Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game On Exhibition coming to Dublin

Options
  • 16-09-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/

Just noticed as I was going past the Ambassador today. Multi-player Saturn Bomberman anyone? Looks like being the same show that was in London though, so should definately be worth €10. Just hope they have a couple of Virtual Boys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Any idea how long its running for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You will only get an hour for your tenner which is the bit I found a little bit off putting.
    But it looks intresting, something my brats certainly will be intrested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

An hour? Damn, that's a massive downer on the whole thing. I could spend hours playing Saturn Bomberman alone. They could well be shooting themselves in the foot with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have they got 10 player saturn bomberman? It's the only saturn game I've yet to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Charging by the hour?

No thanks, especially not at those prices.

I'll just put on a playlist of retrospectives and play some emulators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

How are they going to measure how long people are in there for?

Do you pay €10 and once 61minutes passes the metal gear solid intruder music comes on until you are found out?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

How are they going to measure how long people are in there for?

Do you pay €10 and once 61minutes passes the metal gear solid intruder music comes on until you are found out?:)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Had to put in a few exclamations. You try clicking on a link that small in the am. :D)

€10 for an hour? F*ck that.

http://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3
    Ticket Prices

General Admission
    Family Ticket
    Up to 1 hour stay
    €10
    €30
    Up to 2 hour stay
    €16
    €45
    Up to 3 hour stay
    €20
    €55
    Each subsequent hour
    €4 per hour
    €10 per hour

Family ticket: 2 adults & 2 children (under 16) or 1 adult & 3 children (under 16).

Under 14's must be accompanied by an adult.
    CLICK HERE TO BUY YOUR TICKETS FROM TICKETMASTER.IE

It's totally insane that they don't have an all-day price! Total money whoremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's totally insane that they don't have an all-day price! Total money whoremongering.

Probably just to keep the flow of people going as it is the Ambassador. Which I think is the new haven for mediocre events. I'm sure this will be included in that.

It'll end up being one room. With a pac-man arcade machine in the centre. Alone. Tumbleweed. 8bit sound echoing...........bleep...........bloop............bleep.............bloop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lame. That has put me off now, I'd be driving there and would want to stay a few hours at least, like with any expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I went to this when I was in Australia two years ago. I think it was in Melbourne. Was very good.

BUT I only paid $15/$20 AU. And that was for the whole day. Could stay as long as i wanted. That seems like a right old rip off to me. Went in and played a load of old classics. They even had some of them linked up. 4 cabinets linked for 4 player versus. Was with the girlfriend at the time. She enjoyed it, but wasn't really able to appreciate it like I did. Still have the tickets in my wallet.

You were able to even play pacman displayed/projected onto a wall. HUGE!:pac:

Heading to this, this evening, got a preview pass, bringing the brats who are never shy to say if something is lame or crap. Will take photos and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It may seem expensive but I welcome that to ensure it isn't just a replica of Quirky's, ie thousands of skanger kids running around the place as their parents go to the pub.

Ticket prices here

http://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3
    (General - Family)
    Up to 1 hour stay €10 - €30
    Up to 2 hour stay €16 - €45
    Up to 3 hour stay €20 - €55

Each subsequent hour €4 per hour - €10 per hour

With those prices you could spend 6 hours in the place for €32 which doesn't seem that bad, I've spend €32 on a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have they got 10 player saturn bomberman? It's the only saturn game I've yet to experience.

Must dig out my saturn... Forgot how good bomberman was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just been to this guys, friend had a press pass. Have to say I enjoyed it immensely and would have stayed longer (really wanted to leave a high score on gradius V and R-type). I'll be back to it on saturday. Only two minor complaints. Saturn bomberman was only 6 player and I would have liked more older games but that one is presonal preference. Also would have loved if the computer space machines at the start were working.

It was great finally seeing a PC engine and experiencing how awful Street Fighter 1 is, seeing how big the lynx is (portable my arse), getting to play Tempest 2000 on the real hardware, playing DDR with the hot attendent :P , the ridculous glory of the steel battalion controller, and the Vectrex which is unfortunately kind of hidden because it's a fantastic and unique machine, etc.

However the best is the free play arcade machines. Donkey Kong, Galaxian, Galaga, sit down Star Wars Cabinet, space invaders cabinet cocktail cabinet and you must really check out the asteroids cabinet because you may never see a vector display again and it's really impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

they have a steel battalion controller eh?
    my mate has one but is missing some screws......... hmmmmmmmmm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just been to this guys, friend had a press pass. Have to say I enjoyed it immensely and would have stayed longer (really wanted to leave a high score on gradius V and R-type). I'll be back to it on saturday. Only two minor complaints. Saturn bomberman was only 6 player and I would have liked more older games but that one is presonal preference. Also would have loved if the computer space machines at the start were working.

It was great finally seeing a PC engine and experiencing how awful Street Fighter 1 is, seeing how big the lynx is (portable my arse), getting to play Tempest 2000 on the real hardware, playing DDR with the hot attendent :P , the ridculous glory of the steel battalion controller, and the Vectrex which is unfortunately kind of hidden because it's a fantastic and unique machine, etc.

