Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are discounts generally available on new bikes

• 16-09-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I've been looking around for a new bike for a while. Today I think I found the one I want. It costs 1200 in a Dublin bike shop. I've already used the bike to work scheme so can't use it again

My question is, how much room for manouverve is there generally with bike shops on the list price. Is it the norm to get some sort of discount if you ask for one, or are most bike shops reluctant to budge on price. It would just be useful no know what i'm up against before I hammer them to bring the price down. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Cycle Superstore in Tallaght, and Build-a-Bike seem to have a default 10% discount. Build-a-Bike seemed to be open to a small bit of extra haggling when I went to buy a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

CSS run the BtW scheme for my employer and offer a discount off standard of 12.5%, so I'd guess there is at least that room. That said, their market is fairly bouyant at the moment, so I dont know if they are likely to be more generous than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

10% seems to be quite standard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

i got 10% off build a bike, and he offered me 15-20% off any extra gear, so id say you could get 10-12% off a bike over a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

10% is standard. I got a new bike last week in Cyclesuperstore and the 10% was a straightaway relief as it allowed me money on a few other items. other than that it's up to you! i went to Wheelworx and was looking at a Felt AR4, cost price €2,900.00, when i asked the guy what he could do for me he said nothing and started talking about the dollar etc. i went straight over to Cyclesuperstore and bought a Pinarello FP3 with an immediate €300 off. You just have to shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kevvhayes

bought from css on the btw scheme and got i think 12.5% off the bike and they gave me pedals, shoes and a mud guard for €100 to bring the price up to the €1000 allowed so fairly happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

is there any shops that are well known for NOT giving discounts? or is it considered normal that 10% discount can be gotten with a bit of haggling?

how do people go about haggling? i'm considering buying a new road bike and would like to know how to go about the haggling part of the buying process...

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

is there any shops that are well known for NOT giving discounts? or is it considered normal that 10% discount can be gotten with a bit of haggling?

how do people go about haggling? i'm considering buying a new road bike and would like to know how to go about the haggling part of the buying process...

thanks

I don't know about haggling for smaller items in bike shops but there's certainly some leeway when buying a bike, if I see a bike I like I simply ask the salesperson 'whats the best price you can give me' or ' is that price set in stone', bike shops are generally happy to haggle if they can get a definite sale..

Advertisement