Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIMM Problem

• 16-09-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I recently turned on my computer to find that it wouldnt boot up. I noted the beeps it made and went to the Dell website to see if I could find an explanation. Turns out its a "DIMMs not being properly identified or used" error.

I'm using a Dell Precision 360.

Without getting TOO technical, do ye have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Could be many things, I would suggest that to start with you should open up the computer and reinsert the ram, it may have popped out. Then if that doesnt work try one piece of ram at a time if there is more than one. If you are not sure what memory looks like or how to insert it, it should all be on youtube or somewhere similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

Could be many things, I would suggest that to start with you should open up the computer and reinsert the ram, it may have popped out. Then if that doesnt work try one piece of ram at a time if there is more than one. If you are not sure what memory looks like or how to insert it, it should all be on youtube or somewhere similar.
    Thanks for the reply, I tried that and I got no joy.

Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did you change the ram recently?

How many sticks are there. perhaps one or more have done bad?

Test each one in the machine on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

BostonB wrote: »
    Did you change the ram recently?

How many sticks are there. perhaps one or more have done bad?

Test each one in the machine on its own.
    No, I havent.

Theres 4 sticks.

I took out the Ram and replaced it one by one like ET_phone_home said, closing up the computer after each one inserted and turning it on to find that it didnt work. I then tried it but left the computer open and the computer booted up. No error beeps. I close the computer, the error beeps come back. Now even when the computer boots up its crashing. Sometimes before the Login screen, sometimes after I log in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ok. Umm that it only works when the cover off could be a couple of things.

Heat, are all the fans working and all the grills clear.

Long shot. Its it a desktop or a tower? We had some desktop Dell machines that stopped working with the covers on. Turned out the motherboards had tiny cracks and putting the cover on made the cracks wider. Put pressure on the motherboard. Turns out all the machines with the problem had been moved around a lot. Like taken home and brought back in. Some stopped booting when a monitor was put on top of the case. Same reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement