Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More cabling pulling in Charlesland

Options
  • 16-09-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

While passing yesterday I noticed at least two unmarked white vans with plenty of cable being pulled just off the main roundabout at Charlesland and into the second roundabout for Superquinn.

Possibly unrelated, there was an eircom van on the access road outside Superquinn.

Anyone got any inside knowledge as to what this effort is for? Sort of hoping we'll see an increase in channels on UPC and possible HD conent - long shot I know.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Have seen them working at the old JS roundabout as well pulling cable, so could well be UPS trying to hook up Eden Gate to the fibre down in Charlesland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Its the 3 network moving into the area

014369BL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

eircom are not due to complete the Next Gen rollout for Greystones et al until early next year. But it's a start I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

ciaran67 wrote: »

014369BL.jpg

Dang, I was hoping for HD on UPC... they have a good deal on at the moment for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

copper cabling is quite valuable these days, probably someone pulling it up to make money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Quackhart wrote: »
    eircom are not due to complete the Next Gen rollout for Greystones et al until early next year. But it's a start I suppose.

Next generation is an upgrade between exchange and core network exchange isnt on the main street afaik.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cryos wrote: »
    Next generation is an upgrade between exchange and core network exchange isnt on the main street afaik.

Still wont make a difference in North Kilcoole barely 1mb they really need an exchange in Kilcoole!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Still wont make a difference in North Kilcoole barely 1mb they really need an exchange in Kilcoole!

Exactly, however within the area (kilcoole + greystones) there is some good wireless providers, there is always the potential in the future that UPC will extend their network from charlesland to other parts of greystones and potentially kilcoole.

The difficulty with kilcoole is that the town is devided half and half, from the sea road northwards is connected via the Greystones exchange; for everything south of this line is connected via Newtown.

The irony is that on average your phone will get better speed than your eircom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Cryos wrote: »
    however within the area (kilcoole + greystones) there is some good wireless providers,

There may be some good providers but their coverage is somewhat patchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

ciaran67 wrote: »

Actually, is there anywhere I can find news on this move by 3? I'm with them as my mobile provider and the coverage I'm getting around this area has been pretty poor unfortunately. :( Very low signal strengths, with 3G cutting out quite frequently, and choppy voice quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just sitting watching a bit of football on ESPN on the UPC box. The football match is obviously captured in full HD style and the downscaled for the regular ESPN channel. The picture is a bit crap! I think with the amount of content now being broadcast in HD, UPC need to up the ante and get their HD system in town.

I don't wish to go down the Sky route just yet, but come the new year, when the new season begins, those HD sports channels like Setanta, Eurosport and ESPN which come with the Max package will make me reconsider who I give a few quid to just to watch sport.

Anyone else with a similar grievance and considering switching to Sky?

</rant>

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement