Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB 'Unlimited Usage'

• 16-09-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, recently switched to Eircom NGB and was shocked to see a Bill for exceeding the download limit of 10GB.

I thought to myself "fair enough maybe we snuck over, updating an laptop to SP3 or something, probably about 1GB extra", but no, it was 11GB over the limit!

After ringing Eircom it turns out that streaming video and/or sports counts as downloading and not internet usage?

Is this standard fare or is it a case of misleading advertising?

I'm assuming that downloading is to copy or transfer (data or a program) into the memory of one's own computer from another computer and that a youtube video is temporary data, am I insane?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Every time you access anything on the internet, data needs to be downloaded.

It's that simple unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Every time you access anything on the internet, data needs to be downloaded.

It's that simple unfortunately.

This

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why does your thread title refer to 'Unlimited Usage', have you such a package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

they charge you 2 yoyos per gig over your limit up to a maximun of 48 witch is the cost of the unlimited package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    I'm assuming that downloading is to copy or transfer (data or a program) into the memory of one's own computer from another computer and that a youtube video is temporary data, am I insane?
    Watching youtube copies the data representing the video file into the memory of your machine, the Flash player software uses that data to render the video. So, you are downloading the video itself, just that it is generally thrown away when you go to another page. The red bar you see loading at the bottom of videos on youtube is basically a download progress bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

slave1 wrote: »
    Why does your thread title refer to 'Unlimited Usage', have you such a package?

Yes that was their selling point.

Thanks for clearing that up guys, time to upgrade methinks.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Upgrade by removing yourself from Eircom (in my opinion) :)

Advertisement