though there were posts from the old programmer saying it was advertised. The amount of backroom and underhanded dealings in the film world in galway is great entertainment.

Pálás Cinema up for global architecture award

Pálás Cinema, designed by architect Tom de Paor, and just opened last week, has been shortlisted in two categories in the prestigious International World Architecture Festival Awards (WAN ) which will take place in Amsterdam this November.

More at link below

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/101538/pls-cinema-up-for-global-architecture-award

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Irish architecture is sadly in an age where a slag of 60's concrete crossed with a bit of 30's art deco qualifies as something special compared to the rest of the pre-fab $hite we're building.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Irish architecture is sadly in an age where a slag of 60's concrete crossed with a bit of 30's art deco qualifies as something special compared to the rest of the pre-fab $hite we're building.

And the negativity continues... Unless you are an expert in architecture then get over whatever council issues everyone keeps on about and instead be happy that we have a great new cinema for the film fan and that others are taking note...

• Advertisement

This thread is supposed to be about the palas cinema but is nothing but an excuse to knock the place while people aren't actually discussing anything about the the events that the cinema is showing... Considering how sensitive the shops/business forum has gotten about opinions maybe a back on topic should be in order for this thread

smurf492 wrote:
    This thread is supposed to be about the palas cinema but is nothing but an excuse to knock the place while people aren't actually discussing anything about the the events that the cinema is showing... Considering how sensitive the shops/business forum has gotten about opinions maybe a back on topic should be in order for this thread

There have been plenty of posts discussing what they are doing and it amounts to taking the public for a ride. 10 million of tax payers money was pumped into what amounts to the corned of a football stadium. The Palas may appeal to architects but as a cinema it is simply not fit for purpose. Who knowing Irish weather designs a cinema where the box office is outside, it's an absolutely ridiculous idea and the rest of the place isn't up to much. Stairs that go nowhere, poorly laid out screens where the seats are well below the bottom of the screen and far too close to it for comfort. The numerous exits in every screen meaning that the screen is constantly bathe in the sickly green of the exit sign.

In all fairness its the only cinema thay takes note of the seat structure by having every second one off centre. Better than the imc with their screen 1 rubbish of overpricing for nothing extra. Ya the palas moght be alot of concrete I'll forgo that for a silent screening where a%%hole aren't present. Plus they are showing some classic films which fair enough aren't for everyone but an example i went to labyrinth and to see so many young kids enjoying the movie was great

Darko I appreciate your post but the exit signs fair enough but it will take that any day as opposed to a bunch of idiots... Im just a film fan that no longer looks at the lighthouse in envy!!!

Plus in relation to the outside aspect of the cinema... Many of us queued for hours to see the movies we wanted to see outside the original Palace or the town hall. Im sure all the marshmallow people who are complaining can stand at the box office for a few minutes... Absolute boll%%a to be complaining about standing outside when you really are not... More of a crack in the overhead

I have had no issues in the IMC or Eye in years and in fact the worst screening I have been at in about 5 years was in the Palas where two groups refused to shut up.

IMC and Eye both show classics, in fact the IMC had a Gibhli season not too long ago and routinely get in older films to screen. Neither cinema got 10 million in tax payers money either whereas the Palas is a lump of concrete paid for by us so that a private company can clean up.

Also IMC are cheaper than the Palas and every screen in there is much better laid out than the Palas.

I don't know what you mean by a bunch of idiots, I assume you're having a sly dig at the audiences in other cinemas in town and this implication that the Palas attracts a better class of people which is crap. The actual presentation is superior in the Eye and most IMC screens as at least the screens aren't lit from a half dozen light sources and the seats aren't so near the screen that you can actually enjoy a film. Screen 3 in the Palas is the worst laid out cinema I have ever been in.

It's not about standing at a box office but that in the middle of winter when it is pouring down you'll be forced to do so outside in the elements. Maybe you've not been to the Palas yet but when I went recently I spent almost 10 minutes queuing in the rain and got soaked. It may be a crack but if you are behind people then you are outside and even at the box office you are standing under the open sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

smurf492 wrote: »
    And the negativity continues... Unless you are an expert in architecture then get over whatever council issues everyone keeps on about and instead be happy that we have a great new cinema for the film fan and that others are taking note...

Oh, I have to be an expert to have an opinion now? My statement has nothing to do with the council / financial issues (look in this very thread for proof). However that doesn't change the fact I'm perfectly entitled to an opinion.

It's ugly.

When I said bunch of idiots I meant the youngsters who intentionally make noise to ruin the experience for others...the palas is very much a reminder of how are local council can throw away money and not take any responsibility for their actions. I reckon if not for Element pictures taking it over and trying to make it work we would still be looking at an idle concrete tower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're making it painfully obvious you have some sort of investment in the place. I wouldn't mind defending what the place can offer, but when it comes to a point where you're defending standing out in the elements of the western sea board to get a ticket....

No-one has any gripe with Element Pictures. They didn't design the place, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an ugly build, horribly laid out, and ultimately a monumental waste of public money. All these factors do have an impact on how it will be perceived going forward, or how successful it will be.

• Advertisement

You're making it painfully obvious you have some sort of investment in the place. I wouldn't mind defending what the place can offer, but when it comes to a point where you're defending standing out in the elements of the western sea board to get a ticket....

I have absolutely no involvement in the running of the palas... Just annoyed at the never ending negativity of this thread. And I'm expressing an opinion which I feel I have a right to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement