Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New arthouse cinema (Pálás)

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

Don't forget that one <snip, no sources>

The levels of ineptness and corruption in galway is so brazen. Watching McNeillis looking like a sad Harry Potter tell us how great it's going to be and how important for culture it is just shows what a joke he and the majority of them are. Remember when McNellis spent years getting a world famous mural taken down simply because it was on a competitors business and attracting attention.

Much like the Palas this is going to cost us a fortune and so far the only beneficiaries seems to be those taking a ridiculous wage from the company. Isn't the business development manager they hired and then said no thanks to now sueing them.

Loved Keith's "you can't have an opinion till you meet the board one on one" one of the biggest problems is that the board have to literally be forced to meet with the council and then refuse to answer questions. I've heard from a number of people who had projects in the 20/20 bid that they have to scale back and that the funding they were promised simply isn't there and is unlikely to be.

Noticed that the Palas have installed an out door bar, I'm sure that have all the relevant permissions to do so. Know people down there were complaining about the continued noise and how this bar has only made it worse and the Palas management have supposedly ignored all complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The current President of Ireland can tell you all about that, when he was a government minister in the various FG/Lab coalitions it was not for the state it was for Galway - huge amounts of money were pushed into the Capital of the West at the expense of other urban centres and that has continued to a lesser or greater degree ever since.

I had wondered how he had accumulated so much loyalty that he can stroll into a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Don't forget that one <snip, no sources>

Have you evidence of this? Wouldn't mind reading related articles

Have you evidence of this? Wouldn't mind reading related articles

Not naming names but they were discussed on the Prime Time on the Palas and after leaving there they went on to work for 20/20 for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

tototoe wrote: »
    How Galway gets so much public money under the guise of culture is astonishing...and zero accountability. Someone is doing well here.

The current President of Ireland can tell you all about that, when he was a government minister in the various FG/Lab coalitions it was not for the state it was for Galway - huge amounts of money were pushed into the Capital of the West at the expense of other urban centres and that has continued to a lesser or greater degree ever since.
    Ya imagine a politician doing things such as getting funding for projects in their area,shocking stuff. Unheard of really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

On a different note to the negative wave of this forum, great to see a brilliant start to the film fleadh and great to see many of the films and events being given a chance by the private company that is element pictures who now run the palas... Oh and just in case I am not in any way affiliated with either the fleadh or element pictures... Just a film fan

smurf492 wrote:
    On a different note to the negative wave of this forum, great to see a brilliant start to the film fleadh and great to see many of the films and events being given a chance by the private company that is element pictures who now run the palas... Oh and just in case I am not in any way affiliated with either the fleadh or element pictures... Just a film fan

Great as it is let's not think that Element are doing any of this for free. They are not financing any aspect of the Fleadh and for events and screenings are receiving a fee. Also let's not forget that many if these events are causing issues for local residents who's repeated complaints about noise and drinking on the street have been ignored.

smurf492 wrote:

Great as it is let's not think that Element are doing any of this for free. They are not financing any aspect of the Fleadh and for events and screenings are receiving a fee. Also let's not forget that many if these events are causing issues for local residents who's repeated complaints about noise and drinking on the street have been ignored.
    Have you gone to the council about it like I suggested when you raised this here a couple of weeks ago?

Have you gone to the council about it like I suggested when you raised this here a couple of weeks ago?

I don't live near there so no idea if they have but from past experience I imagine they would be wasting their time.

Not naming names but they were discussed on the Prime Time on the Palas and after leaving there they went on to work for 20/20 for some time.

So like its not something that has been officially stated somewhere?

• Advertisement

So like its not something that has been officially stated somewhere?

Is the Prime Time documentary not official, all the information is out there. I'm just not naming any names as I was recently banned for alluding to an individual and their possibly illegal behavior. It was made clear to me that boards is not a place that welcomes anyone discussing stuff like this in depth.

Is the Prime Time documentary not official, all the information is out there. I'm just not naming any names as I was recently banned for alluding to an individual and their possibly illegal behavior. It was made clear to me that boards is not a place that welcomes anyone discussing stuff like this in depth.

Ah yea that's fine no panic, just what you said suggests someone <snip> and there's no evidence of that in the prime time report.

I don't live near there so no idea if they have but from past experience I imagine they would be wasting their time.
    In my experience they'd be wise to contact but maybe they'll just do fcuk all and expect a change.

Darko, you insinuated previously that I must be involved with the palas and element pictures in some way due to my support of the palas... Are you involved with prime time?? You constantly allude to that show and while there is no doubt that wrong doing by certain individuals was a factor in the palas standing still for many years, you seem to have an unwavering grudge against the place... If you know so much about the wrong doings than stop saying it here and go through official channels and enlighten us all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Big hideous concrete tomb. An architects wet dream
    I wonder if we'll ever get any nice buildings ever again that might be listed/protected monuments in future, why have architects lost all sense of what makes buildings beautiful when just three or so generations ago they built beautiful cities and buildings

The stella cinema facade was reconstructed in classical style and is beautiful,of course modern architects spit on that as 'pastiche' unprogressive and unimaginative, apparently, when its better than any of the ****e they produce

It is an investigation carried out by Rte who are a media outlet. If this is the case then we should take everything we read in the paper's as gospel too

Ah yea that's fine no panic, just what you said suggests someone was on the take twice and there's no evidence of that in the prime time report.

They weren't on the take twice but were using a nickname and their real name so as to be on the board and then take a salary.

smurf492 wrote:
    Darko, you insinuated previously that I must be involved with the palas and element pictures in some way due to my support of the palas... Are you involved with prime time?? You constantly allude to that show and while there is no doubt that wrong doing by certain individuals was a factor in the palas standing still for many years, you seem to have an unwavering grudge against the place... If you know so much about the wrong doings than stop saying it here and go through official channels and enlighten us all

I have no grudge, I allude to Prime Time given that they and Dara Bradley were the only ones who actually looked into the disgraceful and possibly illegal activities of those behind the Palas. The alluding to PT this evening is on relation to the 20/20 debacle of which many of those behind the Palas are involved.

You seem to think that anyone not in awe of Element and the Palas has some grudge, we don't. We just don't like to see the public purse raped for the benefit of a private company whose only interest is in making a such money as possible. The Palas, given the public investment should in some way be benefiting the people of Galeay but the only ones it benefits are the owners of Element Pictures. Their blatant disregard for the local area, the ignoring of numerous complaints from people living there and the simple fact that within 3 months of opening they'd already betrayed what they stood for by programming blockbusters on two thirds of the screens says it all.

Its great that you can overlook the loss of 9 million of public money but for me I'd have much preferred if that money had went to actual local arts groups and not simply to benefit a private company. Imagine if the government paid 9 million to build a premises for say Microsoft and then told them to pay a couple of euro a year in rent would you be so supportive of them?

smurf492 wrote:
    It is an investigation carried out by Rte who are a media outlet. If this is the case then we should take everything we read in the paper's as gospel too

Are you saying that Prime Time lied about this individual and made stuff up? If that is the case then why did this individual not sue or even come out and try to clear their name? Maybe its just me, but if RTE dragged my name though the mud and accused me of breaking g the law and I was innocent, well I'd take them for every penny I could and demand an apology.

They showed solo and oceans eight. Hardly throwing out blockbusters left right and centre... I'm into the place because they are making an effort with documentaries, reissues and film seasons that pique my interest... I like the option of being able to check out many movies which I didn't see in the cinema on first release and the added bonus of doing so in a quiet environment. My point overall is that no doubt it has been a debacle and like everything in this country those responsible won't be held accountable but now that it is up and running, let's enjoy it. Bad architecture or whatever, the films are my main interest

smurf492 wrote:
    They showed solo and oceans eight. Hardly throwing out blockbusters left right and centre... I'm into the place because they are making an effort with documentaries, reissues and film seasons that pique my interest... I like the option of being able to check out many movies which I didn't see in the cinema on first release and the added bonus of doing so in a quiet environment. My point overall is that no doubt it has been a debacle and like everything in this country those responsible won't be held accountable but now that it is up and running, let's enjoy it. Bad architecture or whatever, the films are my main interest

When you show a major blockbuster on 66% of your screens and then claim to be an arthouse cinema it's hard to take you seriously.

So far from my experience in there it's lacking, the screens are poor and the place seems poorly run. It's a shame as a properly run art house cinema that actually strove to do something different could be a great thing for a city.
    They seem to think that one off showings make it an event, The Deer Hunter was there's for a single night while the IFI had it for a week at least. The Palas instead had Ocean's 8 run all week, great that they had it at all but hard to get out to a 3 hour film midweek. Any of the screenings I have been at have been almost empty.

If you take a look at screen 3, I won't go see any film in there unless I can get a seat in the back row and eben then would go to the Eye or IMC over it given that it is not fit for purpose. Saying let's just enjoy it is all well and good but when you betray you own beliefs within 3 months its clear to see what this is. I wonder would people be okay with the council giving a couple of million to the Eye go build their new screens

• Advertisement

Is this the “Darko F**ks Over the Palas Show?” Start a political pressure group & call it for what it is FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Whatever about the architecture, the way this project was put together, implemented and financed could be the basis of a "How not to do it" book.

Any funds from private or business investors? All taxpayers' and rate-payers' money?

Did I hurt your feelings, I guess that you are either one of the people profiting from this scam on the tax payer or one of the shills that get wheeled out whenever over 9 million of taxpayers money is used to benefit a private company.

I take it that you will be championing 20/20 like so many others when so far its being an utter cluster fcuk and proof that no one in Galway has learnt anything from the Palas. I assume you are dependent on a social welfare payment given that you have no issue with tax payers money being squandered, those of us who are being squeezed for every last cent don't like to see 9 million of the public purse to solely benefit a private business when patients spend days on trollies in UHG.

Also, maybe learn to read. None of my posts are attacks, are we not allowed to criticise a business venture though I see that cry babies like yourself seem offended. How come you've not been able to offer up any defence of the various issues that have been raised in relation to the Palas? Its funny how so many of those championing it are unable to tell us why it's something worthy of our adoration. So far the best has been that it shows old films and documentaries, are we all missing some amazing aspect that people like you have seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think a film about palas could be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Is this the “Darko F**ks Over the Palas Show?” Start a political pressure group & call it for what it is FFS.

No criticism allowed of a private venture which seems awfully similar to a conspiracy to defraud the taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread has gone from "will it happen?" to "it has happened!" to "it's great" to it's ****" to "it's fraud".

As we have moved from movie chat to territory that is having a go at named people at best, and defamation at worst, this can jeopardise boards and I am closing this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement