Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game On Exhibition coming to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

been twice, its good alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I see I can't book tickets on Ticketmaster for today, is there any reason for this or is just because it's the day of the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I see I can't book tickets on Ticketmaster for today, is there any reason for this or is just because it's the day of the event?
    Just cause its on the day.You pay at the door anyway and I doubt it being full would be an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

And it wasn't! Very nice indeed. Steel Batallion was there with it's controller of doom. Very cool. I may go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Visited this today, and had a blast. Got to jam on a few games that I hadn't seen in yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears. Rapid Reload being on of the highlights for me (although, I'm sure it had a different name on it. But it was the same game as far as I can recall). Also, finally getting to play the original Street Fighter, which I've wanted to play since Street Fighter II was all the rage, took my breath away. Loved some of the muesum-ish stuff dotted around in the glass cases. Lara Croft's award was fantastic to see, and the Virtual Reality case was also quite cool. Seeing the Lynx brought back a lot of memories too.
    I was surprised though, that there were no light gun games present. No sign of Time Crisis, House Of The Dead, Point Blank... or even Duck Hunt.

Still though, I had a great time, and I might have to gather up a few quid and make another visit soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deathrider wrote: »
    Rapid Reload being on of the highlights for me (although, I'm sure it had a different name on it. But it was the same game as far as I can recall).

Yeah it was called Gunners Heaven which is the jap game. Very underrated game that got dismissed since it was a PS1 launch title with 2D graphics. It's a fantastic Gunstar Heroes clone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah it was called Gunners Heaven which is the jap game. Very underrated game that got dismissed since it was a PS1 launch title with 2D graphics. It's a fantastic Gunstar Heroes clone.

a common played game in retr0s fagbar/gaygym/YMCA

Yeah, it was great stuff. I used to rent it out a fair amount when I was in about first year. That and Twisted Metal II: World Tour got rented every other week. Would love to have it in my PS1 collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Guys just a note on anyone thinking of buying tickets - the family ticket for 3 hours is 55 at the door and a whooping 80 quid from ticketmaster - ticketmaster are charging ~25 quid service charge!

Was there on sunday with the kids - plenty of games - good fun. Steel battalion is worth it for the laugh - mech fell over cus I turned too fast :pac:. Left a high score on missile command.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

excellent exhibition for me. i spent 2 hours in there and mainly checked out the arcade machines and consoles, wasnt really bothered with the newer games. i had a big smile on me face playing metal slug and deathchase on the 48k spectrum.

that spacewar game was very good too and interesting to me that the technology was quiet advanced for the early 70s. wish the POng worked and there was no info on the old games beside spacewars,it was the first game machine built, i think from 1951. and it was hard to get a go on the projection games, people were hogging it all the time but havent said that i was hogging galaga and metal slug! i am going again friday and gonna beat that hi score in puckman and galaga. tenner for an hour isnt worth it but if you get a 2 or 3 hour or more ticket its worth it. i recommend 3 hours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

anyone know how long this is on for?
    Its a pain in the arse to get down this week , but dont want to leave it to late and find out its finished:)

anyone know how long this is on for?
    Its a pain in the arse to get down this week , but dont want to leave it to late and find out its finished:)

I've heard it's running for a few months. Not sure how true that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You can book tickets up until Jan on ticketmaster I think (dont buy them there though)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Was there on Saturday and had a great time. Definitely going to go back at some stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

yep its defo til january i emailed them yesterday to make sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 immewnity

By any chance does anyone have pictures of the Pokemon stuff? The ones from the other locations are horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I took a quick few on my phone so they're not the best and it's not all the pokemon stuff they have but here ya go anyway :P

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Does anyone have any photos of the exhibition itself? What the rooms look like etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I thought i saw someone say they are offering an all day pass for 25 euro

did i dream this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 patma2003

do they have capcom's 1942 there...? it was set in the pacific theatre of war... well.. it could be called something else in the northern hemisphere but was 1942 in oz and my fave 20c coin op back in the day... i was faithful to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Would pay good money for a go of that again... Used to have it on ps1, no idea where it might be now

efla wrote: »
    Would pay good money for a go of that again... Used to have it on ps1, no idea where it might be now

It would be well worth it. This game has lost none of it's charm. Still plays like a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

patma2003 wrote: »
    do they have capcom's 1942 there...? it was set in the pacific theatre of war... well.. it could be called something else in the northern hemisphere but was 1942 in oz and my fave 20c coin op back in the day... i was faithful to it...

