Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geology

• 16-09-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey.
    Anyone studying geology out there. Im in fifth year and I want to become a geologist. So Im trying to get some feedback from some REAL geologist. How do you find the course? Is it tough, and where is the best place to study geology. One of the girls said TCD is the worst, and Id just like to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 biscuits123

Anyone able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Geology is hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 biscuits123

Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Took it in first and second year found it straightforward enough if you were decent at science, really enjoyed it. No idea about other colleges as wanted to go to UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

The geology department in UCC are awesome, they really make you feel loved :o

I've done some geology in 1st and second year and its fairly straight forward, some seriously boring modules and some really interesting ones.

I'm not too sure but I think the only way to do geology in UCC is through Environmental and Earth System sciences, which gives you many degree options so your bound to find something your interested in ..... Zoology ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 RSpookee

Geology is really popular in UCC, and the staff are really nice, so even if you find it difficult, there'll be plenty of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Did Geology in Trinity. Now doing a phd here. Pretty good course. Staff are quite helpful and more approachable than other departments. UCD seem to have a good setup too.

Course not too hard if you're willing to put the work in (in 3rd and 4th-1st and 2nd year is pretty easy).

Its good cos has a bit of all the sciences in it...bit of chem, biology and some physics

Decent job opportunites compared to other sciences. I worked for an oil company every summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Geology in UCC is a popular course. You can find more info. on their website:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/bees/

Meanwhile, some videos from UCC Geology, the first is an overview of what it's like to study Geology at UCC (from an international perspective):

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My first ever degree was Geology at UCC. I enjoyed it alot, the coursework was excellent and the staff were fantastic with a wide variety of fieldtrips. However the downside, I myself did not get a job out of Geology and had to convert to an IT course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Crinoid

Trinity Geology course is really interesting as it has alot of fossil study etc. If your into Jurassic park etc this course will intellectually satisfy you.

If you want to go into mining or oil industry though stay well away from this course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Crinoid wrote: »
    Trinity Geology course is really interesting as it has alot of fossil study etc. If your into Jurassic park etc this course will intellectually satisfy you.

If you want to go into mining or oil industry though stay well away from this course.

Essentially, all geology courses in Ireland are similar. If you are into Jurassic Park, you will rapidly learn how inaccurate it is, regardless of where you study. I did a degree in UCC and masters in TCD. Very little between them in terms of course content as far as I could tell. Not surprising since there are a lot of personal connections between the two.

If you want to go into mining or oil and get a basic degree in Ireland, then do a masters. If you want an economically focused degree, go to the UK.

There is plenty work, you just need to find what area your interests lie in and pursue it. Chances of you becoming a palaeontologist at the end of it is unlikely, moving into mining, engineering, petroleum, etc is highly likely.

The main issue with the Irish geology courses are that they are entirely staffed by people who have no practical experience of non-academic work so they are entirely academically focused leaving you at a disadvantage.

There are literally hundreds of geologists out there without any member of the student body being aware of it. I remember being on a train and hearing a student brag about being the only geologist from Kerry, while I mentally counted the five that I know, just through work.

Seriously, if I had my time back, teaching, pharmacy or law would be my first choices. :( Easier money, better holidays, no cold, wet weather, frozen fingers, sunburn and hours spent analysing data.

Advertisement