However the best is the free play arcade machines. Donkey Kong, Galaxian, Galaga, sit down Star Wars Cabinet, space invaders cabinet cocktail cabinet and you must really check out the asteroids cabinet because you may never see a vector display again and it's really impressive.

Sounds pretty cool. But would your opinion differ if you had to pay by the hour?

Well I'm going back on saturday. I spent 2 and an half hours there but could have happily spent 3 or more. It's expensive but I'dsay for the 16-20 euros you'd spend on the 2-3 hour session it's not bad really. There's family tickets as well, I'd say it's great for kids. A lot of these machines you'd probably never get to see again and it's different playing them on native hardware rather than emulators especially the vector games. I'd say 3 hours is enough and 20 euros isn't that bad. I've spent 20 euros on far worse shows. This one I came out of wanting to bring my friends there and play the arcade games some more.

It might be a bit on the pricey side and I'd much prefer an all day ticket because I couldstay there all day reading all the info and playing the games but it's not like we get something like this in ireland very often.

Oh I forgot to mention the Board they have that the developers of GTA3 used to put up their ideas for the game. It's fascinating for anyone interested in how games are made and it's such a revolutionary title as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the price still reeks of the "ah sure, gamers in ireland have tons of money so there should be no problem ripping them off" line which i have heard numerous times from many 'figureheads' over here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm, tempted to pop into this now.

20 euro for three hours is expensive, but I'm guessing there's no pumping of credits once you're actually in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hmm, tempted to pop into this now.

20 euro for three hours is expensive, but I'm guessing there's no pumping of credits once you're actually in there?

You have to bring a bag of 10p coins as well....:rolleyes:

Everything is set to freeplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shame to see the Vectrex isn't playable. Were there any Virtual Boys?

The Vectrex was playable. It's just kind in an out of the way spot between the big pong machine and the Mame and cocktail cabinets. No playable virtualboys unfortunately. I've played one myself recently and now want one. It's so much better in real life since the 3D effect really is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Ohh sweet jeebus Georgia Salpa dressed as Lara Croft

Im there....

My brats came away wanting to know would it be open every weekend, cos they's go.
    It is pricey but, I got to play the 1979 atari asteroids in it's cabinet, it was the very first game I ever played when I was 7 and the kids got to sit and blow up the death star in the atari 1983 star wars game.

We played pong and space invaders on the big screen, I go tto play donkey Kong and centipede with the roller ball, saw a guy in his 50s in a suit and tie giving it socks playing R Type, with a small smile on his face as he remembered every level.

They had a fastest lap going with grand trismo cabinet and a score board like top gear!

Man the first street fighter or fighter street sucked with only two buttons, here was the NeoGeo cabinet with the 6 games, the kids tought the chicken version of frogger looked crap but they were hooked for 20 mins trying to get it to cross the road and there was combat.

There was a vast array of hand helds, from speak and spell to the DSI to the mini arcade cabinets. There were Vr goggles and the intendo power fist on display.

It was very easy to to get sucked into the games, to be zoned, playing from memory
    I got sucked into asteroids and R Type like no game released in the last 2 years has managed to do.

They had a halo 4 player set up as well, it was mostly hogged by 10 year old boys.

The thing was while playing in a line of games I looked up and there were people there playing ranging from men in their 50s, women in their 40s, lads in thier 20s, a 10 year old girl and a 6 year old boy stand on his tippey toes.

Yeah for sheer, I never thought I would ever get to play that ever, or ever get to play it again it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Does this span all generations? I would have grown up in the 16bit era, so if I was to head up to this, I'd be looking for classics from those days. The likes of Terminator 2 Arcade, Killer Instinct, Metal Slug, and Mortal Kombat. Are any of those games present?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Is this open on a monday day?
    I'm off work and might go if its a little quiet after 12pm.

I dont think €20 for 3hrs is a rip off but a €10'r is a bit of a rip. Is there any merchandise on sale there and if so what type is for sale?

• Advertisement

I didn't see any Merch

http://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=4
    Opening Hours
    Monday to Saturday 11.00am to 11.00pm
    Sunday 11.00am to 9.00pm

They have a listing of all the games on their web site,

http://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=9
    Section 1 - Early Games
    · Pong Projection
    · Space Invaders – Cocktail Table
    · Space Invaders Part II - Cocktail Table
    · MAME Projection (Amidar, Bag Man, BurgerTime, Carnival, Dig Dug, Disco No. 1, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Frogger, Galaga, Galaxian, Jr Pac Man, King and Balloon, Lady Bug, Locomotion, Mappy, Ms. Pac-Man, Moon Cresta, Moon Patrol, Mr Do's Castle, Mr. Do, Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, Pengo, Phoenix, Qix, Road Fighter, Space Invaders, Space Panic, Super Pac-Man, Uniwars, Zippy Race)

Upright Arcade Machines
    · Space Invaders
    · Asteroids
    · Xevious
    · Donkey Kong
    · Berzerk
    · Dig Dug
    · Ms Pac Man
    · Galaga
    · Galaxian
    · Missile Command
    · Sonic Wings
    · Kiki Kai Kai
    · Virtua Fighter
    · Neo Geo MVS (Metal Slug X, Samurai Shodown 2 (sic), Viewpoint, Windjammers)
    · Puckman
    · Centipede

Advertisement