Was called the same here - used to have it on the C64! Loved it too!
    ronano wrote: »
    I thought i saw someone say they are offering an all day pass for 25 euro

did i dream this?

http://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/index.php/information/ticket-prices

Just check the site :rolleyes:

€5 per hour Mon-Thurs / €25 for a day pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

patma2003 wrote: »

What a game!
    Loved the music.

Surely playable online somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'd played it before so was no other to me and stayed to help some one else out :) It's hard to get used to if don't know what you are doing. Theysaid they'd have some one there to help out with it but there was nobody. Here's how some tips for people that want to try it.

1 Make sure the gear stick is set to neutral.
    2. When you first get into the game you have to engage the cockpit. The button will be glowing and on your right hand side.
    3. Next is to boot up the computer. Again the button will glow and be on the left hand side.
    4. you'll get a heads up display of five bars, you need to flick the switches on the right, all five of them. If nothing happens flick them the opposite way.
    5. Next you have to hit the ignition button. It's on the right hand side and will be glowing. However you have to hit it at the right time, when the 5 moving bars are past the solid green line, you'll know when you see if.
    6. If all goes well you should be ready to go. Shift into first gear and hit accelerate.
    7. the left stick controls your turning, the right stick where you are aiming. try to centre the crosshair of your weapons in the centre of the screen since it can get lost. Also don't touch the hat joystick as it will change you point of view but won't turn your mech so it can really confuse you.
    8. Start ****ing **** up!

Could have done with this earlier Retr0 !!! Couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Had a blast there today, no queues.
    Galaga and Ms Pac man getting the most attention.
    Dont get why some of the newer stuff like Uncharted 2 was there though....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

eddhorse wrote: »
    Dont get why some of the newer stuff like Uncharted 2 was there though....
    ?

Because it was gaming from "start" to Modern Day. The progression is pretty clear as you walk deeper into the theatre and the games get more and more recent.

?

Because it was gaming from "start" to Modern Day. The progression is pretty clear as you walk deeper into the theatre and the games get more and more recent.

My thinking for that though is you could see or play that at home !

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Informative thread, I am thinking of going to this, but I live 30 miles west of Galway city so for me it would be a 320 mile round trip ... I would want to make sure it'd be worth it before i go that distance. Is this pretty much a big arcade where you can play games? Someone asked about merchandise, I presume this isn't like an expo where there are stands set up with people talking about games or the history of the games, or selling stuff? Or is there at least interesting history of the games development on posters beside each game or anything? Its just that if all it is is an arcade, I have a projector at home I can play the old classics on, or even my big TV, I'd be pretty disappointed if I travelled all that distance to find I could've (roughly) created the same setup at home...

There are small tags on each cabinet and game exhibit telling you more about it, not too informative though, there are also more informative paragraphs covering some of the older stuff like the "Brown Box" that later went on to be the Magnavox Odyssey methinks :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey
    It was hard to read some of it though as the lighting is quite poor as they were trying to facilitate the arcade room feel ie Dark !
    I was happy with my hour there, depends how retro you are or depending on what era of gaming you started from.
    As was mentioned some people stayed with Asteroids and R-Type and spent a lot of time there.
    If you are coming from Galway i wouldnt come just for it ! But some things you might never see again. I never played Donkey Kong, Pac-Man or Asteroids on an original cab before so that will stick with me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

So what's the verdict? Can you easily get away with paying for an hour and staying longer?

I assume there's no point in buying off ticketmaster and paying a service charge and tying yourself down to a specific day and time.

I'm going to bring my little bro for xmas, he's only 13 and I don't know how interested he'd be in the classics. He'd probably turn his nose up at them and say Black Ops is better! :D
    5 an hour is a much better price although I'm sure between xmas and new years it'll be fairly busy, do you think it's worth waiting till after the assumed "rush"?

Advertisement