Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting required credits!?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Ok so this is a little bit complicated so bare with me....I'm in third year Arts...(currently in consultation with programme office btw, just seeing if anyone has encountered this before or is aware of the procedure). So last year(2nd year Arts) I failed two subjects in my first semester (recieving 2 E grades). I had thought I had deregistered from the repeats I was automatically registered for as I was confident of getting the grades necessary to compensate. However due to some screw up of my own doing I was in fact still registered to the repeats yet was unaware of this so didn't even attempt them. I did however pay the repeat fee and received 50/60 credits. I did really well in the rest of my subjects in the first and second semester.... I'm just wondering is it possible for me to still compensate on the strength of my second year results and bring me up to 60/60 credits???

Any help that can be offered would be really appreciated!
    Dozer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

AFAIK, with stage 2 Arts, nothing will be compensated officially until all stage 2 exams have been completed ( i.e After semester 2 of 3rd year ). If you have passed, with good grades, 75% of your modules within stage 2, you can receive compensation on E grades that were over 37.5%.

Again, i'm not 100% sure. Although, i'd be fairly confident in that.

Best check with your particular school, or Program office. Just remember the correct allocation of credits also, i.e 100 from Level 2 & 3, with at least 40 from level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dozer11

Ty for the reply very helpful! Just to clarify, is it 100 from stage 1 and 2 and at least 40 from stage 3?

Stage 2 is 120 if you are to include Electives.

But the Allocation is of Level 0-3 Modules is the important part. When you are in the registration page, and you choose, for example, Pol 30200- Thats a level 3, of which you need at least 40 credits,or 8 modules from the 12 that you select this year.

Also, you need at least 100 credits, or 20 modules that are level two or three which are basically your second and third year ones. Therefore, if you chose all Level 2 modules last year, and have a minimum of 8 level 3 modules this year, you're grand.

I hope this is not more confusing for you :pac:

ok sweet I get ya! Ty for the assistance!

Just wondering if the electives Ive done in stage 2 which are in essence 1st year electives count as stage 2 credits in terms of making up the 100 credits from stage 2 and 3? As I have them assigned as stage 2 electives. Or if I'm looking to make up the 100 credits by doing an elective or two do they have to be from stage 2 and 3 also?

• Advertisement

If they are Lvl 1 electives, i.e Pol 10010 then no, they do not count, regardless of what year you pick them in.

The 100 credits from stage two is the core and option modules which are 50 from second and 50 from third year. (The Electives make up to remaining 20 credits, of 10 per year) Electives can be any level, and only if you choose lvl 2 or 3 will they count towards the '100 required credits'. But in saying that, you should have only chosen lvl 2 / 3 core / option modules last year anyway, so you're on course for making the required amount of credits, regardless of electives or not.

What are your Major/Minors?

kool, think I got it all under control now! Doing a joint major in classics and geog. Tough enough but enjoyable!

Advertisement