Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game On Exhibition coming to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cheers thaedydal, just wondering if i'd need to bring a load of cash with me at the end of the show lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CombatCow wrote: »
    Ohh sweet jeebus Georgia Salpa dressed as Lara Croft

Im there....
    Whos the posers in the 2nd last row and where can I find them to slap them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Man the first street fighter or fighter street sucked with only two buttons

I think I saw you at it, you were playing fighting street and telling me how it sucked especially with 2 buttons and my friend was saying you only need 2 buttons for street fighter, the ignorant fool :)

As for the arcades, it's only really early stuff other than the neo geo multi system but there's plenty of other systems with stuff like Soul Calibur and Tekken and R-type.

Nobody really wants to play Mortal Kombat anyway, it's awful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Nobody really wants to play Mortal Kombat anyway, it's awful :P

Blasphemy!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I went to this in London about 5 years ago. It ruuuuuled. I got there late so it was closed after a couple of hours. Really looking forward to going for a bit longer.

The price is harsh but it's quite an experience. I love my oldschool arcade games and this is pretty much the only way I ever get to play them if I'm not going to spend 10's of thousands of euro on collecting cabinets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Anyone know what happened to the giant Sonic they were putting up on Monday?

Sonic.jpg

Also, does anyone know how it compares to the showings in other cities? I found Bodies in the Ambassador a big disappointment compared to when I went in New York because the Ambassador was a much smaller venue and they had to leave a lot of cool stuff out. I'm wondering if the same goes here.

elekid wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the giant Sonic they were putting up on Monday?

Sonic.jpg

Did he run away? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can't WAIT to get to this. :D

Anyone know how long it's on for? Some of the stuff in the Ambassador goes on for months and months...

Edit: Nevermind, I just went on Ticketmaster and they have tickets for sale in January. YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Am I right in saying that this thing is running for a few months here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Do they have a full-size Gauntlet machine?

Please say yes.

P.

• Advertisement

Do you have to get ticketmaster tickets or can you pay on entry does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

For those that have been their, if someone just pays €10 for the hour, how do they stop you from staying after your hours up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can pay at the door and they stamp your hand with a little Mario character
    they have attendants in there who check your tickets to see if you are still within your time limit
    i was just in there this evening and thought it was a great set up but very quiet, about 20 people in total
    loved seeing the Computer Space game even if it wasn't turned on
    and i finally got to see a ZX81, man they were tiny :)
    i only spent an hour there as i was on my own so quickly tried to get in as many as i could but if you are going with friends i would advise getting the 2-3 hour tickets

Just been to this guys, friend had a press pass. Have to say I enjoyed it immensely and would have stayed longer ........the best is the free play arcade machines. Donkey Kong, Galaxian, Galaga, sit down Star Wars Cabinet, space invaders cabinet cocktail cabinet and you must really check out the asteroids cabinet because you may never see a vector display again and it's really impressive.

The full sit in star wars cab? haven't seen one of those in years. Man that brings me back....."STAY ON TARGET"

That's it, i'm going, that's all there is to it. This thing sounds like it's every arcade i spent my youth in and every console i owned throughout the 90's all rolled up into one. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah that's the one. It's impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Playing that was one of my earliest gaming memories, we were on holidays and it arrived in to the mini arcade on site. It was great to get to play it again and to see my kids get as much of a kick out of it decades later.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Skerries wrote: »
    i only spent an hour there as i was on my own

Forever-alone.jpg

I just went in today (On my own). I got in about half an hour after it opened so there weren't any queues for anything. There was some ridiculously complicated game where you had 2 joysticks and 2 consoles full of buttons and 3 foot pedals. It's well worth going to. The a button on the gamecube was broken, so I couldn't play Sonic mega collection. Also the PS3 with Uncharted 2 had a gammy L1 button so you couldn't aim (didn't really care because I have the game at home. They had a playstation with a big sign all about FF VII and how popular it was and all, but the game in the console was actually the ported version of FF VI.
    I spent most of the time playing lady bug and dig dug

Do you have to get ticketmaster tickets or can you pay on entry does anyone know?

I'm wondering this myself, as I'm planning on hitting Dublin this friday. Any idea if you can pay at the door, folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

You pay at the door and they give you a little stamp on your hand. Mine was pacman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Christ, this brings back memories, I went to it years ago when it was on in London in the Barbican, fantastic exhibition they had there. Must have a look-see this one.

• Advertisement

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    You pay at the door and they give you a little stamp on your hand. Mine was pacman

Nice one. Cheers, dude.

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Forever-alone.jpg

There was some ridiculously complicated game where you had 2 joysticks and 2 consoles full of buttons and 3 foot pedals.

That's Steel Battalion. Came out in 2002. I'd never seen it in real life before either. ****s class. Looks like an expensive piece of music equipment like a Native Instruments Maschine with the buttons lighting up when you hit them. Seriously solid arcade type sturdyness.

I tried all 40+ buttons for about 10 minutes but I couldn't work out how to get off the mission briefing screen and actually start playing. :D

Great show. It could have used a few more classic arcade machines like Robotron or Defender but that's about my only complaint. And the paying by the hour. It's hard to get lost in anything when you know you're against the clock.

That's Steel Battalion. Came out in 2002. I'd never seen it in real life before either. ****s class. Looks like an expensive piece of music equipment like a Native Instruments Maschine with the buttons lighting up when you hit them. Seriously solid arcade type sturdyness.

I tried all 40+ buttons for about 10 minutes but I couldn't work out how to get off the mission briefing screen and actually start playing. :D

Great show. It could have used a few more classic arcade machines like Robotron or Defender but that's about my only complaint. And the paying by the hour. It's hard to get lost in anything when you know you're against the clock.
    I was stuck there too and Google isnt helping me!!
    Im definitely going back to figure it out :pac:

I'd played it before so was no other to me and stayed to help some one else out :) It's hard to get used to if don't know what you are doing. Theysaid they'd have some one there to help out with it but there was nobody. Here's how some tips for people that want to try it.

1 Make sure the gear stick is set to neutral.
    2. When you first get into the game you have to engage the cockpit. The button will be glowing and on your right hand side.
    3. Next is to boot up the computer. Again the button will glow and be on the left hand side.
    4. you'll get a heads up display of five bars, you need to flick the switches on the right, all five of them. If nothing happens flick them the opposite way.
    5. Next you have to hit the ignition button. It's on the right hand side and will be glowing. However you have to hit it at the right time, when the 5 moving bars are past the solid green line, you'll know when you see if.
    6. If all goes well you should be ready to go. Shift into first gear and hit accelerate.
    7. the left stick controls your turning, the right stick where you are aiming. try to centre the crosshair of your weapons in the centre of the screen since it can get lost. Also don't touch the hat joystick as it will change you point of view but won't turn your mech so it can really confuse you.
    8. Start ****ing **** up!

Great. I'll just bring an effing printout next time I'm there. I got two of the staff to see if they could work it and they couldn't. :D

Meant to say my highlight of the show was the Star Wars arcade machine. That thing has dated fantastically. I meant to try and get my head around Space War (or whatever the Vectrex clone of the first video game was) and it's not easy either. No wonder it was a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

So how exactly does it work? You pay 10 Euro entrance and then you have free access to all the machines for an hour? Do you need to queue up for games?

So how exactly does it work? You pay 10 Euro entrance and then you have free access to all the machines for an hour? Do you need to queue up for games?
    Pay the 10/16/20 depending how long you want to be there then everything is free play.Queues all depend on however many are there.I didnt have a problem though.Was fcuk all people

Was there saturday, was busy but no queues, the arcade machines were always busy but there was decent turnaround so you weren't waiting other than the MVS machine being hogged by Metal Slug players.

Was there saturday, was busy but no queues, the arcade machines were always busy but there was decent turnaround so you weren't waiting other than the MVS machine being hogged by Metal Slug players.
    Weekdays make me happy. When I got in there was just some guy in a trench coat playing donkey kong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Might go tomorrow, looks like heaven to me.

Advertisement