Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a good "Start your own business" course around Galway?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good solid "Start your own business course" around Galway. I've checked out a few but they're mainly all very waffley stuff about marketting and business plans.

I'm looking for something relating to what forms need to be filed for registering as a business, what the tax people require etc.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

What's the business Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I want to set up a small web development company, aimed at small/medium-sized businesses around the city initially. I've been doing small jobs for clubs, societies, relatives for free for a good while but I'd like to keep it all above board if I'm to start charging and setting up properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I did the Fás SYOB course, while it did go into a fair bit of marketing/product placement/tax and stuff they were also pretty concise about the forms required and bodies you needed to register with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

spender.j wrote: »
    forms required and bodies you needed to register with...

Ah OK, I've heard mixed reports about the FÁS course, many said it lacked these elements, I must give it a proper look now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

foto_joe, i did something similar, however never really advertised last year..

I can tell you a few things about what i would do, and what i did do to set up, and if you want someone to go in on it with you, i could do with the extra few bob... Maybe we should meet for pints at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you check in Entrepreneurial forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Fuctifino wrote: »
    foto_joe, i did something similar, however never really advertised last year..

I can tell you a few things about what i would do, and what i did do to set up, and if you want someone to go in on it with you, i could do with the extra few bob... Maybe we should meet for pints at some stage

A few pints ehh,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

foto joe wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good solid "Start your own business course" around Galway. I've checked out a few but they're mainly all very waffley stuff about marketting and business plans.

I'm looking for something relating to what forms need to be filed for registering as a business, what the tax people require etc.

Thanks for any advice!

Did you talk with the County & City Enterprise Board down in Woodquay?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Same as above the galway enterprise center , a great help , the evening course is free .
    Best of luck .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fyi, be aware that you'll be competing with folks from the Web Activate programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The book 'Starting a business in Ireland' used to be good for practical details and decisions.

Not sure if it is kept up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevinbarry

the Galway City partnership which is upstairs from lidl and Argos run business courses which are free for unemployed people. Ask for Oonagh Monaghan. 091 773466

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I'm pretty sure that GMIT business dept do one and it's free. Probably worth calling the business dept and finding out.

Advertisement